Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adding audio from edirol to video recording  (Read 3159 times)

Offline pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Adding audio from edirol to video recording
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:19:32 AM »
Im hoping to film a band on friday night ( stealth ) and will also be recording with my edirol ( 24 bit) and wondered how to synch the 24 bit audio.Ive always used 16bit audio when syncing audio,but how do i edit(crop/fade ) auido and save as 24 to add to video project.I doubt the filming will be perfect and more than likely staic,but if i wanted to circulate it,it would be better with the 24 bit audio wouldnt it?.If anyone can suggest anything it would be very much appreciated.

Offline genesisoh

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The Y1K problem caused the dark ages!
Re: Adding audio from edirol to video recording
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 03:53:45 PM »
Im hoping to film a band on friday night ( stealth ) and will also be recording with my edirol ( 24 bit) and wondered how to synch the 24 bit audio.Ive always used 16bit audio when syncing audio,but how do i edit(crop/fade ) auido and save as 24 to add to video project.I doubt the filming will be perfect and more than likely staic,but if i wanted to circulate it,it would be better with the 24 bit audio wouldnt it?.If anyone can suggest anything it would be very much appreciated.

I am kind of a noob at audio synching, but I have recently done it successfully, so I can give you my perspective.  First, you may need to clean up/trim/etc your 24/48 audio, so use a program such as Cool Edit Pro that does audio editing and save in 24/48.  I use Sony Vegas 10 to make DVDs.  Bring your video and cam audio into Vegas, then add your 24/48 track underneath.  The trick now is to synch your 24/48 audio with the cam audio.  One way to accomplish this is to pan the cam audio to the left and pan the 24/48 audio to the right.  Then, using headphones, move the 24/48 track until it is in synch with the cam audio.  If your video has no breaks, then I would check the audio at the end of the show to see if it is still in synch.  If it is, then remove the cam audio track from vegas and you are done (at least with this phase).  Otherwise you may have a break in either the audio or video that is causing the disparity.  If that is not the case, then it is likely that the cam and the edirol are not in synch.  I forgot how to do this, but you can change the speed of the 24/48 video slightly until it does match up.  Again, once it matches remove the cam audio and you are done.

I hope that helps!
Mics: CA-14 cards and omnis
Preamp: CA 9100 (not currently in use - wanna buy it???)
Recorder: TASCAM DR-2D
Video: Sony hx9v; Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (old faithful)

Offline sec1968

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »
I jnust did this for a show with a hot SBD feed into my camera. Pain in the ass!! Of course I had to do each song, but once you get the first song to synch up you'll be that much closer with the rest of them. You'll need to listen to video playback and audio playback to see how far off you are, and trim your audio to get them to line up.

Good luck!

shane
tapersec1968 (at) gmail.com

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/sec1968

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »

I am kind of a noob at audio synching, but I have recently done it successfully, so I can give you my perspective.  First, you may need to clean up/trim/etc your 24/48 audio, so use a program such as Cool Edit Pro that does audio editing and save in 24/48.  I use Sony Vegas 10 to make DVDs.  Bring your video and cam audio into Vegas, then add your 24/48 track underneath.  The trick now is to synch your 24/48 audio with the cam audio.  One way to accomplish this is to pan the cam audio to the left and pan the 24/48 audio to the right.  Then, using headphones, move the 24/48 track until it is in synch with the cam audio.  If your video has no breaks, then I would check the audio at the end of the show to see if it is still in synch.  If it is, then remove the cam audio track from vegas and you are done (at least with this phase).  Otherwise you may have a break in either the audio or video that is causing the disparity.  If that is not the case, then it is likely that the cam and the edirol are not in synch.  I forgot how to do this, but you can change the speed of the 24/48 video slightly until it does match up.  Again, once it matches remove the cam audio and you are done.

I hope that helps!

Just a few follow-up points ~

1.  Something I found out the hard way:  never delete the cam audio.  This is because you just never know when you might need it again - and it doesn't hurt to just leave it as is because you can always mute it.  If you delete it, and then discover that you accidentally bumped a file to the left or right - you'll drive yourself crazy trying to synch a video clip with no audio back up with your alternate audio.

2.  A good baseline is to synch to alternate audio with the cam audio.  However - depending on how far you are from the sound system - the cam audio might not be in synch (especially if you're filming from the cheap seats).  So after synching it with the cam audio - visually check to make sure it's actually in synch.  The best way to do that is to watch the drummer hitting the drums.  It might look kind of silly, but I have found the best way to really determine if the audio is in synch is to watch the drummer and play air drums along with the beat.  If the drummer's arms are in perfect synch with your arms while you're playing air drums - your audio and video are in synch.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com