Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Rig Would You Go With?  (Read 7218 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Rig Would You Go With?
« on: October 18, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »
I probably know the answer that most will give, but I've got some stuff laying around now and will sell off whatever I don't use.  Before I make my final decision, thought I'd run this by the group and see what the concensus is.

Mics > V2 > W+Mod UA-5 > MTII  (would of course use the ADC on the UA-5 and run the MTII strictly as a bitbucket.)

or

Mics > V2 > R09HR  (would just run RCA out to the line in on the R-09.)

Thanks

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Re: Which Rig Would You Go With?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:44:01 PM »
V2>R09HR, no question.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »
MBHO>W+mod UA5>MT2 was always an awsome sounding combo.

nuemann or Beyer930's >V2>R9HR

Peace OOK
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 05:49:48 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »
I have a sweet spot in my heart and ears for the + MOD UA5s.  I'd run W+ UA5 > MTII, dropping the V2 outright.  I just don't think the V2 in front of the W+ UA5 brings enough to the sound to warrant the sunk cost, extra bulk and weight, additional points of failure (connectors/cables), etc.  And I've found the T+ and W+ UA5s provide plenty of quiet gain for instances when I really need it (unamplified small choral recording, for example).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:51:25 PM »
I should probably add a note of clarification...weight is not an issue.  I'm more into the sound and I'm not all that concerned about carrying around an extra box or a couple extra batteries.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »
I am pretty sure you can then run a four mic matrix.  one set into the v2 then into the UA5 RCA's on the back and one set mics in on the UA5.  50/50 mix to the mt2...

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 06:14:17 PM »
I am pretty sure you can then run a four mic matrix.  one set into the v2 then into the UA5 RCA's on the back and one set mics in on the UA5.  50/50 mix to the mt2...

OOK

Cool.  I forgot that I'd read that before.  Course, you could always keep them separate and run separate pre-amps to separate recorders and then mix to taste in post rather than having to settle with whatever you decide on the spot.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »
V2>R09HR, no question.

Of the two, I agree, especially with the mics that are listed in the sig.

Cool.  I forgot that I'd read that before.  Course, you could always keep them separate and run separate pre-amps to separate recorders and then mix to taste in post rather than having to settle with whatever you decide on the spot.

To take that and run with it, I think a more attractive idea is if you used one rig as the field or room rig, and the other positioned elsewhere like stage-lip for a mix. I find the best mic blends to be decca-tree-style (ala coincident pair, with out-rigged omnis that are spaced behind and everything is delayed/mixed properly), but short of that, I don't think it's worth the effort to lug and setup everything.

I should probably add a note of clarification...weight is not an issue. 

Ah, the taper physical fitness program I see.  ;D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 06:27:32 PM »
^ LOL.  Those that know me or have met me KNOW that, when it comes to me, weight is not an issue (6'3" and 290 here).  Now when it comes to my gear bag, weight could be an issue, but I never found it to be too much to worry about.  I'm more into the sonic orgasm I get from getting a great sounding show to enjoy for the rest of my life.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »
I am not sure which ADC (UA5 or R09HR) is preferable, but the V2 is the pre to keep. The mics you have match very well with the Grace pre-amps. I, of course, am somewhat biased, but I believe the V2 is still a state-of-the-art mic pre and will continue to hold that distinction for quite some time.
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 06:53:41 PM »
I am not sure which ADC (UA5 or R09HR) is preferable, but the V2 is the pre to keep. The mics you have match very well with the Grace pre-amps. I, of course, am somewhat biased, but I believe the V2 is still a state-of-the-art mic pre and will continue to hold that distinction for quite some time.

Agreed and thanks.  Notice that my original question had the V2 in both options...

Offline RobertNC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »
I'm more into the sonic orgasm I get from getting a great sounding show to enjoy for the rest of my life.

In that case I would suggest either

DPA40xx > V2 > W+Mod UA-5 > MTII  (would of course use the ADC on the UA-5 and run the MTII strictly as a bitbucket.)

or

DPA40xx > V2 > R09HR  (would just run RCA out to the line in on the R-09.)

(ducks)   >:D
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 09:45:32 PM »

Agreed and thanks.  Notice that my original question had the V2 in both options...

D'oh! Sorry about that 10 days medicated in the hospital seems to have deprived me of a few brain cells...

So just pick up an AD2K+ and you should be good to go! :wink: :) :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:47:08 PM by Kyle »
Sonic AD2K+ 

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »
So just pick up an AD2K+ and you should be good to go! :wink: :) :)

Yeah, I know it.  Alot of people love those things...and I have to admit that I love the Apogee products too (see you've got both an AD2K and MME).  For those that have never found the religion in the AD2K, it's difficult to comprehend from the samples on the archive what the AD2K adds to justify that additional $1K+ cost to the rig.

Perhaps mshilarious will come up with a nice $200 to $300 ADC option to compliment the Naiant Littlebox that will be a nice alternative to the AD2K.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 11:05:12 PM »
Yeah, I know it.  Alot of people love those things...and I have to admit that I love the Apogee products too (see you've got both an AD2K and MME).

For clarity's sake, just want to remind that the Benchmark AD2K isn't an Apogee product.  Perhaps you're thinking of the AD1K (AD1000)?  I've always preferred the AD2K to the AD1K.  I'm sticking with my W+ UA5 > MTII selection, but if alternate gear is an option, I'd definitely vote for V2 > AD2K > MTII.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »
i have been very happy with the a/d in the r-09.... i would probably opt for the mics>v2>r-09

it is less to carry for a sound that should be similar if not better*.

(*note: i havent run the ua-5 at 24b, so maybe it is better than i remember at 16b)
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

stevetoney

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 09:29:53 AM »
Yeah, I know it.  Alot of people love those things...and I have to admit that I love the Apogee products too (see you've got both an AD2K and MME).

For clarity's sake, just want to remind that the Benchmark AD2K isn't an Apogee product.  Perhaps you're thinking of the AD1K (AD1000)?  I've always preferred the AD2K to the AD1K.  I'm sticking with my W+ UA5 > MTII selection, but if alternate gear is an option, I'd definitely vote for V2 > AD2K > MTII.

Right.  Thanks, I knew that Brian.  I didn't proofread my message before sending it and got the words a little messed up because I noted that the poster had in his collection both an AD2K and a mini-me.  My response was directed at the mini-me. 

I've owned the mini-mp and really like it alot.  For some time now, I've felt that if Apogee had repackaged the MMP and MME into something that was more accepted by the location recordist, those products would compete with the Grace products in terms of popularity with our group.  The form factor is the most popular reason people give for disregarding the MME/MMP, but seldom the sound. 

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »
FWIW, I think I paid about $500 for my AD2K about 3-4 years ago - perhaps since then the value of this unit has increased but $1k seems pretty high.  I always thought the V2>AD2K soundsa was a great one and have always wanted to find a V2 for a price I could afford at a time I could afford it...those stars haven't aligned as of yet.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »
I have nothing to add, Steve. Just keep me in mind if you decided to sell the MT ;)
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 03:22:32 PM »

Right.  Thanks, I knew that Brian.  I didn't proofread my message before sending it and got the words a little messed up because I noted that the poster had in his collection both an AD2K and a mini-me.  My response was directed at the mini-me. 

I've owned the mini-mp and really like it alot.  For some time now, I've felt that if Apogee had repackaged the MMP and MME into something that was more accepted by the location recordist, those products would compete with the Grace products in terms of popularity with our group.  The form factor is the most popular reason people give for disregarding the MME/MMP, but seldom the sound.

I really like the MiniMe as well. It does a great job as an ADC with your choice of pre in front and it does a great job as a stand-alone unit. I have heard that many think the bass is a bit 'tubby' when used as a stand-alone, but I think it sounds very well rounded. Huge, 3D soundstage with tons of detail across the spectrum. One of these days I need to pick up a MiniMp and run the two together - should be a fantastic combo. The soundstage would be tremendous! Ok, enough of that...

As far as your original post goes, the R-09HR sounds very decent on its own. When funds allow I will be picking one up for myself. My Iriver does a fine job but it will be nice to have 24bit capabilities in a tiny box. Now, we could get into the whole "the s/n ratio of the R-09HR just makes it a very good 16bit recorder" discussion but it will be an improvement over the Iriver's ADC.  Too bad it does not have a digi-in....
Sonic AD2K+ 

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »
As far as your original post goes, the R-09HR sounds very decent on its own. When funds allow I will be picking one up for myself. My Iriver does a fine job but it will be nice to have 24bit capabilities in a tiny box. Now, we could get into the whole "the s/n ratio of the R-09HR just makes it a very good 16bit recorder" discussion but it will be an improvement over the Iriver's ADC.  Too bad it does not have a digi-in....

One of the reasons I asked the original question is that I have both an R09HR and Microtrack II and since I'm cash poor from buying so goddang much gear, I was trying to figure out what to sell.  But after further contemplation, I think the best answer is to keep them both for just the reason you're saying.  If I need a bit bucket, the MTII has digi-in.  For all else, the R-09HR has low noise and can stand toe-to-toe with higher priced units.

With prices down around $160 to $170 for the MTII and less than $300 for the R09HR, you can get them both for a reasonable price and if you ever have occasion to run two rigs, there you go...you even can do 4 channel if the opportunity presents itself to hook into the SBD or if you have a separate preamp and mics to lug along (which I do).

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 09:26:23 PM »
V2 > R09HR.

The ADC on the HR is pretty darn good.  Much better than the original R09, IMO.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.147 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com