Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Burned by the Y  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Jonathan Starr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Burned by the Y
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »
Went out to record location surround sound for a friend's multimedia project yesterday, 2 hour drive to a very remote place. Gear consisted of an Apogee Ensemble Mobile and Macbook Pro running Logic, Grace Lunatek V2, 5 Schoeps sdc's with rats, and a Sennheiser MKH-416. It all runs off Bescor 12v battery belts.

I had added a Bescor Y connector to the power setup, so I could monitor voltage with my fluke meter from my seat at a camping table. The new Y connector was between the Grace & Apogee. The old Y connector split the power between the rig/meter. Everything but the new, straight from box Y connector, had been tested and used before.

Got to the siite before dawn (yawn) and set up, switched on the gear, and no lights on the Ensemble or V2. Had nice 13v on the Fluke, started switching out wires, simplifying - still no lights.

Finally tested out every wire. The brand new Y connector was factory wired with the polarity reversed. On initial turnon, it apparently fried both the Ensemble and V2 with reverse polarity.

Hopefully, they each have a blown diode I can get replaced. But what humbug, losing a full day and the loss of a complicated shoot involving a bunch of folks.

In hindsight I should have checked the new addition for polarity before using it. I wonder what response I'll get from Bescor or B&H where I bought it.

Aloha,

Jonathan Starr
Big Gorilla Sound, Maui

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com