Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Zoom?  (Read 23784 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Zoom?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 03:32:26 AM »
I think the practical problem would be getting levels correct for internal and external mics when the location you've set up the recorder in (to get the internal mics in a good spot) would not necessarily readily allow you to see what's going on in the display.  Of course this is a factor when using any recorder with built in mics but once you've connected remote mics, I'd suppose you would be trying to make a more serious recording than the kind of point-and-shoot that recording with internal mics tends to imply.

Still, I guess it's another style of tool for the tool box and it will prove dead handy for a certain category of user.

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
gossling

I believe in researching a purchase as much as the next Guy but Scheeeesh :) Theres only so much you can learn from forum opinions etc. I mean Aint it time to sh_ _ or get of the pot :) Buy the H4n or something so you can start the hard work of learning mic Placement and post DAW surgery etc. Just a old ZoomHeads suggestion :)

PS

I just bought my son a Tascam Dr-1 cause its more MUSO centric and Loud Band friendly !

KT

Offline gossling

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »
gossling

I believe in researching a purchase as much as the next Guy but Scheeeesh :) Theres only so much you can learn from forum opinions etc. I mean Aint it time to sh_ _ or get of the pot :) Buy the H4n or something so you can start the hard work of learning mic Placement and post DAW surgery etc. Just a old ZoomHeads suggestion :)

Haha! So true.  In fairness to myself, I have bought three recorders thus far.  Returned two and waiting to return the third.  And I will buy this H4n.  It has just about everything I've been looking for.  Just wish it would come out already!

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 09:38:50 AM »
There are some helpful photos here:

http://ces.cnet.com/2300-19506_1-10000185-1.html?s=0&o=10000185&tag=mncol;page

It looks like there might be an additional mini-jack mic input on the back.

This might be the unit that those of us who bought and returned the H2 were looking for.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:45:51 AM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 01:02:29 PM »

This might be the unit that those of us who bought and returned the H2 were looking for.

That's not an input, but rather a 1/4 thread for mounitng the H4n to tripods, mic stands etc.

Offline nolonemo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »
IMO, one big issue is whether this will play nicer with external mics than the H2.  The H2 is a great casual recorder, but falls down badly with the noisy external pres...(IMO).

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »
Vegas6, look just below the internal mics. 
There's a 1/8-inch jack labeled "ext mic." 

The question now is, Does the use of this jack turn off
the built-in mics, enabling input from four external mics?
Quadraphenia!

Flintstone

Offline gossling

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »
Vegas6, look just below the internal mics. 
There's a 1/8-inch jack labeled "ext mic." 

The question now is, Does the use of this jack turn off
the built-in mics, enabling input from four external mics?
Quadraphenia!

Flintstone

Oh! Nice observation.  Didn't even notice that when I glanced at the photos.  That would be great to use four externals, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  It seems that a lot of 1/8" inputs cut off everything else. 

Regarding the external microphone inputs: the XLR inputs of the H4n are supposed to be a step up from those on the H4, which were already significantly quieter than the 1/8" mic input on the H2.  So I would expect preamp quality on the H4n to be between the original H4 and the Edirol R-09HR in terms of noise.  Merely speculating, though.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 11:52:16 PM »

That's not an input, but rather a 1/4 thread for mounitng the H4n to tripods, mic stands etc.

You're looking at the wrong hole.

It's the top one under the mics.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 12:08:45 AM »

Oh! Nice observation.

Why, thank you!

Even if this rear 1/8 ext mic jack does not disconnect the internal mics (which, if it did, would be Valhalla) but instead replaces the XLR inputs, it's a welcome extra feature if you have a binaural setup and don't want to use bulky adapters, as you are forced to do with the H4.

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 10:38:13 PM »
Here are a few (overexposed) photos of the H4n at CES. 

http://picasaweb.google.com/BradLinder/ZoomH4NFirstLook#

Street price is expected to be $350, delivery to start in late Feb, early March.
Like the name suggests, the H4n is an updated and upgraded version
of the H4 design.  Zoom will continue to sell the H4 for about $100 less
than the H4n.

Flintstone

Offline gossling

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »
Here's a sample of the H4n using NT1-A external microphones:
http://www.bradlinder.net/2009/01/zoom-h4n-audio-sample.html

Sounds quiet.  Granted, NT1-A is a very quiet microphone.  But the H4n seems to do it justice.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 06:51:54 PM »
...and if you already have an external stereo mic preamp, this is a 4 channel recorder at a brilliant price-point.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 08:43:35 PM »
I downloaded the MP3 file that was posted by Brad Linder.  It's very quiet, a little too quiet for me not to be suspicious.  There's a lack of high frequencies in the speaker's voice, and no sounds of breathing.  Perhaps the recording was done in a studio with soundproofing.  Or maybe the file was edited a bit to remove the high frequencies. 

I'm not accusing anyone, just saying that I'll wait to hear the H4n from more sources before I'm convinced.

Flintstone

Offline gossling

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »
I downloaded the MP3 file that was posted by Brad Linder.  It's very quiet, a little too quiet for me not to be suspicious.  There's a lack of high frequencies in the speaker's voice, and no sounds of breathing.  Perhaps the recording was done in a studio with soundproofing.  Or maybe the file was edited a bit to remove the high frequencies. 

I'm not accusing anyone, just saying that I'll wait to hear the H4n from more sources before I'm convinced.

Flintstone

May be the proximity effect? But if it was that close, the breath should be more apparent.  Also, the NT1-A is probably not the best test microphone because it has such low noise to begin with.  I pre-ordered the H4n from samedaymusic with a 60 day money back guarantee, and they expect to receive the units on March 15.  I will definitely let you know how it sounds with Naiant microphones.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com