Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Making a mono recording from one channel of a stereo recording  (Read 3688 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
So just a quick question I need reassurance with.  One of my mics apparently had some water issues I didn't realize (the other was fine) so I was thinking of just duplicating the good channel in a mono recording.

Am I correct in inverting the copied channel to make it balanced on both sides? 

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Making a mono recording from one channel of a stereo recording
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
I did this recently and simply cut 6 ms from one channel to give it a bit more depth.  Not great, but better than a straight mono recording.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »
Did your mics get rained on??? 

So just a quick question I need reassurance with.  One of my mics apparently had some water issues I didn't realize (the other was fine) so I was thinking of just duplicating the good channel in a mono recording.

Am I correct in inverting the copied channel to make it balanced on both sides?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »
Not that I know of but at rib fest on friday it must have been awfully humid.  I had the screens and rats on and there definitely wasn't any direct rain but 20 minutes or so into the set I got that 'wind-type noise' that I guess water around the capsule makes.  Didn't really realize until yesterday when it was really bad.  Levels were off like crazy for Jackass flats (though the sound guy had a bizarre mix going).  Switched the mics from right to left to see if it wasn't a cable or something but the same mic was still having serious level issues.  It's channel on the UA5 was at max gain an wasn't even peaking at half the 120 screen, and I dialed back the other mic gain to 10 or 11 oclock to try and have roughly equal levels, though the good mic was still peaking a good deal higher.

I was too tired to remember last night, but after tracking out Jackass Flats this morning took them out and after taking off one of the caps there was definite moisture under the cap and on the connecter to the body.  I've left the cap and body out on a paper towel drying all day, hopefully it doesn't have any significant damage.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:46:39 PM »
I was too tired to remember last night, but after tracking out Jackass Flats this morning took them out and after taking off one of the caps there was definite moisture under the cap and on the connecter to the body.  I've left the cap and body out on a paper towel drying all day, hopefully it doesn't have any significant damage.

You might want to think about storing the mics along with a silica gel packet or two.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:04:07 AM »
Funny, this same thing happen to me a few weeks ago when taping in the rain.  I've never experienced it before with any mics, but my dead rat screens must have soaked up enough water to create a short in one of my mics and I lost signal from that mic for about 20 minutes or so.  I was surprised because I have taped  in the pouring rain with this same rig multiple times and have never lost signal before.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:09:26 AM »
I've achieved reasonable results introducing a delay on one channel, as well as channel-specific EQ -- primarly more LF on one channel, more HF on the other.  Finding the right balance depends on personal preference.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline achalsey

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:44:31 AM »
Thanks guys.  I would have never thought to add a slight delay, thats good to know.

Silica gel did came to mind when I found the mic was wet in its case.  I read craft stores have them for floral stuff, might take a look at some of those.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
Try AC More in the Oakley shopping center! 

Thanks guys.  I would have never thought to add a slight delay, thats good to know.

Silica gel did came to mind when I found the mic was wet in its case.  I read craft stores have them for floral stuff, might take a look at some of those.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
in wavelab you can open the file and then right click on the wave. it will open up a menu which will allow you to do a virtual split of a stereo track. then you delete the one file. this is also handy if you meant to record as mono but ended up with stereo tracks.

Offline jojolafrite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 01:31:41 PM »
pretty easy with audacity too : click on arrow next the track name > separate stereo track

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com