Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-10T  (Read 76396 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-10T
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2023, 02:06:37 PM »
That was my next question!  I use Maxoak K2 batteries and they are rather large. 

Looks like it would work well with the MP6, but looks small for the MP10

Nope, perfect fit. I originally bought it for an MP-6. When I upgraded, it just slid right in. With room to spare for the fairly large LiPo battery I use, to power it
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2023, 06:57:58 PM »
I've been using a Sachtler SN601 and it can hide the Maxoak in the camel hump it has on the back and have room for recorders, cables etc in the bag itself for easy access. Plenty of room to configure it how you want.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2024, 04:50:28 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/MAXOAK-50000mAh-Portable-Charger-External/dp/B00YP823NA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=maxoak+power+bank&qid=1638442031&sr=8-3

Thank you, just ordered one.

I use this and have the 8 aa sled as a backup.  It will run forever.  Had Ted build me a battery cable.

I have a right angle hirose to a 5mm male DC plug that looks like it will work. Assuming I use the 12V port. Correct?

Are we sure that its the "M" tip? In the product listing it shows the "M" tip as a rectangular but the picture of the device shows a round port for 12v.  Does anyone know definitively what plug this uses so I know what to ask for from Ted?  I'll be getting a 10ii here soon and want to get a start on getting a cable for this 50000mah batter.  Thanks in advance!
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2024, 06:27:57 PM »
I don't own one of these, but people sometimes ask me for recorder recommendations and I was wondering if users on this thread can speak to the long-term durability and reliability of the MixPre series. As someone who recently acquired a 788, I don't expect these to have the tank-like construction of the 7 or 8 series, but I'm curious to know how these have been holding up. The only complaints I'm aware of are possible flimsy construction of the powering sleds. What has been your experience?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2024, 07:09:39 PM »
At work (university) we got a 10T after some 10 years of running two 722s since 2005. Then a few years later, got a 10II. No problems at all, we'd use them at least several times a week. We always ran the OEM AC power pack with the 8AA pack as the backup. The 8AA pack is somewhat complicated and I'm surprised it actually didn't break. I'd take out the cells maybe every 4 months to recharge.

If you have power problems and call SD Support, the first thing they ask is to bend the power pack tabs in, where they go into the recorder. If you go through the Hirose, that is not a problem.

I have some photos of my personal 10II with the top off if anyone is interested.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2024, 08:37:38 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/MAXOAK-50000mAh-Portable-Charger-External/dp/B00YP823NA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=maxoak+power+bank&qid=1638442031&sr=8-3

I use this and have the 8 aa sled as a backup.  It will run forever.  Had Ted build me a battery cable.

I have a right angle hirose to a 5mm male DC plug that looks like it will work. Assuming I use the 12V port. Correct?

Are we sure that its the "M" tip? In the product listing it shows the "M" tip as a rectangular but the picture of the device shows a round port for 12v.  Does anyone know definitively what plug this uses so I know what to ask for from Ted?  I'll be getting a 10ii here soon and want to get a start on getting a cable for this 50000mah batter.  Thanks in advance!

I think Ted has a 10, so he will likely know what is needed without you specifying.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2024, 05:43:45 AM »
Yes, I use two of the Maxoak batteries. M tip is the way

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2024, 07:20:56 AM »
I don't own one of these, but people sometimes ask me for recorder recommendations and I was wondering if users on this thread can speak to the long-term durability and reliability of the MixPre series. As someone who recently acquired a 788, I don't expect these to have the tank-like construction of the 7 or 8 series, but I'm curious to know how these have been holding up. The only complaints I'm aware of are possible flimsy construction of the powering sleds. What has been your experience?

I was a pretty early adopter; I have had my MixPre-6 first generation for nearly seven years now. Aside from one small issue when new (which SD handled quickly and professionally), it has been really solid. Everything is still tight and works perfectly. I admit I was skeptical about the 8xAA battery sled at first, but it has also stood the test of time. I am very careful with my gear, and don't tape as often as some people here, but I also travel pretty extensively so it has spent a lot of time bouncing around on trains, buses, trams, and long walks...

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2024, 01:03:22 PM »

I was a pretty early adopter; I have had my MixPre-6 first generation for nearly seven years now. Aside from one small issue when new (which SD handled quickly and professionally), it has been really solid. Everything is still tight and works perfectly. I admit I was skeptical about the 8xAA battery sled at first, but it has also stood the test of time. I am very careful with my gear, and don't tape as often as some people here, but I also travel pretty extensively so it has spent a lot of time bouncing around on trains, buses, trams, and long walks...

I second this. I've had a MP6/MP10T and now a 6II and 10II. Only thing I have had to replace are the plastic components, knobs/battery sleds. The Hirose placement on the 10 scares me, but no issues as of yet on either model.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2024, 03:21:10 PM »
I got a mixpre6 off the first batch of 7 that were sold by Gotham in 2017.  Never had a single problem, with the exception of one firmware issue that was resolved very quickly.  I sold it to a friend that still uses it when I bought my mixpre 10 II.  I haven't had any issues with my MP 10 II and I've be running it since 2021. 

I second this. I've had a MP6/MP10T and now a 6II and 10II. Only thing I have had to replace are the plastic components, knobs/battery sleds. The Hirose placement on the 10 scares me, but no issues as of yet on either model.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 06:56:47 PM by jbell »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2024, 05:33:57 PM »
^ All great feedback; thanks.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com