Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Apogee AD1000 Relevance Today? Other Questions.  (Read 8061 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Apogee AD1000 Relevance Today? Other Questions.
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
I have an Apogee AD1000 from the old days.  In fact, so old I forgot what some of the cables are for.  Looks like one might be for AES and the other SPDIF.  Can someone identify the cables in the pics attached? 

How relevant is an AD1000 today given all the portables with 24/96 recording ability?  I'm not sure I even want to use this anymore, but if I did, does anyone still service these?  How could I power it today with the smaller new batteries like the Tekkeons?

A real beauty.  Not a mark on it anywhere.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
Re: Apogee AD1000 Relevance Today? Other Questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »
love the custom wood case!

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:25:07 PM »
The cable is the 15pin cable that provides 12V DC power on the XLR-4 and SPDIF COAX out

The unit pulls 1.5A at 12V with the Pre-Amp on and about 1A at 12V with it off  - you could run it off a newer Li-Ion battery like a BG-10-14-100 etc but you need to make sure it's running around 12v  - it does pull alot of juice though

The AD-1000 runs at upto 20bit 48Khz output and as Jon points out has very acceptable dynamic range - much better then the Sony PCM-M10 for example which is at 87dB

You will be very hard pressed to find anyone whom will touch this unit for repairs as Apogee has never release schematics and refuses to do so (from a well known Audio Repair company)

Also note that the item that fails most on these is the clock module which sets the sampling rate and drives the ADC - this is a custom Apogee sealed module that is "not user serviceable" and is not replaceable anymore - You can clock these from external sources though so all is not lost but this may complicate your setup

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 12:04:31 AM »
Funny story about this. Years ago i called up apogee about the ability to fix this unit , the guy put me on speaker phone and asked me to ask my question again , i did and i heard laughing. He then recommenced the mini me

Steve
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »
Former AD1000 owner here.

They sound great. They do draw lots of current and get very warm when used for long times. That heat seems to eventually result in the AD not working anymore and it is impossible to get it fixed if it dies. When mine died I bought a Mini-me and I was very happy with it for a while.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 03:51:51 AM »

They sound great. They do draw lots of current and get very warm when used for long times. That heat seems to eventually result in the AD not working anymore and it is impossible to get it fixed if it dies. When mine died I bought a Mini-me and I was very happy with it for a while.

Best grilled cheese samwich I ever scored in "da lot" after a show came off the surface of an AD-1000...  :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 04:11:16 AM »

Best grilled cheese samwich I ever scored in "da lot" after a show came off the surface of an AD-1000...  :)

You could grill those right in da section. Heady grilled cheese brah lil :)

Amazing ADC tho. The dankseeds were always Schoeps.v2 or sax.ad1k :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 04:38:38 PM »
The cable is the 15pin cable that provides 12V DC power on the XLR-4 and SPDIF COAX out

The unit pulls 1.5A at 12V with the Pre-Amp on and about 1A at 12V with it off  - you could run it off a newer Li-Ion battery like a BG-10-14-100 etc but you need to make sure it's running around 12v  - it does pull alot of juice though

The AD-1000 runs at upto 20bit 48Khz output and as Jon points out has very acceptable dynamic range - much better then the Sony PCM-M10 for example which is at 87dB

You will be very hard pressed to find anyone whom will touch this unit for repairs as Apogee has never release schematics and refuses to do so (from a well known Audio Repair company)

Also note that the item that fails most on these is the clock module which sets the sampling rate and drives the ADC - this is a custom Apogee sealed module that is "not user serviceable" and is not replaceable anymore - You can clock these from external sources though so all is not lost but this may complicate your setup

Just to add - Once the internal clock goes you cannot sync the AD1000 off an external source - the unit is basically bricked at that point.  I just recently tried this on a bad AD1000 and it would never lock to the external clock even though a working AD1000 would sync to the external clock  - I tried SPDIF and Toslink and neither would work.

It must just use the external clock to keep the internal one in check or sync... The external clock does not replace the internal just sync's it.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 02:38:21 PM »
love ours, even broke it out a few weeks ago to see how quickly it would lock on, fast.  shit, all of their A>Ds

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com