Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: etree question  (Read 4774 times)

Offline eddie20850

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
etree question
« on: June 26, 2014, 06:37:58 PM »
not sure where to post this hope its ok here.  i searched for old posts similar to avoid creating new post but didn't find any.

I just wanna confirm I'm being smart about d/l etree shows then seeding .  Thanks to all the tapers' who post shows on etree, and dime and traders den.  Should I use uTorrent or Vuze(i mostly used Vuze) or is one less risky that the other?  I'm then using WinAmp to listen.  I have had blue screen of death on several pc's and just want to confirm that I'm not exposing my pc to bad stuff.  I'm not using high end equipment Any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: etree question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »
uTorrent 3.1.3 is considered clean, lightweight and problem free.  More recent versions add nothing of value I'm told, so find an install for that build and just ignore the popup prompting update at startup.  I'm no power torrenter but it works problem free on a couple aging laptop PCs.

Winamp is fine for playback, I mostly use Foobar2000.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
I use uTorrent and Foobar too.  I always thought a blue screen was a driver issue / failure.  However, you do have to be carefully what you download.
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:57:55 AM »
I will agree utorrent is great just dint click any of the advertisements on the sides. They will be fine as long as you don't click them. You will have some weird stuff show up.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »
You have advertisements pop up on the sidebar?  I don't see any of that.  Later version maybe?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »
You have advertisements pop up on the sidebar?  I don't see any of that.  Later version maybe?

I think it has to do with how you install it??? 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
this link tells you how to disable utorrent ads http://lifehacker.com/disable-ads-in-utorrent-via-settings-826283231

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »
uTorrent 3.2 on this particular machine (just checked).  No ads with this install, don't think I did any non-standard configuring other than the typical unchecking of any obvious extra stuff when running the installer.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
i'm running 3.4.2 (latest) which did have ads until I removed them

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 03:24:06 PM »
I do updates when suggested but I ignore the ads, especially the very tempting ones like "Your download is too slow"   :P

uTorrent is excellent tho. I started with Azureus a long time ago and it has nice features but it is bloated and slow. Java based if I remember correctly. uTorrent is much more efficient especially if you pull stuff from Dime or TTD and leave them seeded for a long time like I do to help with ratio and to help others get old stuff.

foobar to listen on. I used Winamp for a while as well and I know many people like it but I felt it wasted a lot of time looking pretty which is something I don't care about. Foobar is great and seems especially well suited for listening to downloaded filesets. Right click and "Enqueue to Foobar", etc.

Lots of things can cause blue screens. Could be torrent client, could be winamp, could be something you downloaded, could be confused OS or driver issues. hard to say. What's the last thing you installed or changed prior to noticing that start?

If it's frequent you might consider reinstalling the OS fresh (ie wipe the drive after doing some REALLY good backups) especially if you've been running the box for a while.

Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline eddie20850

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:01:53 PM »
I do updates when suggested but I ignore the ads, especially the very tempting ones like "Your download is too slow"   :P

uTorrent is excellent tho. I started with Azureus a long time ago and it has nice features but it is bloated and slow. Java based if I remember correctly. uTorrent is much more efficient especially if you pull stuff from Dime or TTD and leave them seeded for a long time like I do to help with ratio and to help others get old stuff.

foobar to listen on. I used Winamp for a while as well and I know many people like it but I felt it wasted a lot of time looking pretty which is something I don't care about. Foobar is great and seems especially well suited for listening to downloaded filesets. Right click and "Enqueue to Foobar", etc.

Lots of things can cause blue screens. Could be torrent client, could be winamp, could be something you downloaded, could be confused OS or driver issues. hard to say. What's the last thing you installed or changed prior to noticing that start?

thanks for replies.  i put that machine w/bsod aside and am now gonna just mainly download/upload via my mac mini.  only problem is that I can listen to FLACs on the mac, so i got a cheap laptop w/hdmi out to listen.  i'm gonna stay with vuze/winamp since its what i'm familiar with.  anyone else use NAS?  I love it since I can down/upload on Mac and listen on a different system.  its a 2TB and 3/4 full, so i have to look ahead and see what to get next.  i have my iTunes 380GB on a different external drive, but i guess i'd like to explore buidling a music server, so i can have all music on 1 drive.  is that efficient?  i'll browse the forum for ideas.  it could have iTunes, and all my etree stuff too.  so thankful to all you guys who tape/post, and answer on these boards.  hope all are having a good summer

If it's frequent you might consider reinstalling the OS fresh (ie wipe the drive after doing some REALLY good backups) especially if you've been running the box for a while.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com