Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: H4N in stereo mode -- Can it do any mixing? (new purchaser)  (Read 2895 times)

Offline abr88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
H4N in stereo mode -- Can it do any mixing? (new purchaser)
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:22 AM »
Say there are 2 external mics plugged in at the bottom of the H4N -- can each of these mics be MIXED, in stereo mode, with the signal from the built-in mic from the corresponding channel, resulting in a 2-channel recording, with each channel being a combination of the built-in and external mic for that channel?

Not that I would necessarily want to do this, just curious as to how it works.  Does the external mic clobber the built-in mic? What if it's stereo mode and, say, an external mic is plugged into the left channel ONLY, nothing external into the right channel.  Would right channel be drawn from the built-in mic?

Any info would be appreciated!

Offline groundhog2

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • lma recordings
Re: H4N in stereo mode -- Can it do any mixing? (new purchaser)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 02:12:11 PM »
Say there are 2 external mics plugged in at the bottom of the H4N -- can each of these mics be MIXED, in stereo mode, with the signal from the built-in mic from the corresponding channel, resulting in a 2-channel recording, with each channel being a combination of the built-in and external mic for that channel?

in stereo mode you can only record using either the 2 inputs or the built in mics.   Using the "4ch" or "mtr" mode is where you could simultaneously record the mics & inputs, i think.  I'm not absolutely sure because I haven't used my unit enough & have always used it as stereo mode.  So i'm not sure if it mixes down the tracks as it's recording them but i doubt it....Most likely you'll have 4 tracks (2 stereo) in "4ch" or "mtr" mode.

What if it's stereo mode and, say, an external mic is plugged into the left channel ONLY, nothing external into the right channel.  Would right channel be drawn from the built-in mic?

No.  In stereo mode if the "inputs" are selected as the source it'll only record those 2 tracks.  If nothing is plugged into one, it'll record nothing on that track.....I'm pretty sure there is a "mono mix" setting, there was one on the h4 anyway.  If mono mix setting was on and you were recording using the inputs w/ nothing plugged in to one channel, it would record the other channel onto both tracks.

Way too many things to list that i hate about this unit.  hope you figure it out and are happy with using it. 8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:16:16 PM by groundhog2 »

Offline abr88

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:31:04 PM »
Thanks a lot -- very helpful reply!

Offline Muddy Das

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »

Way too many things to list that i hate about this unit.  hope you figure it out and are happy with using it. 8)
[/quote]

hey i am a newbie to taping live shows but i was thinking about buying this unit. should i not get one? and any suggestions on what to get?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »
^^ I would not get one. 

If you really want 4 channels and want to spend about that amount of money, the Tascam DR-2D is better. 

If you don't care about 4 channels (and really, if you're new to taping, I wouldn't make that a primary concern) I'd recommend (again at about that price) the Sony PCM-M10 or (for more money) the Sony PCM-D50.  The D50 is probably a more versatile unit to have if you continue upgrading your rig because it has digital inputs and is very sturdily built.  That said, many of us here (myself included from time to time) run pretty nice mics/pres into the M10 and like it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
Hi,

Been using the H4n quite heavy for 2 years now, tested it almost every way possible, its built from a piece of plastic (junk, but it works, even when it fell to the floor several times, no harm done) but no other recorder can beat it in terms of versability/cost, the internal capsules are OK, similar to the sony D50 (more neutral), a bit heavy on mids and highs, 4 ch and XLR with 48v... if you dont push them, the preamps work without any added noise, it depends on your mics.
If you're in some place (outside) and you want to record something, this unit is very straight forward, no need for other mics, pre-amps, the works, like the case of the  M-10, with crippled internals (a pair of omni's that cant translate the stereo image because they are so close together)... I've used it several times in 4ch rec, with internals and a Shure VP88 on XLR, or with a pair of Church audio binaurals (with PIP on), and the same Shure, it cant do 2 mixing on the spot, you get 2 stereo files... i use enloop batteries and it last quite a lot, 1h to 1h30 in these setups...
Sorry for not going to the point in your question, but I see a lot of people bashing out the recorder, when it does quite well...
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com