Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video capture issues  (Read 6149 times)

Offline PhxHorn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Video capture issues
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
I had to replace my PC last December, and the older VHS video capture software was not compatible with Windows 7 32-bit that I'm now using.  The guy who made the PC ordered a video card that I could use to capture, but the software wasn't even compatible with Windows 7.  So I went to Fry's Electronics and bought a SIIG USB capture device, which came with software.  The Honestech software was kind of clunky, but it worked fine.  I'd capture using the proprietary software, and then edit in either Nero or Vegas.   Then I took a break for a few months, and now it won't work anymore.  It wouldn't even accept the key code that came with the product.   So I reinstalled it, and now it accepts its own key code, but nothing else changed.  It won't recognize the incoming signal from the VCR.   I'm really getting fed up with not being able to capture video from VHS.

It seems like it shouldn't be an issue.   The one suggestion I keep getting from people is "Check the drivers."  Well, I'm not exactly sure how to do that, and I don't really trust the software to give me an accurate answer.  But for years with the previous software, I never once had to do such a check.   WTF?  Can't the stupid thing just record a mpeg file and be done with it? 

I also have both Nero 4 and Sony Vegas Video HD Platinum 10.0, and neither one recognizes an incoming signal.  I get an error message from Nero saying  "SAA7130 Analog TV Card: unable to configure, no signal detected."  But the SIIG USB device DID function for awhile before the software quit working.  I really don't have a clue what to do to begin troubleshooting this.   But it seems like this shouldn't be difficult.  I've got a pile of VHS tapes I want to transfer, and I have no idea where to begin.   

I'd prefer not to use some clunky 3rd party software, so maybe if someone can recommend a capture product that will function with either Nero or Vegas and Windows 7, 32-bit, I can have that installed and be done with it.   

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: Video capture issues
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
I'd go with http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/

They have everything from PCIe cards (intensity pro, http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/models/) to a USB dongle, (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videorecorder/).

Both the Intensity Pro and Videorecorder will capture analog signals, with the intensity pro also giving you the ability to record HDMI (non-HDCP protected)

Quality, professional gear. The video production company I work for uses their gear.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline PhxHorn

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations.   Their USB connector looks just like the one I have, but I'm concerned that if I buy another one,  the computer won't recognize it.   How do I figure that out before buying another piece of equipment?   In other words, how do I know if I need to replace the video card as opposed to buying another piece of software?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »
I'll get into the drivers issue when I get home in front of my PC.

The main thing about Blackmagic for me is that as a company that makes gear for professionals, their tech support is much better.

As far as no signal detected, have you checked the output of the VCR and cable into a monitor directly? Verify that you are outputing signal up to the dongle. The dongle itself may have a bad input, or it may be software related. The fact that Nero sees the unit and can read it's USB information makes me think it may be a physical issue.

Offline PhxHorn

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
I hooked the VCR up to the TV and it works fine.    I think what Nero is referring to is the  "SAA7130 Analog TV Card" inside the PC, not the USB connector that I bought later and which worked for awhile.  I don't think the USB connector is being detected at all, not even by its own software (Honestech).   I hope I'm using the right terminology.   I know how to use video and audio editing software, but I don't know anything about opening up a PC or installing chips, etc.  But when I asked the builder of the PC for video capture capability, he installed this "SAA7130 Analog TV Card", which has RCA and other connectors coming out the back of the PC.  I think it's also designed to record off of cable TV, but it's got the RCA plugs for VHS input.  Not that it matters; that's the unit for which the software is incompatible with Windows 7 (after some research, I found that it's about 5 years old), and so I don't have anything hooked up to it.  I don't know if this "SAA7130 Analog TV Card" is just an interface that is in turn connected to another video card or chip inside the PC, or if I'm dead in the water until I have that thing completely replaced.

To summarize, the "SAA7130 Analog TV Card" is installed inside the PC, with plugs coming out the back.  Nero, Vegas, and Honestech all detect this thing, but cannot communicate with it or configure it.  I don't have the VCR connected to it, because the capture software won't function with Windows 7 and so I've uninstalled it.   As far as I can tell, it's worthless for the purpose of capturing video.

Back in February, after getting fed up with the SAA7130 Analog TV Card not working,  I bought and used an SIIG USB 2.0 capture device for a little while, but then it inexplicably quit working, too.   The software for this device has always been clunky, even when it was working.   Whether it's software or hardware issues, none of the video software even recognizes the fact that the SIIG USB capture device is plugged into the PC.   The PC does beep when I plug it in, so it does realize there is a connection.   But the Honestech software tries to give me a choice of which video input to use, and (I can't remember this for sure) I think that in the past I had to hit the dropdown menu and select the SIIG USB capture device as the input to use.   Now I don't have that choice:  the "SAA7130 Analog TV Card" is the only option, and as I mentioned, it's worthless.

Sorry for the newbie-sounding questions here.   For my last PC, bought in 2003, we just grabbed a video capture product off the shelf at the time of purchase and had them install it before we took it home.  It worked fine until the PC died in December 2011.  Since then, it's been a nightmare finding something that will work.   The thing is, I don't want to take the PC into the shop where it was built.   They sit on it for days, they haven't fixed it yet after two tries, and in any event I can't go without it for that long.   If I need to pay a consultant to come to my house, I'll do so.   But if there are some simple things I can check out to narrow it down, please let me know.  If you think it might be worth buying the Black Magic USB device and software first, I'll try it.   I appreciate your patience, but this has really been a thorn in my side for quite awhile.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:24:12 PM by PhxHorn »

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »
After asking here, I picked up a Canopus ADVC-55:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADVC-55-Analogue-to-DV-Converter/dp/B0013UU0PQ

You'll need a free firewire port and it costs significantly more than the USB dongle things but it's absolutely rock-solid. I think I got my secondhand one for about half the new price via Ebay.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »
Canopus gear is good too, but does require Firewire.

Blackmagic Design gear is definitely a cut above most usb dongle options. Good company, good technical support. Since it's a major player in pro video workflows, I'd also expect it to just work with your existing software.

Offline PhxHorn

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
I can offer one more bit of info:  Under device manager, the video card is listed as Intel(R) HD Graphics.  Status is listed as working properly.  I updated the driver and restarted.  No change. 

I don't have Firewire.  So, regarding the Black Magic USB product, it looks like it only works with Mac.  At least, that's the only one they list, along with iPhone, iPod, etc.   Will it work with PC?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 05:06:31 PM »
I can offer one more bit of info:  Under device manager, the video card is listed as Intel(R) HD Graphics.  Status is listed as working properly.  I updated the driver and restarted.  No change. 

I don't have Firewire.  So, regarding the Black Magic USB product, it looks like it only works with Mac.  At least, that's the only one they list, along with iPhone, iPod, etc.   Will it work with PC?

My bad, most Blackmagic products are for both Windows and Mac. The PCIe card is supported Windows 7, but the USB is Mac only.

Offline PhxHorn

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 07:06:39 PM »
Well, I went to Fry's and bought Dazzle, and I'll be darned if it's not capturing a VHS tape as I type.  Hard to believe two products in a row would take a dump like that, but I definitely appreciate the help here! 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com