Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

DPA MMA-A cable issue

(1/5) > >>

WiFiJeff:
I have had two lightening-to-microUSB cables crap out in the past few weeks, for two MMA-A d:vices which I have been using for the past few years.  The cable outside insulation near the lightening connector has cracked (both about 2-3 years old, used but not mistreated or jerked around much).  While I have a new cable on order from DPA, I don't feel like continuing to spend $70 for a piece of junk cable.  Does anyone have another source, known to work with the MMA-A (to iPhone), preferably cheaper and/or more durable than the garbage DPA provides??

Help!

Jeff

dactylus:
Hello Jeff,

Checking to see if you were able to find a suitable replacement cable? 

Thanks,

David

WiFiJeff:

--- Quote from: dactylus on December 06, 2021, 08:08:04 AM ---Hello Jeff,

Thanks,

David

--- End quote ---

No luck far.  DPA will not give any info on what is needed (clearly the cable has to provide power from the iPhone to the MMA-A and take an audio signal from the MMA-A to the phone, have not found any that do this nor have I found anyone who will try to make one) and offered me a 10% discount on their unsatisfactory cable (I can do as well at B&H with the Payboo sales tax break).  I think the US DPA guys don't know, and the Danish ones do not answer.

For the Sonosax SX-M2D2-to-iPhone the Apple camera dongle works fine, but that does not require any power from the iPhone, the dongle does not help with any cable I have tried for the MMA-A.

dactylus:

--- Quote from: WiFiJeff on December 06, 2021, 08:34:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: dactylus on December 06, 2021, 08:08:04 AM ---Hello Jeff,

Thanks,

David

--- End quote ---

No luck far.  DPA will not give any info on what is needed (clearly the cable has to provide power from the iPhone to the MMA-A and take an audio signal from the MMA-A to the phone, have not found any that do this nor have I found anyone who will try to make one) and offered me a 10% discount on their unsatisfactory cable (I can do as well at B&H with the Payboo sales tax break).  I think the US DPA guys don't know, and the Danish ones do not answer.

For the Sonosax SX-M2D2-to-iPhone the Apple camera dongle works fine, but that does not require any power from the iPhone, the dongle does not help with any cable I have tried for the MMA-A.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jeff!  The cable that I need is the one that will "provide power from the iPhone to the MMA-A and take an audio signal from the MMA-A to the phone".  That's pretty disturbing that the DPA support staff isn't offering support on their product.  Please let me know if you're able to find a suitable cable to connect the iPhone to the MMA-A.  I need a cable soon and I really don't want to send DPA $70 for a "disposable cable" that won't hold up to normal use.

thank you,

David

WiFiJeff:
Cables for the Shure MV51 and certain IK Multimedia mics look like they should be providing power from an iPhone via lightening port connection to a micro USB, and replacement cables for these are much less money.  However, even if they are wired correctly, the micro-USB connection on the MMA-A is quite snug, and many ordinary USB micro cables that I have won't even plug in to it.  If you have to grind down the exterior of the micro USB end, whatever possible gain you get from a more robust lightning connector end (if in fact it is better) would be offset by a funkier USB micro end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version