Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Canon hv30 and rode stereo video mic,cant seem to get rec levels right  (Read 3297 times)

Offline pepper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Ok so ive had this mic and camera set up for a while,but to date not got anything nearly as good as some clips ive seen on youtube.I connect the mic to the cam,go to record/pause mode and navigate to the mic att.Now on the mic display it gives you the option to raise/lower mic input,so i push up the volume and obviously it raises the input of the external mic.Then sometime( by accident) i will push the lever up and it cuts of the sound( im monitoring through headphones) and then it springs into auto level mode...i think.Every time ive tried to record a gig with this et up it always sounds a bit rough,even though i try and keep the levels at a safe level,i wondered if anyone used the same mic/camera and could possibly shed some light on what im doing wrong.I use the 10- switch etc so really confused and i know this mic is capable of amazing audio.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:58:49 PM by pepper »

Offline Jerry Gash

• Taperssection Regular
Not sure what that problem would be.  I have a couple HV20's and a Rode Stereo mic.

I don't use it much for shows because it seems to get crushed by the the dB's no matter how low I turn it down.
(2) Canon HV20, Jag35Pro, Shrigg Rig, Rode SVM, Rode VM, Zoom H4N, Bogen 3052, Bogen 701HDV Head

Offline pepper

• Taperssection Regular
Thanks jerry,at least its not just me thats had less than great results.Also the mic on the hv30 isnt that bad,if the levels are set properly,but really wanted the rode to replace that,but maybe using the camera mic is the best way to go for now.

Offline Jerry Gash

• Taperssection Regular
I ended up buying a separate recorder along with a couple church audio mics from here and have had a lot better results with the audio.  Ya' just gotta re-mix the audio and video but it's not that big of deal.

(2) Canon HV20, Jag35Pro, Shrigg Rig, Rode SVM, Rode VM, Zoom H4N, Bogen 3052, Bogen 701HDV Head

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
I have like 2 HV30 and 2 HV40's so I really like the miniDV based video. I also use the Rode NTG-2 mics.  I would suggest getting a XLR input pre amp to use your mic especially for concerts.  The preamp in the camcorder is not that good, and also if you keep clicking the adjust button for volume you will pick up the tiny click for the adjustment. External type of XLR that can be screwed in to the Hv30 would be good. LIKe juicedlink or beachteck, something like that.  Those type of items help in handling SPL's.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com