Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Overburning" audio CDs  (Read 10432 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
"Overburning" audio CDs
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »
Hi. Just thought I'd ask around to see whether people here have any experience with this.

I recently recorded an opera performance that when mixed and edited, still runs about 30 seconds over the nominal time that my usual "80-minute" CD-R blanks can officially hold. My CD recording software (Nero) allows me the option of pushing this limit, but warns that the resulting discs may not work in all players.

Has anyone here explored this territory? Have you found players that had trouble playing the discs all the way to the end, or how much "extra" recording time could be used before such trouble occurred?

I've heard that some blanks are available with more than an 80-minute capacity--has anyone here used those, and if so, with what degree of success and/or difficulty?

Many thanks for any solid information.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
Re: "Overburning" audio CDs
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:03:40 PM »
I've never used em....  but I've heard that the "over 80min. capacity" discs can not always be read in various CD players.  So, I've always stayed away from them personally.  YMMV.
I've used "overburn" in Nero before with what seemed like good results.  I've also received "overburned" discs from friends that I've always been able to play without problem.  Beyond that, I have zero "technical support" to offer.
So, from my personal experiences....  I'd choose the "overburn" method unless/until you get complaints from the recipients of said discs.  But as always....  YMMV.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:25:24 PM »
I've never used the discs or was even aware they made discs for over the 80min limit.

However, I constantly over burn I think up to three or four minutes over the 80 minute limit
and never had any bad copies. I dig the nero for that.
I still burn every recording to audio disc. I know, I'm from the stoned ages.  :laugh:
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »
I have had issues with skipping on some players when overburned discs come close to the 80 min mark. Not always, but occasionally.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:53:18 PM »
I've always been curious about the warning re: damaging your cd burner. Anyone know the likelihood of that?
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:15:21 AM »
I have had issues with skipping on some players when overburned discs come close to the 80 min mark. Not always, but occasionally.

'Bout the same experience here. I have noticed that on my particular computer overburning less than a minute and a half was fine and overburning greater than that time could be a crapshoot.
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »
I have noticed that on my particular computer overburning less than a minute and a half was fine and overburning greater than that time could be a crapshoot.

+1

I don't recall any skipping issues during playback if und the ninety second mark, but really only used. Few players (the factory installed ones in my cars over the years.

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »
I'm curious why you ask this question...  Some thoughts of mine...

If you plan to listen on disc yourself on your own player, this should only be a technical concern for yourself.  I have to think that this question has arisen because you want to spread the show in some way (privately to the opera or otherwise)...

In this situation, I think I would try to slip in an extra trackbreak resulting in a 30sec track that could be could removed, if the person cannot overburn.  Crowd noise, intro, something...  They can still get 99% of the show, its just got anamoly...  Or they could burn the full show onto 2 discs...

If you can't do that, I would track it out for two 40min. discs.  If someone wants to try and overburn themselves they can do so, but the dumbie user may not even know they could overburn...

But I think it all depends on your target audience.  If it were me, and I was handing out CDRs to the opera members, I'd do a double-disc set.  If I was seeding on Dime, I would seed it as a "set" and let people burn however they wanted...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:51:07 AM »
I've done it several times without issue. iirc you can't go over 82 minutes
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 06:10:45 AM »
I've done it several times without issue. iirc you can't go over 82 minutes

Yes. I've done it up to 82 minutes several times with Nero 7 & the discs played perfectly in the 5 or so players they were tried in. Once I tried a bunch of seconds over 82 minutes and Nero didn't warn me of a problem, but the discs wouldn't work.

I wouldn't worry about doing 80:30 with Nero. After you do it, if it plays in your players, it should play in your clients'/friends' players.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:01:07 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:09:58 PM »
I've done it in situations like that where I'm just seconds over... it seems to work fine in most players.  Think of a vinyl record... imagine you squeezed the grooves together just a little bit tighter to make more fit.  Supposedly some devices will croak if you try to squeeze that last little bit.  I haven't run into one.

On a side note, I think there is some seldom mentioned magical limit at 78minutes.  If you go to get a bunch of CD's replicated in a batch of 100 for example, they will make you sign a waiver if you exceed 78minutes.  I have my original living room CD player I have had since 1985, so that is "old school" long before anyone had home CD burners.  Then when CD-R's came out they were 74 minutes, then eventually 80 min CD-Rs came out.  This CD player isn't particular fussy about what you feed it, such as scratched CD's etc, different brands of CD-R, but it doesn't like CD-R's with more than 78minutes on them...
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 03:58:26 PM »
I have my original living room CD player I have had since 1985, so that is "old school" long before anyone had home CD burners.  Then when CD-R's came out they were 74 minutes, then eventually 80 min CD-Rs came out.  This CD player isn't particular fussy about what you feed it, such as scratched CD's etc, different brands of CD-R, but it doesn't like CD-R's with more than 78minutes on them...

Consider yourself lucky in that regard... my dad has a Technics unit from that era, and when it comes to CD-Rs, it's Taiyo Yuden or nothing. Anything other than a TY will result in skips and freezeups.

My luck with overburning has been poor as well, to the point that I don't overburn.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:06:55 PM »
I have used overburn on Nero many times. Worked fine for me.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 12:26:06 PM »
I have some no name 90 min CD-R's that I have burned up to 84 min on - The amount you can fit is determined by the drive - Only a handfull of drives approach the 90 min mark but most can get about 84 min or so.

If you want some I can mail them to you to try.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com