Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 12v ideas for 788T  (Read 6987 times)

Offline blee421

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
12v ideas for 788T
« on: September 16, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
My ecocharge was taken at the airport in Chicago.I need lots of power to run the 788T.Any ideas?
Bruel & Kjaer 4011 
DPA 4018 VL > MMP-A
MBHO MBP 603 - KA/200

Lunatec V2 (x2)
Lunatec V3 (x2)
Apogee Mini MP 

Sonic AD2K+

Edirol R44
SD 722
Microtrack 24/96 (x4) Great for DAT transfers - $50.00

Teddy Gak XLR's
Audio Magic Sorcerer
Audio Magic Hyperconductor

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
Re: 12v ideas for 788T
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »
My ecocharge was taken at the airport in Chicago.I need lots of power to run the 788T.Any ideas?

yo blee,

whatup.

check this out

i think you can get these types of batteries at places like Fry's,

first thing you need to figure out is what size (amperage) battery you'll need in what situations - and for the situations you dont need as much maybe you will want to get a smaller batt like the one on the right in the above photo.

then you get these little 'slide-on' type connectors which connect to the red(+)/black(-) terminals on the battery. You also can get a charger there, typically 20 or 30 bucks -

then all you need to do is have the right cable made so you'd have the slide on connectors on one end (to connect to the battery) and then the 788 connector on the other end. I'm sure one of the guys like kindcables or something could probably do this for you. maybe even sound devices? i don't know...

but those batteries are typically cheap, and good. i used to use this type of setup with my ad2k+

hope this helps!

Peace!,
ian
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »
You have many options for external batteries.  Any battery that will gets you 10 to 18 volts will work.  What I've used in the past:

- SLA batteries like those suggested by ianstone above.
- 12V or 14.4V power tool batteries.  NiCad or NiMH or Li-on does not matter.  This is not as dumb an idea as it may first appear.  The batteries were "free" since I already owned the tools and the charger that came with the power tool will recharge the battery in less than an hour.  Note that 18V power tool batteries often put out over 20V when first charged; I have not risked using them for fear I may fry something inside the SD box.
- A battery sled holding eight AA NiMH batteries.
- What I use now is two Sony type Li-on connected in series.  These are the same type of batteries SD uses as their "internal" battery.  I made a battery holder that connects them in series and has a cable going to the SD external battery connector.

Perhaps the hardest part creating an external SD battery is obtaining and soldering to the Hirose HR10-7P-4P connector that SD uses.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »
If needing a very compact lightweight and extremely powerful battery for running 788T for over 10 continuous hours with all inputs being used, then my company has one of the best powering solutions with the BD-12T.

Very small to fit into a 35mm telephoto lens case and weighing in at 4 pounds fully loaded with 12 D alkaline cells, the BD-12T packs over 270 watts (+18 AMPS) of capacity depending on cell make installed, and recharges in seconds while working in any location.  See battery page chart at: www.sonicstudios.com/batsys98.htm

For those DIY satisfied with many times the size/weight and far shorter runtime solutions (as are posted below), then the following images may prove useful for knowing SD700 series powering requirements.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 06:41:48 PM »
http://www.batterygeek.net/Portable-DVD-Player-Battery-p/10-14-100_batterygeek.htm

Look no further!

And I can make you a cable if you want (i.e. BG-10-14-100 cable > 4pin XLR (assuming you already have a  4pin male XLR tied to either the breakout cable (that your using with your CMD's) on the back or a 4 pin Hirose)).

No charge except the XLR - (i.e. $5 plus I would need the original cable - as I would cut it off - the original cable locks sumwhat into the BG where as typical 5.5mm OD 2.5mm (could be 2.1mm -> I'll need to look at my BG10-14-88) do not)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 06:47:46 PM by H20 »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »
http://www.batterygeek.net/Portable-DVD-Player-Battery-p/10-14-100_batterygeek.htm
Look no further!

This battery is a BEAST.  I use them for my 14volt Portico and can run a 4 hour show and still see a full charge on the meter.

I think I ran it for 7-8 hours once a festival and still had juice!!
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »

TSA took it? 

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:56:35 PM »

TSA took it?

yup
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 02:26:32 PM »
that's ridiculous.  they're allowed. 

i started flying with the TSA printout from Power Sonic to prove to them that SLAs were allowed

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 02:48:44 PM »
that's ridiculous.  they're allowed. 

i started flying with the TSA printout from Power Sonic to prove to them that SLAs were allowed

didn't you need the MSDS info when going through security? Do you have the printout from TSA, because I remember seeing that SLAs were allowed previously, but for the life of me, I cant find it after the 2008 revamp of the site.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 07:09:20 PM »
Do you have the printout from TSA, because I remember seeing that SLAs were allowed previously, but for the life of me, I cant find it after the 2008 revamp of the site.

I'm not sure exactly what doc you're looking for, but the TS Knowledge Base / Archive's "Flying with Recording Equipment" thread has links to the PowerSonic, Panasonic, and EcoCharge MSDS docs.  They should be sufficient to get through TSA security -- though as always, depending on the individual with whom you're dealing, it may or may not be hassle-free.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »
Do you have the printout from TSA, because I remember seeing that SLAs were allowed previously, but for the life of me, I cant find it after the 2008 revamp of the site.

I'm not sure exactly what doc you're looking for, but the TS Knowledge Base / Archive's "Flying with Recording Equipment" thread has links to the PowerSonic, Panasonic, and EcoCharge MSDS docs.  They should be sufficient to get through TSA security -- though as always, depending on the individual with whom you're dealing, it may or may not be hassle-free.

Sorry, I meant the print out saying that SLAs were allowed. I thought that had changed in the recent round of changes.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline blee421

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 05:07:19 PM »
Bruel & Kjaer 4011 
DPA 4018 VL > MMP-A
MBHO MBP 603 - KA/200

Lunatec V2 (x2)
Lunatec V3 (x2)
Apogee Mini MP 

Sonic AD2K+

Edirol R44
SD 722
Microtrack 24/96 (x4) Great for DAT transfers - $50.00

Teddy Gak XLR's
Audio Magic Sorcerer
Audio Magic Hyperconductor

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com