Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Drum Roll....WOOOHOOO......Sound Devices 788T  (Read 35943 times)

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
AES 42 support
« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2008, 05:21:28 AM »
It is now official, the 788T supports digital microphones directly:

Quote:
The 788T provides support and connectivity for Mode 1 (asynchronous) connections. Mode 1 uses the microphone’s own clock generator for its word-clock-source. Because the word-clock-signal out of the microphone may differ from the recorder’s set sampling rate, the 788T’s hardware sampling rate converter (SRC) is activated for AES 42 inputs when using the recorder’s word clock. The recorder provides connection for multiple (up to four) AES 42 input sources at any supported sampling rate. The 788T accommodates AES 42 (and AES3) inputs with sampling rates from 32 kHz to 192 kHz

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/788/aes42/

Gunnar

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Drum Roll....WOOOHOOO......Sound Devices 788T
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »

The jury is still out for me on the 788t.

Nice though the 788T is, I still seem to feel thay made it a bit too small and fiddly - and it gets pretty hot and needs space around it for air-flow.

The new add-on control panel makes things much easier, though.

But it only goes up to 48kHz which was not good enough for me.

I bought the Nagra VI - this is a bit large as the 788T is a bit small - but the ergonomics are perfect and it does support 96kHz recording.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: AES 42 support
« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2008, 06:38:53 AM »
It is now official, the 788T supports digital microphones directly:

Yes, I know, I posted this above.

I have been having discussions with SD about this.

Its AES42 mode1 really, so you have to set the mics to work asynchronously - they are clocked by going through a sample-rate converter in the 788T - EG: set the mics to 48kHz and record at 44.1kHz - the sample rate converter clocks the mics.

It does not support AES42 level control, so the mics are set slightly low and then adjusted in the digital domain by the 788T's level control.

The 788T is the first portable to support AES42 and with three major microphone companies now doing AES42 microphones, is most exciting.

Schoeps CMD are mode1 only; the Neumann Solution-D, KM-D, TLM 103-D and Sennheiser MZD 8000 are all mode2, but can work mode1 as well.

Mode1 all run asynchronously and need a sample-rate converter to clock them.

Mode2 can all be clocked via AES42 and don't need a sample-rate converter (though mode2 mics can also run as mode1 if needed).

But please note that the 788T firmware is still a Beta version and not yet fully implemented.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com