Gear / Technical Help > Recording Media

DVD vs. CD for archiving

(1/10) > >>

blu666z:
What does everybody trust more as far as longevity of the media?  Trying to decide if its worth my time to rearchive my SHNs onto DVD from CD.

-Kevin

sexymexi:
working on SHN backups for now, no DVD burner here, slow ass shitty old computer that barely can handle a transfer...  its easy, and for $.20 a disc or less, thats not bad to archive shns on, put them all on a spindle with a label, and you know what you have, and they are all there ready to go.  peace.

Matt

phishn:
I have been archiving on DVD.  I'm not too concerned with longevitiy as I know I will eventually convert what I have on dvd to whatever is used in the future.  From what I hear the next thing is a DVD that holds 10 X more data than the current ones.  That would be almost 50 gigs on one disc.  When that happens, ill migrate the collection to that media.

zhianosatch:

--- Quote from: phishn on June 27, 2004, 12:40:35 AM --- From what I hear the next thing is a DVD that holds 10 X more data than the current ones.  That would be almost 50 gigs on one disc. 

--- End quote ---

fuckin' shit, are you serious? 50 GB?

Sean Gallemore:

--- Quote from: zhianosatch on June 27, 2004, 12:45:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: phishn on June 27, 2004, 12:40:35 AM --- From what I hear the next thing is a DVD that holds 10 X more data than the current ones.  That would be almost 50 gigs on one disc. 

--- End quote ---

fuckin' shit, are you serious? 50 GB?

--- End quote ---

think how long that would take to burn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version