Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HEBs>D7: Rolloff, mic in vs line in, SBM-1  (Read 1430 times)

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
HEBs>D7: Rolloff, mic in vs line in, SBM-1
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:05:58 PM »
Hi everyone… I am new to this board.  I’ve been lurking for a while and have also gleaned a lot of info from back searches into the forums.  I’ve been stealth taping since ’91 with several setups including my primary rig Sonics DSM6S>D7.  I’ve never used a bass rolloff.  In general I’ve had decent results except the bass boominess/distortion has gotten to be more and more aggravating to the point that now I can’t stand it and have upgraded to HEBs.  I took my new mics out for a test run last week and unfortunately there seemed to be a problem with the battery box (loose connection on “flat”, okay on “filter”) so now it’s back in Len’s hands for HOPEFULLY a quick repair.  In the meantime I had a couple questions for y’all.

1.  With the Sonics, I’ve always used mic in on my D7, lo sensitivity, no problems ever with clipping.  I understand that the CS battery box / rolloff only works with mic in, not line in.  I never really understood the difference between mic in and line in, I just knew to avoid the line in.  What is the reason for this, and how does it relate (if at all) to my new HEBs?

2.  I understand the HEBs can take a lot more SPLs without failing like the Sonics.  I’m hoping to avoid having to use the rolloff… I don’t want my recordings to sound thin.  On my test run last week, the filtered stuff got through okay, it sounded decent but was a bit lacking on the low end.  Will I be able to pull a nice rich recording that doesn’t have that blasted boominess if I don’t use the rolloff?  I know I should just test it out but with the mics in Len’s shop and a big show coming up in two weeks I’m afraid it might be down to the wire and I won’t have a lot of time to experiment.  I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance...  ::)

3.  Would it be worth investing in an SBM-1?  I have a limited understanding when it comes to A-to-D converters, preamps, etc… all that “stuff” between the mics and the deck.  I've noticed a lot of people use the SBM-1 with their Sony DATs.  What would an SBM-1 add to my recordings?  Remember I have a D7… it’s old but has been very carefully handled over the past 12 years.  It has the Sonic Studios “MOD-2” which I’m not sure is relevant to anything I’ve said so far.

I’m so glad I found this board… I’m looking forward to learning a lot. I’m also starting to experiment with video, but that’s another post.

P.S. My name isn’t really Gilda, that’s just a stupid login.

Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
Re: HEBs>D7: Rolloff, mic in vs line in, SBM-1
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
1:  The HEB batt box will work with line in.  You don't mention which flavor of HEBs you have but my HEB 4060s go line in to my SBM-1 and sound excellent all the time.  Line in will give you a cleaner sound because it doesn't have the extra pre-amp stage that the mic input does. You just need a mic that outputs enough to record a strong signal through the line in.

2:  I use the roll off on my HEB batt box because if I don't there is too much low end and everything else suffers.  At first I didn't want to use roll off and I would do it in post but now I'm very comfortable using the roll off and it still sounds good with less work on the back end.

3:  I like my SBM-1.  I look at it more as easy input level control into the jb3 but I like the super bit map sound as well.  It is an extra piece of gear to carry/charge/connect.  Prices have been dropping in the yard sale so you could try one out for not much money.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
Re: HEBs>D7: Rolloff, mic in vs line in, SBM-1
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 02:19:25 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I've read somewhere else on this board that Len at CS makes the HEB battery boxes to only work with mic in... However, I will do some experimenting and see for myself.  I am on the lookout for an SBM-1.  I know it's another piece of gear to worry about (minimizing my gear was the reason I didn't even want to use a battery box/rolloff for years); however I'm now willing to suffer for a better recording.   :)
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com