Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for a new recorder for stealth recording  (Read 11480 times)

Offline tungarbulb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Looking for a new recorder for stealth recording
« on: March 09, 2022, 04:11:34 PM »
I've checked out some of the reviews linked to in the README1st section at the beginning to this forum, but most of them seem to be pretty out of date.

For example, the Marantz PMD-620 looked like the perfect thing for me, but - it's discontinued. :banging head:

I'm looking for a replacement for my aging Edirol R-09HR which has given me great concert recordings for years but which is now showing all-too-obvious signs of age (the rubber coating is degrading and the display is barely readable).

The best things about the R-09HR were its concealability and the pretty-decent quality of its built-in mics.

I considered buying its successor, the R-07. But after reading *lots* of reviews critical of everything from its questionable reliability to its inexcusably slow file transfer speeds to its use of those easy-to-lose micro-SD cards (which are mounted in the unit such that it is easy to lose one), I decided that model was not an option.

What in your opinion is the best recorder available today for stealth recording?

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: Looking for a new recorder for stealth recording
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 04:27:46 PM »
Some of the zoom options seem good to me.  the Sony A10 gets the most press but supply chain issues rendered those unavailable. 
I suggest browsing the local music supply stores near you   you might be surprised what they have in stock. 
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 05:28:00 PM »
Sony M10.

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 05:35:44 PM »
Sony M10.

Amen.  Keep looking for a used one.   

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 05:37:36 PM »
But the built in mics (mentioned in the original post) of the M10 give a dreadful stereo image...  there is no such thing as coincident omni mic stereo recording!  I could never understand what Sony were thinking of with that.

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 06:06:53 PM »
But the built in mics (mentioned in the original post) of the M10 give a dreadful stereo image...  there is no such thing as coincident omni mic stereo recording!  I could never understand what Sony were thinking of with that.

Very true. I missed that in the original post. Need some decent external mics with the M10.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 07:46:49 PM »
Sony A10 is great for stealth.

I won't deny the issues you've brought up with the Roland r07, but it's been reliable and haven't been in the habit of losing micro sd cards.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 04:44:18 AM »
For example, the Marantz PMD-620 looked like the perfect thing for me, but - it's discontinued.
Why not poke around for a used one?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 09:04:00 AM »
I never ever recorded with built-in mics with just one exception.
Why do these recorders come with mics? I think that is kinda stupid. Leave them off.
Give us the smaller package. Perhaps cheaper even.

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 12:49:51 PM »
The Tascam D100mkIII has been very good for stealth, but it is a larger package then the sony. Built in mics sound about as good or better then most units I've heard, but I don't use them. The size is a little larger but I haven't had an issue with metal detectors and have gotten the recording every time. bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2022, 10:51:52 PM »

If you want stealthable size and okay built in mics I would recommend looking for a used Marantz PMD620 or a Tascam DR2D.

Both are relatively easy to find on resale sites like ebay or Reverb.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2022, 12:21:27 AM »
I've had good luck with Zoom F1.Runs well on two AAA batteries.Has screw-lock 3.5mm stereo plugs with switchable plug in power.
I run either Senn ME104 or similar lav mics or AT822 single point mic powered by a single AA battery.
My favourite deck is Sony M10, that has very low noise inputs, but for acoustic and/or electric live shows of reasonable volume, the Zoom F1 is perfect.
Happy recording !
 Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 07:10:46 AM »
Yup, the F1 does a good job, and its controls are tactile so you don't need to take it out of your pocket really.  I use mine mainly with Roland in-ear binaurals. They have the advantage that it beeps into your ears when it starts and stops so you know something is happening.

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2022, 08:26:32 AM »

I considered buying its successor, the R-07. But after reading *lots* of reviews critical of everything from its questionable reliability to its inexcusably slow file transfer speeds to its use of those easy-to-lose micro-SD cards (which are mounted in the unit such that it is easy to lose one), I decided that model was not an option.

What in your opinion is the best recorder available today for stealth recording?
Most reviews of this unit are with the original firmware which wasn't ready for primetime.
I returned mine for a refund early on because of that, but got one for free last year - and with the most recent firmware most of my reservations were addressed. The bluetooth connectivity is stable and reliable in my experience with an iPhone, but some people with android phones apparently have different experiences.
In normal use, transfer time is not something I notice as slow, but I don't time it. The card slot is not brilliantly designed to say the least and no firmware will improve on that but I don't need to remove the card so it is a non-issue for me.
I did have a A10 for a brief moment, but it was faulty assembled with imprecisely mounted control buttons so I returned it - as well as the second replacement unit I received, that was before I could form an opinion - but definitely tiny device.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RĂ˜DE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2022, 02:32:07 PM »

Most reviews of this unit are with the original firmware which wasn't ready for primetime.
I returned mine for a refund early on because of that, but got one for free last year - and with the most recent firmware most of my reservations were addressed. The bluetooth connectivity is stable and reliable in my experience with an iPhone, but some people with android phones apparently have different experiences.
In normal use, transfer time is not something I notice as slow, but I don't time it. The card slot is not brilliantly designed to say the least and no firmware will improve on that but I don't need to remove the card so it is a non-issue for me.
I did have a A10 for a brief moment, but it was faulty assembled with imprecisely mounted control buttons so I returned it - as well as the second replacement unit I received, that was before I could form an opinion - but definitely tiny device.

What's wrong with the card slot?

I'm guessing from what you wrote that you are having a hard time removing the card?  If so, it is super easy to do.  When you open the attached door to the card compartment, use the little tab in that door (it's between the 2 plastic door hinges) to press the card even further down.  There is a spring under the card, so after you press the card in, quickly move the door's tab away so the card will eject out.  But be careful, because sometimes it flies out! (I just tried it and it flew at least a foot away)  But you don't have to 'quickly' move it away either - and in that case you can just flip the recorder upside down and let the card slide out.  Not sure why the manual does not clearly show this great feature! (I know there are 2 versions of the manual, so maybe one points it out, but does not explain how to use it).  I've read lots of blogs and reviews about it being hard to remove so it would be good for Roland to update their user guide.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com