Gear / Technical Help > Recording Media

Sony releases special memory cards for music. Costs 5x the regular price.

<< < (2/5) > >>

it-goes-to-eleven:
A lot of folks are expressing knee-jerk reactions about this, and then having to eat some crow.

Memory cards generate noise in operation.  That noise can interfere with other circuitry. Engineering a card to minimize that noise is potentially a viable solution for some applications.

Here are some posts from 2013 where folks are fighting this very issue.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?14285-STOP-THE-UHF-INTERFERENCE-FROM-YOUR-GO-PRO-CAMERA%28s%29

stevetoney:
For my part is this discussion, I'm happy to eat crow.  But before I'll drink from that glass of kool-aid and shell out for something that looks and feels like snake oil, Sony needs to present the technical information to justify taking that sip.

DF81:
Eh, I've purchased a couple $100 64GB SanDisk Extreme cards for video, but they are necessary for recording in RAW or the higher Pro Res settings.  If you aren't using a fast enough card my camera displays an "!" over the recording light which means frames are dropping.  I don't see this as an issue with most SD cards recording audio unless it's an insane sample rate i.e. more than 192kHZ.  Also, most SD cards are misleading on the package.  They advertise the read rate (which is almost always much higher than the write rate) and the write rate is either in small print on the rear packaging or not mentioned at all (which means I would avoid that brand).

stevetoney:

--- Quote from: DF81 on February 23, 2015, 05:00:18 PM ---Eh, I've purchased a couple $100 64GB SanDisk Extreme cards for video, but they are necessary for recording in RAW or the higher Pro Res settings.  If you aren't using a fast enough card my camera displays an "!" over the recording light which means frames are dropping.  I don't see this as an issue with most SD cards recording audio unless it's an insane sample rate i.e. more than 192kHZ.  Also, most SD cards are misleading on the package.  They advertise the read rate (which is almost always much higher than the write rate) and the write rate is either in small print on the rear packaging or not mentioned at all (which means I would avoid that brand).

--- End quote ---

See that's why I don't understand about this whole issue.  Your comment is about card speed, but they're marketing based on card noise.  They're saying the cards generate noise and this affects card efficiency.  (I assume they mean electronic noise.)

OK, so lets assume that this isn't bull.  The first question I'd have, what am I getting for the extra $100.  What makes that card better...what did they do to the design of that card to make it immune to this noise they say affects my card noise performance?

Next question...has anyone ever actually heard a noisy SD card?  I can't say I've ever heard it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happened.  I have heard plenty of people say they have a slow card, so yeah lost frames on video and drop-outs on audio are the result...but that's not noise.   I could see where a noise could degrade a video signal (lines on the screen?), but I can't say I've ever experienced random digi-noise on my cards.

If we don't hear any noise issues on our existing media, then what is the real issue here?  Why would I want to spend $100 extra dollars on media that results in literally no perceptible benefit to me? 

I could see someone's response being, well this isn't marketed to you, it's marketed to studio's and high end, but I'd still have the same questions if I was a high end user.  Is Sony just using a two price concept (similar to hospitals that charge one price for direct billing to a consumer and another when insurance covers the service), where they're marketing the exact same product under two different product titles where pro-sumers are apt to pay one price and consumers will pay the lower price.

cybergaloot:
The link to supposed problems with SD card noise refers to RF signals which are way off in the inaudible range. Does it affect the recorder being able to write 1's and 0's? I highly doubt it and as has been said, I've never heard a problem even with slow cheap cards. One word of caution though, some counterfeit cards are being sold but usually the problem is that they say they are some capacity above 8GB but it real practice they only hold 8.

In a studio I doubt they are recording to an SD card. Usually there it's to a hard drive though that may be changing to SSD instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version