Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Replacing the D50 mics?  (Read 2273 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Replacing the D50 mics?
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:56:09 PM »
Has anyone here ever heard of someone replacing the internal Sony D50 mics with higher quality ones? Is this even possible?

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Replacing the D50 mics?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:01:56 AM »
Has anyone here ever heard of someone replacing the internal Sony D50 mics with higher quality ones? Is this even possible?
I think the mics there are pretty good, actually.  Broad frequency response, including bass.  And quite a lot of detail.  IMO they don't sound great for music (distortion?) but for ambient, they are quite realistic.

Well, if anyone takes it apart, I'd like to know what capsules are in there...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Replacing the D50 mics?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:13:34 AM »
I remember that Chris Church was considering this, but he did not have a D50 to play with.  You may want to e-mail him and see if he would be willing to work on your unit.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com