Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR100 MKII (as Bit Bucket) and Mytek Stereo192 ADC - Incompatable?  (Read 24091 times)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
I ran the following setup , Gefell>SD USBPre2>Mytek Stereo 192ADC. I ran digi out from the S/PDIF rca jacks from the USBPre2 to the Tascam DR100 MKII and from the Mytek to an MT2496. That worked fine, but my original intention was to run the reverse and run the USBPre2 into the MT2496 and the Mytek into the DR100MKII. That configuration gave me a DIN Unlock Message on the Tascam, which I know Steve got when he ran AES/EBU in his testing. I was using the S/PDIF out of the Mytek for sure but had the same issue.

I assume this will mean the Tascam DR100 MKII may not work with some older units, similar to the Sony D-50 issues many had with Grace. Since I do not think Mytek will be as accommodating, I am wondering if there may be any ideas out there. I will do more testing, but since I have a workable setup, I don't have any urgency right now. I will do more testing probably over the weekend.

Any thoughts?
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Tascam DR100 MKII (as Bit Bucket) and Mytek Stereo192 ADC - Incompatable?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »
I ran the following setup , Gefell>SD USBPre2>Mytek Stereo 192ADC. I ran digi out from the S/PDIF rca jacks from the USBPre2 to the Tascam DR100 MKII and from the Mytek to an MT2496. That worked fine, but my original intention was to run the reverse and run the USBPre2 into the MT2496 and the Mytek into the DR100MKII. That configuration gave me a DIN Unlock Message on the Tascam, which I know Steve got when he ran AES/EBU in his testing. I was using the S/PDIF out of the Mytek for sure but had the same issue.

I assume this will mean the Tascam DR100 MKII may not work with some older units, similar to the Sony D-50 issues many had with Grace. Since I do not think Mytek will be as accommodating, I am wondering if there may be any ideas out there. I will do more testing, but since I have a workable setup, I don't have any urgency right now. I will do more testing probably over the weekend.

Any thoughts?

I'd lay money it's in mytek's interpretation of the SPDIF spec which based on what I've read has been what other units have gotten hit with. Older units, in a rush to get something out the door, settled on the non-finalized design, so once that really solidified, we now see recorders which are expecting XQR and are getting XzR which they don't like.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:13 PM »

Any thoughts?

I'd lay money it's in mytek's interpretation of the SPDIF spec which based on what I've read has been what other units have gotten hit with. Older units, in a rush to get something out the door, settled on the non-finalized design, so once that really solidified, we now see recorders which are expecting XQR and are getting XzR which they don't like.

I understand your explanation Page, but doesn't it seem like Cliff's Mytek would be similar to my mini-me as far as playing with the new Tascam?  The Tascam locks onto the mme with no problem.  FWIW, to add confusion to Cliffs experience, the mini-me wouldn't interface with the D50 SPDIF signal that I bought and sold.  I used one of those HOSA optical converters to get the SPDIF from the mini-me to the D50.

Cliff, please don't be offended by my simple question which I'm sure you already know, but just making sure...you've checked that the Tascam settings for sample rate and bit depth, which are menu driven, are the same as the Mytek, right?  They have to be the same for the Tascam to lock onto the Mytek digi-signal.  In other words, it's not automatic that the Tascam adjusts to the Mytek...you have to match them manually. 

Offensive Question No. 2:  Also, make sure that in the 'Remote/Digi In' menu that you've selected DIGI IN under the Function setting.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:30:42 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »

Any thoughts?

I understand your explanation Page, but doesn't it seem like Cliff's Mytek would be similar to my mini-me as far as playing with the new Tascam?  The Tascam locks onto the mme with no problem.  FWIW, to add confusion to Cliffs experience, the mini-me wouldn't interface with the D50 SPDIF signal that I bought and sold.  I used one of those HOSA optical converters to get the SPDIF from the mini-me to the D50.

touche, I wonder if there is varying degrees of tolerance with the tascam where there wasn't with the D50. It's picky about certain bits but doesn't care about others? Dunno.

I wonder if the hosa strips some of the vital non-sample bits like headers, during conversion that the D50 is looking for. Has anyone tried it with a usbpre2 which does send a valid signal that the D50 will take?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »
I've rolled next to Cliff the last two nights and he did indeed have the DIGI set because he took a signal from his USB Pre just fine.  Settings we 24/48, the same as the Mytek.  His trusty MicroTrack 2496 took a signal from the Mytek just fine.  One more option would be to try plugging my Tascam HD-P2 or his to see if that accepts a signal as I am taking digi in from my V3 (Steve's old one :-)  ).  Or he could try taking a signal from my V3 to his DR100mkII.  Lots of options.

BTW, I ran that my KM-184's>V3 last night for DSO at First Av in Minneapolis and pulled possibly my best sounding recording every from that room.  3 Umphrey's McGee in the next two nights in the same place.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
I've rolled next to Cliff the last two nights and he did indeed have the DIGI set because he took a signal from his USB Pre just fine.  Settings we 24/48, the same as the Mytek.  His trusty MicroTrack 2496 took a signal from the Mytek just fine.  One more option would be to try plugging my Tascam HD-P2 or his to see if that accepts a signal as I am taking digi in from my V3 (Steve's old one :-)  ).  Or he could try taking a signal from my V3 to his DR100mkII.  Lots of options.

BTW, I ran that my KM-184's>V3 last night for DSO at First Av in Minneapolis and pulled possibly my best sounding recording every from that room.  3 Umphrey's McGee in the next two nights in the same place.

Dammit!  Sorry to hear that Cliff.  Well, that's just strange behavior.  Since the MT2496 locks onto the Tascam and since my mini-me locks onto the Tascam, that does seem to indict the Mytek as the odd-ball out on this discussion.  Unfortunately, I recall a recent post from someone else saying that they had contacted Mytek about a potential fix on SPDIF incompatibility with the D50 and Mytek told them that the issue was Sony's and didn't offer any support at all.  Not a very good response.

This might be a long shot Cliff, but someone posted a link in one of my DR100mkII threads to a $25 cable that apparently converts AES/EBU to SPDIF.  Perhaps you could try going from the Mytek's AES output connector into the Tascam using this cable?!?  It just might work because as I mentioned in my review, for some reason the Tascam did in fact lock onto one of the 24bit AES/EBU signals out of my mini-me (can't remember if it was 44.1 or 48) even though it wouldn't lock onto any of the other AES/EBU settings.

Perhaps it would be worth checking the AES/EBU out of the Mytek to see if you can get one or more of the settings to lock like my mini-me did.  If you have an XLR > RCA cable just give it a shot to see if you get any signal compatibility at any of the settings.

PS:  How's it going Rick?

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 03:17:23 PM »

Dammit!  Sorry to hear that Cliff.  Well, that's just strange behavior.  Since the MT2496 locks onto the Tascam and since my mini-me locks onto the Tascam, that does seem to indict the Mytek as the odd-ball out on this discussion.  Unfortunately, I recall a recent post from someone else saying that they had contacted Mytek about a potential fix on SPDIF incompatibility with the D50 and Mytek told them that the issue was Sony's and didn't offer any support at all.  Not a very good response.

This might be a long shot Cliff, but someone posted a link in one of my DR100mkII threads to a $25 cable that apparently converts AES/EBU to SPDIF.  Perhaps you could try going from the Mytek's AES output connector into the Tascam using this cable?!?  It just might work because as I mentioned in my review, for some reason the Tascam did in fact lock onto one of the 24bit AES/EBU signals out of my mini-me (can't remember if it was 44.1 or 48) even though it wouldn't lock onto any of the other AES/EBU settings.

Perhaps it would be worth checking the AES/EBU out of the Mytek to see if you can get one or more of the settings to lock like my mini-me did.  If you have an XLR > RCA cable just give it a shot to see if you get any signal compatibility at any of the settings.

PS:  How's it going Rick?

Exactly my thinking Steve. I'll play with the AES/EBU and the various cables I have and see if I get a lock at any of the settings. I can also contact Mytek just so they hear from one more person. I'll probably just play around with it this weekend when I have some time, and see what happens. I know your mini me worked at 24/44.1. That would be fine if I discovered the same, so I'll report back. Nursing a bad cold now, so I'll rest up and report back when I have tried all the various possible combinations.

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
^ Well then that's your answer...you and your Mytek have the same virus.   :P

kirk97132

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
DISCLAIMER: Not sure if this applies to the DR-100

When the USBPre2 first came it it would not work with my DR-680 and some sony decks(not sure of model number) Sound Devices has since fixed that problem.  But, the cause of the problem still exists.  The Tascam (and Sony) deck did not read the actual incoming data it took it's information from the header.  In turn it would not lock correctly.  This is a problem that still exists with the Auident Mico preamp's spdif feed.  As I worked through this problem with Sound Devices one of the decks I was also using was  Micro Tracker, which would lock to the spdif feed(before SD update).  It sounds like you are running into the same problem and it is an incompatibility issue between the preamp and recorder.  Tascam is not going to do anything about it and odds are the same goes for Mytek.  Just like the fact that there will not be any cahnges to the Mico.  In laymans terms the tascam is looking for a consumer style information in the spdif stream and cannot read a professional style information in the stream.  That is a huge oversimplification and the best way I know how to describe the problem, even though it might not be exactly accurate so don't rake me over the coals for it 8)  Sound Devices made a change to their software and did an update that patched the USBPre2.  The Pre2 now supplies the information that the Tascam and Sony decks are looking for.  I believe(but I'm not positieve) that the Tascam deck WILL lock to the AES feed from the mico.  IF the Mytek has AES output I'd try feeding that to the Tascam.  But only if the DR-100 is able to accept an AES signal(the DR-680 is designed for AES signal).  Hope that helps 

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »
We never could get either the spdf or aes to lock on to the TAscam. The mt and sd boxes no prob.

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 03:09:12 PM »
We never could get either the spdf or aes to lock on to the TAscam. The mt and sd boxes no prob.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
All great replies. I have learned a great deal from everyone on this issue.

This is hopefully good knowledge for shoppers, becasue these issues are best known so we can work around them as best we know how to meet our own taping objectives. I think it is super cool that SD worked it out, and I do not blame the other companies for not working it out, their priorities are whatever they are. I don't think that makes them bad, but I do totally applaud the fixes that some manufacturers have worked out. Nice that we have some voice as a community.

I'll try and find some time to do more in depth testing this weekend. I wouldn't rule out my calling Mytek, but I'd be expecting at best to plant a seed, not much more. I am looking forward to comparing the differences between going Gefell>SD USBpre2>Mytek>MT2496 and Gefell>SD USBpre2>Tascam DR100MKII, as they can run simultaneously. I recorded a bunch of stuff, but have not had time to give a close listen as of yet.

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 04:02:37 PM »
Excuse me? I dont understand why you say it is bullshit? I did own a tascam and other digital preamps. The Mico wasn't able to lock on to either the aes or spdf. Confirmed!

stevetoney

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 04:11:03 PM »
I'm just saying that it's too bad...bullshit...that they don't lock.  I feel badly for you and Cliff that your gear isn't working like you'd like it to.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 04:24:09 PM »
I'm just saying that it's too bad...bullshit...that they don't lock.  I feel badly for you and Cliff that your gear isn't working like you'd like it to.
No Sweat Steve, I never misunderstood your comment or took it wrong. I think it is Bull too, in the scope of life, but I'm fine since I have the MT. Maybe I'll pick up a marantz at some point and maybe the Mytek will work with the my Tascam HD P2 (maybe not).

Thanks!

Offline tcf

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
No harm no foul, I like others would rather everyone be as informed as possible.  I have spent thousands on gear to be dissapointed by manufacturer design flaws.

Offline drchen

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Love this community!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 05:59:48 PM »
Has anyone tried the Tascam Dr-100mkii with the SPDIF out from a V3 or a Benchmark AD2k? That is to say, does it lock with no problems?
Capturing live musical moments in time:-)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »
With some time this wekend to play around, I did try all different combinations of the Mytek into the DR100 MKII and none of them worked. So the two items are not compatable.

I did also try the Mytek into the Tascam HDP2 and that was fine, no issues at all. So for those Mytek lovers (and they do sound great), it would not be advisable to purchase a DR100 MKII as a bit bucket for the unit.

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »
Im having the same issues with my mytek and sony d50. I called mytek a handfull of times and it seems there's only one tech guy there that knows anything (mihow) and I've left several messages with no response yet. Everytime I've called Ive spoken to Jeff or someone else and they always say" I'll leave a message for Mihow and he'll get back to you tomorrow". Gonna try again today...

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 12:50:16 PM »
Also I thinks it pretty weird that a Tascam  HDP2 ( which is several years older) would except a feed via spdif and the Tascam DR100 MKII would not...

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 01:02:10 PM »
Also I thinks it pretty weird that a Tascam  HDP2 ( which is several years older) would except a feed via spdif and the Tascam DR100 MKII would not...

I still think it's a difference in spec conforming between devices made after 24 bit was finalized and before. The current specification doesn't seem to be backwards compatable while it appears everyone made their recording devices forwards compatable and ultra-tolerant.  :-\

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »

I still think it's a difference in spec conforming between devices made after 24 bit was finalized and before. The current specification doesn't seem to be backwards compatable while it appears everyone made their recording devices forwards compatable and ultra-tolerant.  :-\

I think Page nailed it exactly right here.

Also Stober if you want me to start pestering Mytek, just say the word. Maybe together we can push for a firmware patch or something. Personally I'd be happy to send the unit to them and spend a few dollars if they could make it compatable.

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »

Also Stober if you want me to start pestering Mytek, just say the word. Maybe together we can push for a firmware patch or something. Personally I'd be happy to send the unit to them and spend a few dollars if they could make it compatable.

Yeah I would.I know someone else that would get the opti mod done on the mytek if the sony d50 would work with it.  Maybe if there's a few of us will get a firmware update....fingers crossed.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 02:54:43 PM »

Yeah I would.I know someone else that would get the opti mod done on the mytek if the sony d50 would work with it.  Maybe if there's a few of us will get a firmware update....fingers crossed.

I sent a request to Mytek Digital on Feb. 7 but while I have yet to get anything more than a confirmation back.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
You might want to be very specific and tell them you'd like to know how the Mytek assigns bytes for the 192 bits (24 bytes) for the channel status in the audio frame, for both the spdif outputs and the AES outputs.  Tell them you are most interested in the first 2 bytes of the channel status in the audio frame in particular (again, for both their spdif output and their AES output).  Tell them you are having problems with your Mytek working with your recorder and you want to get this information from both of the equipment manufacturers and ensure that both are properly addressing the relevant spdif and AES standards so that you can determine why the two units are not working together.

The bottom line is that the Mytek is marketing itself as providing an AES digital output and a spdif digital output (and to clarify, not that they are simply providing an AES output on an RCA connector).  Similarly, Tascam is claiming they have a recorder that accepts a spdif digital input.  If both companies are doing what they say, the units should work together.  If Mytek is claiming it isn't their fault, they should provide you the above information.  Frankly, I'm betting Mytek is at fault, and not Tascam (and Sony with the D50).

There probably is an issue with how they are marketing their ADC.  The AES standard and the Spdif standard are not the same standard, with two different types of connectors (XLR and RCA), they are different standards with different requirements to comply.  The trouble is, the standards for audio word/audio block development are very, very similar.  So I can easily see that an ADC mfg might want to just comply with one standard to make it easy on themselves, but they are marketing their ADC as if it is meeting two standards and supplying 2 different outputs:  AES and spdif (not just an AES signal on an RCA output, and calling it spdif).

Again, it could be either Mytek or Tascam who is at fault.  The way to find out is to get them to tell you how they are assigning (or reading in the case of the recorder mfg) the channel status bytes in the audio frame.

Ok, that's not short, but that's the short story.  Here's the long story:

The AES/AES3 and spdif standards are practically the same.  I think the only difference is how they assign the channel status bit.  As background, both AES and spdif expect a 32-bit word (or 64-bit, with 32-bit subframes for the left and right channels).  Of those 32-bits, there are 24-bits of audio, leaving 8 bits (one byte) for other information.  That isn't much room, so what is done is that each of those 8 bits has a different function (and one of those bits is the channel status bit). 

To make these single bits useful, the audio is separated into an "audio frame" of 192 audio samples long.  This provides 384 bits of information (192 samples of 2 channels each), so for each L-R channel, you get 192bits of information (24 bytes) in an audio frame.  So as you are capturing audio samples (at 48k samples per second, or 96 samples per second or whatever), the single available bits in the audio word are being strung together to make useful bytes of information for each of those 8 extra status bits (beyond the 24 bits of audio).

The only difference between AES and spdif is how the Channel status "bit" is turned into channel statues information in the audio frame.  Again, you're getting 24 bytes of information in the 192-sample-long "audio frame".  These bytes have different meanings for AES and for spdif.  The first 2 bytes are the most important, esp the first byte.

Here are the assignments for the AES channel status bytes:

And here are the assignments for the spdif channel status bytes:

As you can see, AES and spdif assign things differently for the channel status bit.  A couple things to take from this:  in both cases Bit 0 of Byte 0 is the bit for assigning spdif vs AES.  So an ADC company that includes both an AES output and a Spdif output should be outputting 2 completely different "words" (audio samples) on those two outputs.  The AES output should have Bit 0 of Byte 0 of the channel status bit of the audio sample within the audio frame set to 1 to indicate that what is being provided is an actual AES output.  And similarly, Bit 0 of Byte 0 of the Channel Status 24-byte frame should be set to 0 for the digital audio stream being sent out of the RCA spdif output.

The other thing to notice in particular is Bit 2 of Byte 0:  For the AES output, this bit addresses whether there is any pre-emphasis encoding of the audio signal. For the spdif output, this bit assigns whether copying (ie, reading by your recorder) is permitted, or if copying (allowing your recorder to accept the signal and record) is restricted.

Remember, this is all strung together out of 1 bit of a 32-bit long audio word, of which 24bits are audio, and the other 7 bits are all the same for both AES and spdif.  So an ADC mfg might easily try to cut corners and just output the same information for both the AES output and the spdif output.  And since the audio is the same for both AES and spdif, they feel that the Recorder mfg should just ignore this channel status stuff and allow copying (recording the digital audio).

It could be the Recorder mfg is "at fault".  But if the ADC company is not sending out a Channel status frame with Bit 0 of Byte 0 set to 0, then they are not sending out a true spdif signal, they are sending out an AES signal.  And if they do set that bit to 0 for spdif and aren't sending a signal of 1 of Bit 2 of Byte 0 of the Channel Status frame (the copy restrict/permit bit), then they are saying they have a Spdif output, but the spdif output they are sending is telling recorders not to record the signal that is being provided (which would be pretty stupid -- hey, here's an audio signal I'm providing, but you shouldn't allow it to be recorded).

Bottom line to all this:  you should get Mytek to provide you what is being assigned, for the digital audio stream being output on their "spdif" output, to Bit 0 of Byte 0 of the Channel status frame, and Bit 2 of Byte 0 of the Channel status frame.  If they are not 0 and 1 respectively, then they are not providing a true Spdif output as they are advertising on their ADC192, and they should upgrade their firmware to correct the problem, and/or should stop marketing their ADCs as providing and refund the money of customers who bought their ADCs expecting a true spdif output when the ADCs were not providing it.

And if Mytek is providing all of that correctly and correctly implementing the spdif standard, then turn that all around:  get with Tascam and find out how they are treating the Channel status frame with their recorders and if it isn't meeting the spdif standard, then they need to fix the problem, or stop their false advertising and refund money to consumers.

This finger-pointing is total BS.  There are standards in place to insure that equipment from different manufacturers works together.  If any two pieces of equipment are not working together, they are either faulty or the mfg is not implementing the standard correctly.  It isn't good enough to say close enough (as in, close enough, I'm provding an AES signal and calling it a Spdif signal since I send that signal to a RCA connector), other companies should deal with it.  If you say you provide (or accept) an AES and/or a Spdif digital signal, then you are either doing it completely or you are providing false claims to the consumer.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline ShawnF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 03:09:45 PM »
I'm having the same issues with the Mytek 192 and the DR-100mkII (which has been frustrating since the Mytek has worked perfectly with my DR-680).  However, I have discovered that if the sampling rate on both units is set to 44.1, the SPDIF input will work (I had only tried 48 to start with, and had the same DIN Unlock error).  Further, I then tried changing the sampling rate on the Mytek back to 48, and then to 96.  Both of these signals were able to lock with the Tascam if kept the recorder set to 44.1.  I have NOT yet opened these files to see what's really going on with these mismatched settings, however, so I don't know yet if it's actually recording at 48 and 96, or is resampling, or what.  The display on the front of the Tascam continues to show 24/44.1.  I have put a call into Tascam about this and I may have more info tonight (and should have time to see what's really happening at the higher sampling rates).  Can anyone else confirm they are able to use SPDIF-in from the Mytek at 44.1?  Maybe there's some hope for it's use as a Mytek bit bucket yet . . .

stevetoney

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 03:22:07 PM »
Can anyone else confirm they are able to use SPDIF-in from the Mytek at 44.1?  Maybe there's some hope for it's use as a Mytek bit bucket yet . . .

Interesting.  I was able to get cross-talk between the DR100mkII and my mini-me at 24/44.1 from the AES/EBU connector.

Here's what I wrote in my detailed DR100mkII review...

I did do a test of the unit through the AES/EBU output of the mini-me and the unit locked in at the 24/44.1 setting.  Strangely, it would NOT lock on the mini-me AES/EBU output signal when the settings were 16/44.1, 16/48, or 24/48.  However, the manual says that this unit outputs SPDIF, so apparently this isn't going to be a unit for people that need to interface with AES/EBU connectors.

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Well, I can confirm that for me, at least, there is useable signal when the Mytek is at 48 or 96k and the Tascam is left at 44.1.  However, when played back as is, the sound is slow and low.  I used the "adjust sample rate" Adobe Audition 3.0 and it played back perfectly without altering the file.  Saved the file, and now it opens correctly as a 48 or 96 file and plays correctly.  Please note that this is not resampling, however.  I think the Tascam still writes the header information as though it were 44.1, but is recording a true 48 or 96 signal.  One just needs to rewrite the header information, apparently.  Not ideal, but manageable for now.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 03:37:11 PM »
There was another ADC/recorder combo that had this same problem (won't lock except at 44.1 and then it writes a bad header), I can't remember for the life of me what it was though.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 03:40:58 PM »
Does this possibly have anything do to with SCMS?

stevetoney

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »

That's a goddam four letter word Zack.   ;)

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »

Would seem unlikely to me, since this would still allow for digital copies of CDs . . .

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
At thier request, I sent my Mytek192 ADC and Tascam DR100 MKII to Mytek and they are trying to work out the problems. On first report they could not get anything to digitally synch up with the Tascam. I told them I had no problem with synching the SD USB Pre2 and that Steve had had sucess with his Mini me and the Tascam. That is all I know at this point. I think it was great that Mytek offered to try and figure out the problem, but am concerned that their initial attempts have them baffled. More to follow...

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member
Have them try to synch at 44.1 (if they haven't already)--this worked fine for me, as reported above.  And if they leave the Tascam at 44.1 and change the rate on the Mytek, see if the lock still holds (though it will be written with incorrect header information).  Would love to get this all squared away somehow . . .

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
Im having the same issues with my mytek and sony d50. I called mytek a handfull of times and it seems there's only one tech guy there that knows anything (mihow)

That's Michal Jurewicz. He founded/runs the company

kirk97132

At thier request, I sent my Mytek192 ADC and Tascam DR100 MKII to Mytek and they are trying to work out the problems. On first report they could not get anything to digitally synch up with the Tascam. I told them I had no problem with synching the SD USB Pre2 and that Steve had had sucess with his Mini me and the Tascam. That is all I know at this point. I think it was great that Mytek offered to try and figure out the problem, but am concerned that their initial attempts have them baffled. More to follow...

If it helps, Sound Devices found that the Tascam & Sony  (Dr-680 & D-50 respectively) only reads the header information not the actual digital stream.  They were the two deck SD used for testing which seems to have covered any other decks with the issue.  So I'd suspect that the solution is the Mytek will need to be able to output the digital information needed in the header.  For the  SD USBPre2 it was done easily with a patch that the consumer could install.  I have no idea about that type of thing with a Mytek.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse

If it helps, Sound Devices found that the Tascam & Sony  (Dr-680 & D-50 respectively) only reads the header information not the actual digital stream.  They were the two deck SD used for testing which seems to have covered any other decks with the issue.  So I'd suspect that the solution is the Mytek will need to be able to output the digital information needed in the header.  For the  SD USBPre2 it was done easily with a patch that the consumer could install.  I have no idea about that type of thing with a Mytek.
I have passed this info along to Mytek, Thanks Kirk!!

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member

My DR-680 works fine with the Mytek, though.  It's just the DR100 MKII that doesn't play nice with it, so there's something different about how those two decks "see" the signal/header information.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse

My DR-680 works fine with the Mytek, though.  It's just the DR100 MKII that doesn't play nice with it, so there's something different about how those two decks "see" the signal/header information.
As does my Tascam HD P2. I think perhaps some digital corners were cut by Tascam in order to bring a low cost deck that really is quite nice. It would be great though if Mytek can find a way to be compatable. Their ADC really sounds nice! Having a smaller bit bucket is nice in tight seats and small spaces.

kirk97132

Shawn are you using SPDIF or AES with the 680? 

Offline ShawnF

• Taperssection Member
I have used both successfully, with the appropriate setting enabled on the DR-680.  Normally I just use SPDIF, however.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
I just spoke to Michal at Mytek and he was very clear in explaining the issue withthe Mytek and Tascam not communicating digitally. They can get the units to talk at 44.1 as has been established, but the problem (being recollected by my amateur ears) is that they (Mytek) use chips that conform to the AES standard, and those chips come to them hard coded and cannot be altered. They spent time trying to find a method of conversion, but could not and they say it would require a firmware upgrade from Tascam.

I was really impressed with the time and effort they put in with my Tascam and Mytek and thay they incurred shipping costs on my behalf to look at the issue. I am not sure how easy or hard it will be to get the message across to Tascam for a firmware upgrade.

I know their are many of you out there who can probably expand upon my limited interpretation of what I learned from Michal at Mytek.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
I just spoke to Michal at Mytek and he was very clear in explaining the issue withthe Mytek and Tascam not communicating digitally. They can get the units to talk at 44.1 as has been established, but the problem (being recollected by my amateur ears) is that they (Mytek) use chips that conform to the AES standard, and those chips come to them hard coded and cannot be altered. They spent time trying to find a method of conversion, but could not and they say it would require a firmware upgrade from Tascam.

I was really impressed with the time and effort they put in with my Tascam and Mytek and thay they incurred shipping costs on my behalf to look at the issue. I am not sure how easy or hard it will be to get the message across to Tascam for a firmware upgrade.

I know their are many of you out there who can probably expand upon my limited interpretation of what I learned from Michal at Mytek.

That's too bad, though I'm not surprised. It is great that Mytek was willing to work with you and provide good service.

It does sound though that it is just what I expected -- the mytek only provides an AES output, and the output available on the RCA output is not really a spdif out as they market, but rather an AES format output on an RCA connector.

To me, this is an issue of Mytek -- they claim to provide a spdif out, and don't. Tascam claims their recorder has a spdif input, and it appears that it does. They don't claim to have an AES input, but Mytek is suggesting they make one through firmware.

Bottom line -- AES out only on the Mytek, spdif in only on the Tascam.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline sunflute

• Taperssection Regular
  • Peace
Here's some information that may be relevant to some people.

I've been trying to get the Tascam DR100mkii to lock to my Sound Devices 702 and also to a Forssell MADC-2 converter with no digital lock beyond 44.1k.
I called Tascam and they were not much help either (They said the tascam locks correctly with a number of outboard recorders they have in their shop and they said I should take it up with the manufacturers of my other outboard gear).

I then went deeper into the settings of the SD 702 and found a couple settings that allowed me to lock digitally at 96k

1- I changed the Digital Output mode on the SD702 from Professional to Consumer, then
2- I changed the Frequency from 96k to 96.096 in the SD702 and that allowed me to lock digitally to the Tascam with the 702.

Sooo, it seems the Tascam is clocked at 96.096 instead of plain 96K

Unfortunatelly the Forssell doesn't have those (varying frequency) options so in a sense the Tascam is useless to me as a bitbucket.  :(

Peace
Marco Granados
Sunflute

Offline sunflute

• Taperssection Regular
  • Peace
Ok, I can sort-of use the DR100mkii as a Bit Bucket....

The SD702 will lock to the Forssell's AES (96K) signal AND also
output Consumer level SPDIF 96.096k signal to which the DR100mkii will lock with.

So I can use the DR100mkii as a backup, but unfortunately I cannot get rid of the SD702
since it is the only recorder I have that locks to the Forrsell. I bought the DR100mkii thinking
I might not need the SD702, but I am now discovering how great a machine this recorder is.

Peace
Marco Granados
Sunflute

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
Ok, I can sort-of use the DR100mkii as a Bit Bucket....

The SD702 will lock to the Forssell's AES (96K) signal AND also
output Consumer level SPDIF 96.096k signal to which the DR100mkii will lock with.

So I can use the DR100mkii as a backup, but unfortunately I cannot get rid of the SD702
since it is the only recorder I have that locks to the Forrsell. I bought the DR100mkii thinking
I might not need the SD702, but I am now discovering how great a machine this recorder is.

Theres something screwy going on there... I thought the 7 series boxes didn't resample if they locked onto an incoming signal. I can see them changing from AES to a consumer level voltage on the digital out, but pushing out a different sample rate doesn't seem right.

Offline sunflute

• Taperssection Regular
  • Peace
Theres something screwy going on there... I thought the 7 series boxes didn't resample if they locked onto an incoming signal. I can see them changing from AES to a consumer level voltage on the digital out, but pushing out a different sample rate doesn't seem right.

Well, I set the sample rate on SD702 to 96.096, but it is still locking to the Forssell's signal. Maybe there's resampling of the input signal, which actually is no good because I don't want to change the signal being sent from the Forrsell. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Peace, Marco
Sunflute

Offline page

• #TeamRetired

Well, I set the sample rate on SD702 to 96.096, but it is still locking to the Forssell's signal. Maybe there's resampling of the input signal, which actually is no good because I don't want to change the signal being sent from the Forrsell. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Peace, Marco

a simple email to sound devices will explain whether it resamples or not (or a post on their forum).

Offline sunflute

• Taperssection Regular
  • Peace
I heard from Sound Devices and the sample rate that will be output is the AES signal the unit locks to, so this means the DR-100mkii is one weird, finicky unit when it comes to the Digital input. It locks to the SD702 by itself at 96.096 but when chained with Forrsell it locks to 96k, but will not lock to the Forssell's SPDIF directly. Anyways, I might just run a firewire disk off the SD702 as backup instead.

a simple email to sound devices will explain whether it resamples or not (or a post on their forum).
Sunflute

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
I heard from Sound Devices and the sample rate that will be output is the AES signal the unit locks to, so this means the DR-100mkii is one weird, finicky unit when it comes to the Digital input. It locks to the SD702 by itself at 96.096 but when chained with Forrsell it locks to 96k, but will not lock to the Forssell's SPDIF directly. Anyways, I might just run a firewire disk off the SD702 as backup instead.

I suspect due to header information that is being sent and other aes/spdif format differences.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Has anyone tried the Tascam Dr-100mkii with the SPDIF out from a V3 or a Benchmark AD2k? That is to say, does it lock with no problems?

anybody got the answer to this?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...

anybody got the answer to this?

Anyone used a Tascan dr100mkii with a mini-me?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
I don't think the dr100 will work with the minime - pretty sure I read this somewhere on tonedeaf's dr100 thread
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
I don't think the dr100 will work with the minime - pretty sure I read this somewhere on tonedeaf's dr100 thread

"As far as testing...I have a mini-me that I am using to test the digital input on the unit.  The mini-me has both AES/EBU and SPDIF outputs, so I first hooked up my mini-me through the digital SPDIF output.  The DR-100mkII locked in quickly at both 16bit and 24bit and at both 44.1 and 48khz sampling frequencies. "

No word on 24/96 though...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

stevetoney

The DR100MKii locks on the SPDIF signal, but not all of the AES/EBU modes.  If I remember correction, for AES/EBU for some reason it locks on 16/44.1, but not 16/48, 24/44.1 or 24/48.  I'm not sure about 24/96, but pretty sure it should be fine from SPDIF.

tomuo

Back a couple of pages, Todd R got it right.    We interpret the spec as strictly as we can, because it's a liability not to.
If we let a signal with a badly formatted header come into the A/D, it could turn out to have been a Dolby AC3 signal, which would render as full scale noise.  In a product where the user could be wearing headphones with the volume cranked up, we can't take the risk.
Even 48kHz /44.1kHz would produce sample slips which render as nasty clicks.  We don't want the audio to contain clicks that you might miss at first - that gives both of us a bad rep.
With professional gear such as the HD-P2, we can relax the limits a little because we expect pro users to always test first.

If mytek or someone can lend us one of their ADCs, we can investigate relaxing at most the "AES header, but unbalanced signal" restriction.

Tom (TASCAM).

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)

The DR100MKii locks on the SPDIF signal, but not all of the AES/EBU modes.  If I remember correction, for AES/EBU for some reason it locks on 16/44.1, but not 16/48, 24/44.1 or 24/48.  I'm not sure about 24/96, but pretty sure it should be fine from SPDIF.

I must have got this confused with AES tests - (not wanting to use the minime's SPDIF out as the jack is kinda white trash - I had a minime about 10-11 years ago so I know)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.176 seconds with 82 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com