Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Taper Question  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
New Taper Question
« on: December 13, 2002, 01:57:08 PM »
A good friend of mine is going to alot of shows and he called me today to say that he wants to start taping. He wanted to know if it's a good idea to get a D7,8,M1. I didnt know what to say. I told him that I think that DAT may be phased out soon, but not for another year or so. I told hime to really consider the urgency and consider looking into those small HD recorders when they come out because this eliminates the added expence of getting DAT->CD. Any thoughts?

Bri

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
Re:New Taper Question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 02:25:16 PM »
Tell him to get a nomad 3 and a coax->optical converter.   It's cheaper than a new DAT deck and you don't need a "pro" soundcard to do transfers.

Offline phriendlyguy

• Taperssection Member
  • MEXICAN COUSIN!!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 02:54:51 PM »
its all a matter of opinion.  tell him to get a minidisc!  hahaha

Tim

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 02:55:21 PM »
I would have a hard time telling anyone who doesn't use DAT already to buy a new deck. If the person really wants to tape *now* and doesn't want to wait a year for a HD recorder then maybe. You can find a good used D8 for pretty cheap, hell I don't think a new one would cost that much. I'm just waiting for a good HD recorder though... I'm not putting any more money into DAT decks.

Is the JB3 really bit-perfect now? I thought that there were still some issues with that. Oh and with one of those converter boxes can you give patches with a JB3? I really have no idea...

Tim

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2002, 02:58:57 PM »
bri, it is definitely a matter of opinion but i still think for the beginner at this point that a used d7/d8 is the best way to go.  you can get a nice one for $300 and add an oade passive cable and you are in business.  i have been told by a few retailers that sony plans to make their portable dat decks for another 4 years.  i have been told tascam has enough transports to make the p1's for 7 more years.  it will eventually fade, but not that fast.  and if it is gone in 3 years i would think that $300 was well spent.  also, i don't think you will see any hd recorders that the average taper can afford....let alone a beginner....for the next 2-3 years.  they will come though!!  
all in good time,
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline d swing

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2002, 03:40:47 PM »
As far as I know, the JB3 is not bit perfect.  I'm just suggesting because, IMO, DAT is a pain in the ass.  The JB3 seems like a good option for a beginner.  And yes, with a coax->optical converter you can receive and give coax patches.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2002, 04:05:15 PM »
I agree, go with the D8 or D7, the smaller pro HD recorders that are going to come out probably next year will be in that $2000 neighboorhood, and even when I have one of those I will be running my P1 as a backup
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2002, 04:17:11 AM »
see i agree w/ D...

i was talking to this MDer who is just starting out (At Allstate while doing TOO in Chicago)...the same question Bri has brought up here was his also...(well, he had many more questions than that, but that was one of his first)...=)

i say if you're gonna start "NOW"...get the JB3 for patching...
for the beginner, it's the way to go...most likely, he just wants the shows for himself, not to spread...

(hell, even if he wants to spread, i would think it's OK so long as you document source)...if people can spread MD shows, you can damn sure spread Nomad shows...just document it so people have a choice if they care...he's only patching, so the original source will be avail as well...

transfer -> HD is a copy/ paste...boom/ done...
Burn your CDRs/ FLAC/ SHN...whatever...

no messing with soundcards...a beginner might even have a tough time getting the system to be Bit perfect anyway, even after he spent MORE money on a Bit perfect card...

if you drop a sample or two here and there, i say so what?...
as long as you're not archiving, this is just fine...if you get an actual dropout/ artifact once every 3 shows or something, learn the effort that goes into fixing it...

he'll most likely need some cheap (Free) software anyway for re-sampling, so this would be great experience to fix some pops or clicks once in awhile...

once the unit becomes obselete for recording, or he outgrows it, he still has a huge HD/ MP3 player/ music jukebox for the car...

i say get the Nomad...=)

8)

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2002, 04:29:27 AM »

if you drop a sample or two here and there, i say so what?...

that should have been "Bit" not "Sample"...jeesh...
i always said, if you catch your own mistake, it's not "really" a mistake right?...hehe...

8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com