Gear / Technical Help > Recording Media

ever repair a broken DAT tape?

(1/4) > >>

ellaguru:
had my 1 st DAT tape break on a misload today on the D8...tape was problematic (a couple digi zaps) on the da-45hr, so i figured id throw it in the original deck for a wav conversion.  something told me as i shut the lid on the D8 that i was about to kiss this tape goodbye...and sure as shit...misload/lunched tape..the break is at the start of the hub.

i would be willing to compensate someone if they could get it back together for me.  i have 'zero' skills when it comes to splicing tape. 

i was the only taper at the gig

thanks for your time..
chris

aosone:

I've done it, but am not willing to do another.

live2496:
I will repair it for you.

Gordon

ellaguru:

--- Quote from: live2496 on November 17, 2010, 03:44:18 PM ---I will repair it for you.

Gordon

--- End quote ---

pm sent...thanks a ton

it-goes-to-eleven:
It sounds like you're in luck...  Though I did find this but of advice that seemed worth passing on.  If I was around, I'd offer to help.  Don't forget to wear gloves.
--

You need to be very careful splicing DAT tape -- or video tape for that matter.

The heads on the spinning drum sit slightly proud of the surface and a tape splice running through can chop the head off in an instant. I've been in the room when that has happened (twice, in fact)! Result, one dead DAT machine and you still can't play the tape!

You can physically splice the tape, if you have some splicing tape and the appropriate talent, but make sure that the splice is placed a turn or two onto the take-up spool and be really, really careful not to play that region over the heads.

If you don't have the resources to splice the tape, then you might be able to clip the end of the good bit of tape into the take up spool hub directly in place of the original leader, although that's much easier with some cassette shell designs than others...

At least you'll be able to extract the rest of the tape that way, which is better than nothing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version