Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap laptop rig  (Read 5586 times)

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Cheap laptop rig
« on: February 23, 2003, 11:24:24 PM »
OK, what is the cheapest form of doing some laptop taping?  I am kinda of looking to put together the el cheapo variety, maybe a 200 mhz processor and record on it.  I think Nick of the infamous nickspicks, sorry don't know his last name, has done this.  Any suggestions?  Also, say I put this together, what do I need to take the audio off of the laptop and put it onto my homecomputer?  Firewire?  Thanks for the help.  The other option I was considering was the jukebox 3.  Is the consensus that it finally works?  I have seen plenty of highend sources popping up with the jukebox behind it, so I assume it does...and the latest dat heads said something to that effect!

Have a great monday

Daryan

Hey armen, I got some free snow falling here in Iowa right now.  Maybe I will go put a cup out, collect it, and send it to you. The high here tomorrow is supposed to be 9 freakin' degrees, maybe I will package up some air for you too! ;D :D :)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Cheap laptop rig
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 11:55:53 PM »
Suh-weet! Don't forget the dry ice for packaging, though. It's going to be hot tomorrow! Just like every day! Man, I gotta say "Screw school" and go spend some hours at the beach... it's been time to do that since early Janurary. ;D
By the way, Shure said they'd just up and send a replacement for that fucked-up attenuator. I sent it in a couple weeks ago so a new one should be here soon.
Anyway, back to laptop taping...
A

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 12:33:31 PM »
OK, what is the cheapest form of doing some laptop taping?  I am kinda of looking to put together the el cheapo variety, maybe a 200 mhz processor and record on it.  I think Nick of the infamous nickspicks, sorry don't know his last name, has done this.  Any suggestions?  Also, say I put this together, what do I need to take the audio off of the laptop and put it onto my homecomputer?  Firewire?  Thanks for the help.  The other option I was considering was the jukebox 3.  Is the consensus that it finally works?  I have seen plenty of highend sources popping up with the jukebox behind it, so I assume it does...and the latest dat heads said something to that effect!

hey D,

if i were you, i would give the JB3 a whirl.  makes a lot of sense for your setup.  even if you get a cheapo lappy, you still need to get the audio into the darn thing, so this will mean a VX or the like.  

the JB3 is pretty damn good nowadays, from what i hear.  if it DOES happen to dropout a time or two, here or there, this is easily fixed in post.  you may get a dropout every 3 shows, or you may not get any at all, who knows?  

especially if you have the DAT as backup, this route makes the most sense.  utilize the Optical -> output of your AD1K and you're good to go with the JB3.

~S

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 02:44:22 PM »
D,

If you are interested in going the laptop route check out www.compgeeks.com  They always have phat deals on all computer gear.

Jonny

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2003, 07:47:59 PM »
I don't know which way I am gonna go yet, but I will continue to run the da-p1 anyway, along with a jukebox or lapppy, so a drop out here and there is not a huge deal...I would just transfer the other source in that case!  Hey scott, I hope you had fun in chicago!

Daryan

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 08:26:06 PM »
yeah, i did, bro, thanks!  

me and my taping partner got shot down in flames, but the other half of Team Wisco sucked it up and saved the day!  shoot me an addy, and i'll send you the discs.  

was a good trip.  only downers being:

1)  the w00ks pulling fire alarms all night in the Hotels.  
2)  coming down with a wicked ass Flu bug in Cincy before the show on Sat.  

blech!  sick as a dog.  still went to the show.  sucked down 4 beers to try and convince my body i was feeling a lil 'off' due to alcohol, not disease!  werked for the most part.  got through it.  good times.  good memories.  was definately the 'sickest' show i have ever seen, i'll tell ya that!  ;)

now if i could just get rid of this damn bug!  FUCK!  i hate being sick!  hehe...  

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2003, 10:09:51 PM »
I am glad you guys had fun...who got busted ;)  I will pm you my address.  Damn you guys, used my tickets and saw the best show ever, fuckers!

D

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2003, 10:22:11 PM »
actually, all three shows we saw had their highlights.  my favorite of the run was first night Cincy.  really tight jamming, and the wife called the vaccum!  haha!  no shit!  ;)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2003, 09:47:51 AM »
the only reason to head the laptop route is if you are going to go die-hard 24bit.  (IMO)
I tell you what, that there 24bit clarity is addictive.

If you are still going to be 16bit recording then the JB3 is mighty attractive, cheaper and less hassle.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com