Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Taping with MP3 Nomad Jukebox

<< < (2/7) > >>

jpschust:
There is quite a bit of info on the OADE board about taping with this... Doesn't do 24 bit, but it does go bit for bit...I won't say this will replace DAT but it might replace MD.    Doug Oade makes a good point on there about the concept of removable media.  Not every show we tape needs to be moved to CD.  Nice part about DAT is you can remove the DAT and leave it for later and not be worried about taking up space :-)

Jonny

mde420:
Very true, but let's put aside the "archiving" aspect of this and talk of it replacing other mediums.  I've seen the discussion on the Oade board, and it's getting heated.  But no one is talking about how well it works in the field.  I know that the SPDIF cable has been know to cause some problems, but my experience on the SPDIF cable, is you need a right angle one.  How caomparable is it to DAT sound wise?  I know MD grabs about 80% of the sound, which is not bad at all.  Is this grabbing 100% like DAT?  It as  digi out via the USB and firewire.  If someone has a great set of mics, pre, and a/d, this thing has some great potential!

jpschust:
Michael,

Honestly- instead of spending 400 dollars on this, Id rather save my money for a few more months and buy a laptop.  we are now seeing laptops (good ones) for field recording being configured for as low as 5-600 dollars.  If you are gonna go half way, why not go all the way and get something you can do everything on!  (plus I can watch dvd's on mine during the plane rides home from some of my further away shows :-) )

originalskankin:
JP,
   where have you seen those 5-600$ laptops?   could you steer me in the right direction?

jpschust:
id just check out ebay... anythign p3 + 128 mb ram 12 gig hard drive or more.  those should be your minimums.  also make sure you will be able to acquire a phat battery for it as well (take the manufacturers time on the battery and divide it by 3 to get actual recording time out of the battery)

Jonny

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version