Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Archos Gmini 120  (Read 69514 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Archos Gmini 120
« on: January 04, 2004, 10:01:08 PM »
interesting thread over at Oade's board, and I thought I'd start a conversation here about it, because that conversation never really answers anything about the Archos unit, it turned more into a discussion about the  JB3.  I haven't seen anything on this board about it yet, sorry if I just didn't see this being discussed...

here's the link to the post on Oade's board:
http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=100&topic_id=570&mesg_id=570&page=

basically, the archos Gmini 120 is a 20gig HD mp3 player with recording capabilities.  it says that it has a digital S/PDIF input, and although the manual states that it can only record in .mp3 format, if you look at the firmware revisions, it says that .wav recording has been added with firmware V1.4.0.
http://www.archos.com/download/firmware/Gmini100_OS_History.txt

it doesn't have too much info on their website.  I just sent an email to the tech support, with the standard questions...

file size limitations? what kind of S/PDIF connections (RCA, optical toslink, optical mini)? what bit depths and sample rates does it support?  bit accuracy? etc...

so we'll see what they tell me.  but I'm posting here because I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this thing?  please post if you've got any info or anything to add to the discussion.

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
Re:Archos Gmini 120
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 01:40:45 AM »
looks very promising,

copy/paste from PCmag.com

"according to the company, the first modular MP3 and WMA player, meaning you can customize your device with plug-ins—Audio Recorder/Voice Recorder ($19.95)" By that i'm guessing they mean a ultra shitty mic, but it could be a bay that gives you the proper connections to record.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 02:07:42 AM »
at least one nice thing about this unit: (from manual)

"The Gmini runs the wire based protocol (Not Optical Fiber)." and it even comes with a digi cable. ;D
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

cpclark

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 02:13:56 AM »
Capacity:

20 GB Hard Drive (300 hours* MP3 at 128 kbps, 700 hours* of voice recording(1) at 64 kbps or 20 GB of data)

*on average
Internal buffer: 8 MB
Interfaces: USB 2.0 High-speed (USB 1.1 compatible). CompactFlash™ reader - compatible type I and II (1)
Format supported:

MP3 playback (30 to 320 kbps) - WMA playback, high and mid bitrate - WAV (PCM) playback.

MP3 recording (1) (selectable 32 to 192kbps CBR - real-time encoding from audio source).

Copy JPEG  images all types of files through CompactFlash™ interface into Gmini (1)

Display:
Black&White LCD with blue backlit 128x64 pixels - 5 lines of characters and an icon bar

Audio Specifications:

Stereo SPDIF Digital Input/Stereo Analog Line-in (1), Stereo Analog Line-out/Earphone Jack.

Buil-in microphone(1)
Playback autonomy: Up to 10 hours
Firmware interface

User-friendly graphical interface with icons. Delete, rename, copy and move files without computer

Upgradeable plug-ins from www.archos.com
Power source: Internal Power : Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery. External Power: AC-DC Charger/Adapter
Dimensions: 4.45"x3.07"x1.02" - 113 x 78 x 26 mm
Weight: 8.61 oz - 244 g
System requirements:

PC*: Pentium® 233 MHz or higher, Window 98 SE, ME, 2000 or XP. 32 MB RAM (64 MB recommended). CD-Rom drive with digital audio extraction support.

Mac*: 9.2 or X (10.2.4) USB Manager version 1.2 or higher
Package includes: Gmini, USB cable (MiniB/A), AC-DC adapter, rechargeable Li-Ion battery (already installed in the Gmini), audio cable, stereo headphones, MusicMatch™ Jukebox software and driver on CD plus manual.

(1) Optional functionality downloadable from www.archos.com

1,1GB = 1 Billion Bytes. The actual formatted capacity is inferior

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 03:43:50 PM »
Looking at the PDF manual, the "S/PDIF in" is 1/8", but it's by this clunky-looking proprietary "Multi-connect Adapter Plug" thing. Doesn't look stable at all. Also, this doesn't give me a great amount of confidence:

---------------

5.4.2  Line-In Recording
You can record from any line-level audio source into the Gmini. Use the included audio cable (Red/Right, White/Left) to connect to your Hifi system, home CD player, etc (do not use the yellow). Plug the Red and White RCA type connectors into the Line-Out of your HiFi. Plug the adapter (shown on the left) into the Gmini headphone multi-connect jack. Plug the other end of the cable into the Line in - s-pdif labeled side of the adapter. To record from a source such as a portable CD player, you will need to buy a cable with mini-jack (3.5mm) male connectors on both sides. Be careful that the source audio is supplying a line level and not an amplified signal (usually turning down the volume on the player will work). An amplified signal will make for a terribly distorted recording. Make sure that you have selected Line-In as the input Source in the pre-recording Settings screen. For an input, you can also use a high quality pre-amplified microphone, such as the one Archos sells as an option.

5.4.3 SPDIF Input
This digital input is for SPDIF enabled audio devices. The Gmini runs the wire based protocol (not optical fiber). To record via the SPDIF digital audio connection, you will use the Yellow RCA connector on the delivered cable. Plug the above shown adapter into the Gmini headphone multiconnect jack. Plug the mini-jack end into the Line in - s-pdif jack. The Gmini abides by the copy protection scheme of the SPDIF digital connection protocol. That is, an SPDIF copy is allowed from the original source only, not from a second generation digital copy.
-------------------

In other words, the analog and digital signals both go through the same side of  that adapter plug (the other side is line out). Is that possible? I know some old Aiwas (like the Aiwa HD-S200; Suicide Todd from NYC has one) have S/PDIF over a 1/8" jack that's also used for analog in, but it's an optical signal, not coax...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 03:47:40 PM by greenone »
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 04:56:37 PM »
Greenone - Looks to me like a standard mini-stereo / dual-RCA adapter used for both analog and S/PDIF coax digital input.  I remember seeing an old Denon DAT this past summer that used the same kind of setup.  No more dumb-ass 7-pin cables, or fragile optical a la JB3.

As I understand it based on the PDF manual, this is a Good Thing in my book.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 05:40:44 PM »
well, all this still looks ok.  I have yet to hear back from them about file size limitations, bit accuracy, and all that stuff.  keeping my fingers crossed.  is it too much to hope for 24/96 from this thing?  even if it only did 16/48 (reliably), it would still be worth it for me for a few hundred...  

as for the connector:
"but it's by this clunky-looking proprietary "Multi-connect Adapter Plug" thing"
it seems no worse than a 7-pin in my head.

we'll see, it'll certainly have to undergo plenty of testing while running the trusty D8 from the other digi out of my v3.

Offline timP

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 09:11:04 PM »
how about visable levels...and file size?
Very interested.......
?>FR2LE

Offline greenone

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 12:35:13 AM »
Greenone - Looks to me like a standard mini-stereo / dual-RCA adapter used for both analog and S/PDIF coax digital input.  I remember seeing an old Denon DAT this past summer that used the same kind of setup.  No more dumb-ass 7-pin cables, or fragile optical a la JB3.

Hmm. I've attached a zoom-in on the connector as pictured in the PDF. Looks to me like the right (far) side says "line in/spdif" and the left (near) side says "line out". It also says on the next page "Plug the mini-jack end into the Line in - s-pdif jack." If that were a dual RCA I can understand being able to send a S/PDIF signal over it, but I've never seen it over a 1/8" connection unless it's one of those TOSLINK to miniplug connectors...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 12:35:55 AM by greenone »
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 12:42:29 AM »
doesn't the zefiro inbox/denecke ad-20 have that same connection for it's S/PDIF out?
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline greenone

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 12:57:13 AM »
Damn these words taste good. Could use a little salt... ;)

Have to say I've never looked at an AD-20 close up before (and for what it's worth, a Google image search for "zefiro" yields some interesting results) but I think you're right. I wonder if a mini-plug can be used for S/PDIF I/O, or if it's just in or just out only? If that's the case, the "adapter cable" with the Archos must be single RCA-to-mini S/PDIF, the reverse of what Len provides with the AD-20s. Nice!

--Dave

BobW

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 10:07:19 AM »

Hmm. I've attached a zoom-in on the connector as pictured in the PDF. Looks to me like the right (far) side says "line in/spdif" and the left (near) side says "line out". It also says on the next page "Plug the mini-jack end into the Line in - s-pdif jack." If that were a dual RCA I can understand being able to send a S/PDIF signal over it, but I've never seen it over a 1/8" connection unless it's one of those TOSLINK to miniplug connectors...

Quad ring 1/8 inch mini plug to dual stereo would be my guess.
pro'lly could make a custom Y-cable that would be more flexible and easier on the quad-mini socket.
I'd test it before trying to 'brew something up.

Offline RastaFish

• Taperssection Regular
  • RastaFish Vibration, yeeaaah....Positive!
    • music to trade!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 01:36:07 PM »
I used to run an Aiwa HD-S100, and it had SPDIF in and out on a standard 1/8 stereo mini - to - stereo RCA's cable.  The right RCA (red) was the in and the White was the out.  It accepted and successfully passed on signal to every deck in every chain I was ever in, including all the Sony miniDATs, DA-P1, etc.  I simply used a cable from my stereo, not even a "digital" cable, never had a single problem.  Wish I could say the same about my d-100...

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 01:58:31 PM »
It looks like a FAT filesystem too, PDF manual says you just plug it in via USB2 and it acts like a regular hard drive for some drag and dropping of data files, etc.  Very nice..  looks like the most promising upcoming "HD recorder" to date.

Concerned how well that SPDIF attachment "attaches" though, would hate to break it off or have it unplug itself on accident.  Someone try one out and report back pronto ;D
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 05:30:10 PM »
I'm very close to buying one and testing it out.  if you buy from the archos website, it's $250 + shipping.  the only thing holding me back right now is the fact that they haven't returned my email.  I asked some basic questions about battery life, file size, and some not so basic questions about bit accuracy, sample rates, and all that.  I don't want to buy it only to find out it only has a 20min limit or something stupid like that.  but I'm real close to checking it out.  hopefully soon.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com