Gear / Technical Help > Remote Power

Rechargeable AA Batteries for Band IEMs

(1/4) > >>

baustin:
5 members of a band I manage run IEMs which each require 2 AA batteries, so 10 per show. We're going through a lot of batteries and would like to move to a rechargeable system plus a duplicate back.

Any suggestions on long lasting, dependable rechargeable AA battery systems? Shows generally last 2hrs. These things don't use a ton of juice.

Li-ion the way to go?

jerryfreak:
i’d start with the ikea ladda (rebranded eneloops), and one of the high end maha chargers like the C-9000 or better. buy some extra batts so you have 20 or so. rotate them out. every 8 weeks do a full analyze and write the capacity right on the battery. this allows you to ‘match’ the best pairs for use and take out ones that are down 20% or more.

if 2500 mah can get you through a show with room to spare,  this is likely the simplest/cheapest/most robust option

Scooter123:
Sennheiser IEMS use a factory pack and a recharge rack for multiple charges on a pair of EK packs.  . https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BA2015G2--sennheiser-ba-2015-rechargeable-battery-pack   . There are multiple pack charging stations.

Shure P3’s have a similar system. Springsteen and Jackson Browne use these and this two antenna system insures good reception as opposed to the single EK system which supposedly uses the IEM cable as the second antenna, which is bull.   The Shure battery pack lasts a whole set.  Which for Springsteen says a lot.  .  https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/sb900a . Again, there are multiple pack charging stations.

I use AAs.  I’ve had repeated failures with rechargeables and simply can’t afford to have one go down in the middle of a show, even when the rechargeable is showing a solid green. I use the old partially used batteries for sound check. At $70 per pack, I can buy a boat load of batteries.

boa:
Has anyone tried any of the rechargeable NiMH 2800mah AA batteries (Powerowl/EBL/Bonai) or Lithium Li-ion AA's (Deleepow) that I see on amazon?

jerryfreak:
2800 might be just branding. that would be at the top end of capacity for the chemistry and in reality they may not be any better than the 2400-2700 mAH rated cells

ive never seen the 1.5V lithium cells but they probably are flat as heck considering they are regulating the already flat 3.7V native voltage

i see there are some reviews, perhaps with capacity tests, on youtube

this is a review of a similar design, and higher voltage of the li-ions aside (which may or may not be useful for your application), the conventional NIMHs have higher capacity. brand new eneloop/ LADDAs test 2200-2400 mAH and are considerably cheaper

you can probably find similar real-time tests for the specific NiMHs you asked about

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version