Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Not sure of the best way to adjust EQ to keep levels even..  (Read 1725 times)

Offline 8X10Intern

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Not sure of the best way to adjust EQ to keep levels even..
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
I'm really new at taping, i've been interning for maybe 2 months.. about 6 shows I guess, I work as a taper mixing on my own board if I so choose. Some of the monitor mixes were clipping really bad last week, and I was freaking out, I tried turning down the gain on the certain ones trying to figure out what was on what channel till I got it kind of down to the right levels. But the sound wasn't as clear as I would have liked. My instructor is super busy when we run shows so I don't get much of a chance to ask him questions. So a few questions..

a) If vocals/guitar are peaking too high would high high/mid low/mid or low controls be best to adjust?

b) should bass and drums generally be lower in the mix? ( i could barely hear the drums in my headphones)

c) where can I find good resources online for understanding the physics behind what each control on the board is actually doing?

Thanks for your patience and help!
What does XLR stand for?

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Re: Not sure of the best way to adjust EQ to keep levels even..
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:17:28 AM »
Get the books: Live Sound Reinforcement by Scott Hunter Stark and Modern Recording Techniques by Huber & Runstein.  These are great places to begin a knowledge of sound and recording and boards (I started with Modern Recording Techniques, and would encourage anyone to start here and move on).  Aside from that, these boards area WONDERFUL source of info.  Looking at your signature though, I must say that Wikipedia too, should never be over looked:

Quote from: Wikipedia
In reference to its original manufacturer, James H. Cannon, founder of Cannon Electric in Los Angeles, California (now part of ITT Corporation), the connector is colloquially known as a cannon plug or cannon connector. Originally the "Cannon X" series, subsequent versions added a Latch ("Cannon XL") and then a Rubber compound surrounding the contacts, which led to the abbreviation XLR.[1] Many companies now make XLRs. The initials "XLR" have nothing to do with the pinout of the connector. XLR connectors can have other numbers of pins besides three.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com