Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 126316 times)

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #390 on: August 16, 2019, 06:45:47 PM »
Thank you, good to know.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #391 on: August 17, 2019, 03:53:13 AM »
Seems like the A10 might benefit from the hold system on the Zoom F1.  On that, there's a menu option to turn on the "record hold" feature.  Once that is engaged, when it is recording there is absolutely no way to stop it (not even turning off power) unless you press "stop" and "rec" at the same time.  And the record button has a ring found it so it is fairly hard to press in accidentally, let alone with the stop button pressed as well.   For all I know that may be an option on other devices, but apparently not the A10.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #392 on: August 17, 2019, 12:29:37 PM »
I think I remember reading in this thread that there is no way to turn off the mic in power?

If that's the case, is powering additive? In other words, if I use a battery box will the total power provided the mics be battery box voltage + A10 voltage?
there is no pip if you don’t use ‘mic in’

When you plug in to it, it prompts you for ‘audio in’ or ‘mic in’ as well as auto or manual gain
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #393 on: August 18, 2019, 06:45:12 PM »
I think I remember reading in this thread that there is no way to turn off the mic in power?

If that's the case, is powering additive? In other words, if I use a battery box will the total power provided the mics be battery box voltage + A10 voltage?
there is no pip if you don’t use ‘mic in’

When you plug in to it, it prompts you for ‘audio in’ or ‘mic in’ as well as auto or manual gain

I was aware, but I appreciate your reply.

Unless I am running a preamp, I would always want to select mic in, correct?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #394 on: August 18, 2019, 07:04:00 PM »
I don't run an A-10, but in the M-10, I will choose whichever gives me the most appropriate gain for the show. If I choose mic-in for a super loud show, I have to dial it down to about 2.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 08:09:35 AM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #395 on: August 18, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »
depends. some mics have higher output. id say in *most* cases without a preamp you would want mic in, but not necessarily *all* cases
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #396 on: August 19, 2019, 12:07:55 AM »

Unless I am running a preamp, I would always want to select mic in, correct?

When I run a battery box to my M10, I plug into line in.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #397 on: August 19, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »
depends. some mics have higher output. id say in *most* cases without a preamp you would want mic in, but not necessarily *all* cases

This. Depends on the mics and the volume of the show.

Online ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #398 on: August 19, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »
Nothing to really add here except I just bit the bullet and bought an PCM-A10. Pretty excited for more pocket space, as I had been using a nearly 20 year old CNJB3 as my "stealth" deck.

For those of you with one already, what is this about Mic-line power? Will it supply voltage to the mics, removing the need for a bat box? I have a pair of AT831s that I got years ago from Church Audio he'd modified that I had been using with the simplest of battery boxes ever made, a straight chip on a 9V battery (again from CA).

Open to recommendations on bat box, been out of the taping loop for some time. Just looking for something that'll maybe last me another...20 years ;D

Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #399 on: August 19, 2019, 10:18:36 PM »
use same battery box, line in to A10
Nothing to really add here except I just bit the bullet and bought an PCM-A10. Pretty excited for more pocket space, as I had been using a nearly 20 year old CNJB3 as my "stealth" deck.

For those of you with one already, what is this about Mic-line power? Will it supply voltage to the mics, removing the need for a bat box? I have a pair of AT831s that I got years ago from Church Audio he'd modified that I had been using with the simplest of battery boxes ever made, a straight chip on a 9V battery (again from CA).

Open to recommendations on bat box, been out of the taping loop for some time. Just looking for something that'll maybe last me another...20 years ;D

Offline nulldogmas

• Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #400 on: August 19, 2019, 10:32:37 PM »
Yeah, you can use your mics direct in to the mic in without a battery box (just like with an M10), but you'll get much better results with that battery box, since it provides much higher voltage.

Online ol' dirty taper

• Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #401 on: August 20, 2019, 01:00:24 AM »
Thank you both for the reply. Hoping it'll arrive by the end of the week so I can take it on a test run.

Yeah, you can use your mics direct in to the mic in without a battery box (just like with an M10), but you'll get much better results with that battery box, since it provides much higher voltage.
use same battery box, line in to A10
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #402 on: August 28, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »
Mine is arriving Friday.

I have AT933's (SP version), CA-14's (Omnis & Cards)
Also have
CA-9200 Pre and a SP Battery Box

Going to a loud Rock show next week in the pit and want to try it out. While I would love to get away with no battery box, am I best off using Omni's and SP BB? Any chance of no battery box/pre? Anyone use it without battery box and has samples?

Thanks!
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #403 on: August 29, 2019, 09:51:14 AM »
you really need to power those CA-14's.  Not sure on the AT's.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #404 on: August 29, 2019, 10:51:59 AM »
I tried going without a battery box for this show (noise rock band):

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlBz6g1ndWjHuExyISO6Sd2RE2P5?e=5zLDbc

It came out OK, but I think it would have been better with the BB. I had it set on recording level 1, so I didn't have anywhere to go if it had been much louder.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com