Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 77648 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »
Im going to see if I can get my buddy to use his 744t this weekend and Ill run the mp6 with the same mics. See what we can come up with. Im curious too. Probably wont be from very “far away” but I think It’ll be fun to check out.

Perfect. Try to get both pairs into the identical configuration and as close to one another as possible. Ideally, use the same brand and length of cable, same shockmounts and windscreens as well.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline beenjammin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 08:33:35 PM »
Apologies if this has been mentioned. I did the relevant searches, which turned up nothing.

Does anyone know if the MP series puts out 5mA at P48? I have a mike that requires 5mA and is exhibiting odd behavior with a recorder that puts out 4mA.

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »
An easy search on SD website:

The MixPre Kashmir preamps provide full-specification phantom power (up to 10 mA at 48 V) for true condenser microphones. The combination of their high gain, low noise, low distortion Kashmir circuitry plus full specification phantom power means that the MixPre recorders require more power than recorders with lower gain, lower performance preamp topologies.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 11:14:34 PM »
This got lost in the last thread but I am still looking for someone to measure the output voltage from the MX-L battery sled when one and two batteries are attached.  I would like to see if this is native 8.0-6.8v from the L series packs, 16-14v in a series or if it is knocked down to ~5v usb voltage with some sort of built in regulator. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline LiveOnTape

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
This got lost in the last thread but I am still looking for someone to measure the output voltage from the MX-L battery sled when one and two batteries are attached.  I would like to see if this is native 8.0-6.8v from the L series packs, 16-14v in a series or if it is knocked down to ~5v usb voltage with some sort of built in regulator.

I measured mine last night.  The batteries are wired in parallel, allowing for hot-swaps if you're running really long takes. 

There looks to be a little compartment door held on by a screw that could feasibly house a regulator, but I didn't want to dig in too deep and potentially mess the sled up. 

The output (not under load) measured at 8.1vDC, which is the exact voltage of the higher of the two batteries.  With that battery removed, the output measures 7.9vDC, the same as that battery that's inserted.  Seams to me that it's just a parallel hardwired pass through. 

When changing sleds between the 4xAA and the Sony batts, the MX6 pops up with a message saying something along the lines of "battery voltage mismatch. Switch to Alkaline/Lithium?"  Same thing happens if you load a preset that was saved with a different battery than what's in there now.  So the device is measuring/regulating the voltages inside. 
Recs: Sony PCM-M10 | Mixpre6 | A&H Qu-24 Qu-Drive
Mics: AKGs w CK91,92,94,97,98  | Oktava MK-012 mod | Audix M1290/1255 | Countryman B3s

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 09:43:10 AM »
I'm not sure how many people check the third party sales section of TS, but there is a sale that is of interest to MixPre owners. Anker battery pacls with USB-C output for 30% off. I use this one every time and am considering grabbing a new one for festivals.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=190076.0
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
New firmware is up (v.3.03)...

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »
not it!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »
^ exactly. Still running 2.x, I don't need no stinkin' preroll, hit record 20 minutes before music starts anyway...
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
Anybody know what happened to the Wingman app page on the SD website?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »

I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me if they released an updated app to coincide with the Scorpio release.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »

I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me if they released an updated app to coincide with the Scorpio release.

You'd think they'd leave the page up with previous releases as a marker.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
Winman is still there under accessories but they seemed to have lost the links to it.

https://www.sounddevices.com/product/wingman/

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 03:31:21 PM »
^ exactly. Still running 2.x, I don't need no stinkin' preroll, hit record 20 minutes before music starts anyway...

no need for preroll but I'm on v3.02 without issue.  the reason I went to it was the headphone preset issue which it fixed.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »
Their new website is a chaos. The specifications of the MixPre Three mention balanced line out on TA3 connectors, included 8 AA battery sled, etc.

I guess they will improve it. But I preferred the old one, it was very nicely organized.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com