Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 and cables needed  (Read 3843 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
UA-5 and cables needed
« on: April 17, 2010, 01:26:37 AM »
So I just kind of got in over my head with what I need.  I just bought a UA-5 (w/ Oade Digi and P-mod) and am realizing I don't have any idea what cables/adapters I'm going to need.

So, to start, I have CA-14's c/o > the UA-5 (or the 9100) > r-09/D-07.

From what I can tell, the 9100 is 1/8" cable on both sides (and I'm getting cables for those from Chris) so what I'm wondering is, if I add the UA5 in the middle do I need XLR, RCA or 1/4" input cables?  And if so, I'm going to need 1/8" adapters to feed into the R-09, correct?  I am trying to get some SBD recordings also (thus the two recorders), so I'll be investing in these cables anyway, but do I need two sets of these if I'm using the UA-5 for the mics?

And with the input of the R-09 being 1/8" I assume I'll need an adapter to plug into that from the UA-5?

Sorry if this info is posted elsewhere (along with most of us newbies, I didn't search too hard), but any help with would be much appreciated.  Most of the Google info on the UA-5 is pretty old and USB > laptop info, so help with Oade digi mod is definitely a help.

Thanks for anyone's time who wants to comment.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
Re: UA-5 and cables needed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 01:48:52 AM »
You can use either 1/8" > XLRs or  RCA to go from the 9100.  To go out you need rca > 1/8" to the R-09.  I would use the RCA for both out and in if I were you.  It will fit a lot cleaner in your bag, especially if you get right angles.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline achalsey

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 02:08:55 AM »
So, as I just grabbed an RCA > 1/8" cable to go from the UA5 into the R-09 (from you and much appreciated, by the way), with the CA 14's having a 1/8" out do I just need a RCA male adapter into the UA5?

And I'm getting off topic being in the cable section, but doesn't the UA5 eliminate the need for the 9100?

This is what I was thinking:  CA mics (w/ 1/8" cables) > RCA adapter > UA5 > RCA cables > 1/8" adapter > R-09?

Edit: (and again, I'm getting off the cable topic) but with the lineage above (if its right): is that just utilizing it as a pre, or the A/D converter as well?  Basically what cables do I need to get from the CA 14's to the R09 to best utilize the UA5 (and the 9100 if it will help)

Ugh, sorry for asking basically, "tell me what to do to get it right."  Feel free to ignore this any further...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 02:17:53 AM by achalsey »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:01:22 AM »
The UA5 is a combination preamp and ADC.  It does not provide analog pass-through, meaning the analog output of the UA5 goes through the following signal path:  analog gain (preamp) > ADC > DAC > analog out.  So if you're using the analog outputs on the UA5, your signal is going through an unnecessary analog-to-digital conversion + digital-to-analog conversion.

Your mics and preamp are well matched (CA-14 > 9100) and also well-suited to running straight into a quality recorder, like the R-09 (which performs the analog-to-digital conversion, as well as storing the recording).  I don't think the UA5 provides much value in this situation;  I'd just stick with CA-14 > 9100 > R-09.  If you had condensor mics requiring phantom power, then it would make sense to use the UA5 and run mics > UA5 > recorder (preferably digital-in), but obviously that's not the case here.

Is there a specific reason, issue, problem, that spurred the UA5 purchase?  If so, perhaps there's an alternative solution that will better suit your gear.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline achalsey

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:59:05 AM »

Is there a specific reason, issue, problem, that spurred the UA5 purchase?

Nope, just didn't do my homework.  A slight late night impairment of judgment may have helped the decision as well.  :-\

Thanks you very much for the info though.  I don't know nearly enough about the actual input/outputs and what each one does and what happens between them inside each device, so apologize for an uninformed question, but am very appreciative of the guidance.

Hopefully I'm not being naive, but I'm not too bummed to put the UA5 in the back of the bag until an upgrade of mics.  I should have plenty opportunities to mix and match so it might be fun just to try even though the 9100 is technically better matched.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »
whatever you do, just make sure you dont give your mics phantom power from from the ua5... or then you be looking for some new mics.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 11:54:19 AM »
The UA5 is good for two things that you don't really need with your current setup

*preamp and phantom power for condenser mics
* Analog>digital conversion for digital output

If you aren't utilizing either of these features you aren't really gaining anything by running it in your rig....gives you a good excuse to go out and get some full size condenser mics for open taping tho   :D

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline achalsey

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »
Well, while it was a pretty good deal, I'm kicking myself a bit now.  Thanks for all the info though.

gives you a good excuse to go out and get some full size condenser mics for open taping tho   :D

And oh great, thanks.  Now I'll have to stop myself from checking the yard sale more seriously to make another impulse buy.   >:D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com