Gear / Technical Help > Recording Media

Errors On The Last 30-45 Minutes Of SOME of My DATs :(

<< < (2/2)

OldNeumanntapr:
I don't think it's the deck. My D8 has never been used for anything other than mastering live shows. It's also the newest DAT recorder that I have and was purchased new in 2002. Mine was the LAST D8 that Terrapin Tapes had in their inventory. I just finished transferring both DATs from the 7/22/96 Furthur Festival at Wolf Mountain Amphitheatre in Park City Utah (DSBDs) and it worked fine with no errors. Both tapes were Sony audio grades.

twatts (pants are so over-rated...):

--- Quote from: OldNeumanntapr on June 21, 2014, 01:34:07 PM ---
Thanks Terry for your offer. I am going to continue to try and transfer these and I will give you a list of the ones that are problematic for me.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, put them aside (especially that 4/17/99 Phil and Friends!  Since the SBDs got circulated, no one care about the AUDs...  Except me!)...

Send them to me when you're done and I'll try them out in my Rigs (r500 and/or da20mkII)...  But some DATs are just "bad dats" and can't be saved...

Terry

OldNeumanntapr:

--- Quote from: twatts (Where Are My Pants?) on June 22, 2014, 12:54:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: OldNeumanntapr on June 21, 2014, 01:34:07 PM ---
Thanks Terry for your offer. I am going to continue to try and transfer these and I will give you a list of the ones that are problematic for me.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, put them aside (especially that 4/17/99 Phil and Friends!  Since the SBDs got circulated, no one care about the AUDs...  Except me!)...

Send them to me when you're done and I'll try them out in my Rigs (r500 and/or da20mkII)...  But some DATs are just "bad dats" and can't be saved...

Terry

--- End quote ---

Thanks again for the offer. I'll let you know how many of them are problematic. I'm hoping that the problem ones that are uncirculated sources can be saved, but I know that it's in the hands of the 'DAT Gods' and nothing is certain.
I was able to get a clean 1st set copy from the 4/17/99 P&F show at least, so I only need a miracle on the Second set. ;)

I wish my other decks were still working, but the D7 won't latch with a tape inside (it will when it's empty), and the DA-30 and 59 ES have transport trouble. (The 59 ES has been in a box since 1999 but I never had the heart the toss it.) The DA-P1 was a valiant work horse and fought the good fight but succumbed to motor trouble late last year.

ONT-

F.O.Bean:
Ahh DAT, so glad we broke up all those years ago. Don't get me wrong, we had some fun and I loved the DAT Days ;D But I will hopefully never have to do real-time transfers ever again. Just to start over because there was a 1 second spot of diginoise 80 minutes into the set and you want a fresh transfer so you start all over :P ;D I just don't know what to do with all of my DATs?!?! I just put them in "storage" recently!

Might be that the heads were maybe misaligned and playing that tape back on anything but the original deck will probably yield some artifacts. Well, that happened to me anyway and I had similar problems as you are having now!

Its such a beautiful thing to be able to transfer 1gb/minute on my outdated PC versus waiting hours for the same thing lol :)

Best of luck!!!

Gil:
Perhaps you might have better luck with a DDS drive?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version