Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help choosing cheap mic pre-amp  (Read 4552 times)

Offline jaym1818

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
help choosing cheap mic pre-amp
« on: January 19, 2019, 04:35:32 PM »
Hello everyone, I did alot of taping in the late 90's early 00 and now that the kids are older i'm starting to get out to shows more often. I loved my octava mc012's that i sold after not using for a while, thinking of buying them again, sound great to me. I used a art dual mp back in the day. I'd like to find a portable pre-amp that I can run to either my tascam dr-07 or dr-05v2. I have very little knowledge of pre-amps and very little money to purchase one. Right now I have a set of csb mics with battery box that I run direct to my dr-07, but i've only done one show with them so far and I was fairly pleased, i know results can vary by room but listening to some shows i recorded with the octavas i really kinda want them again. Thanks for any tips, ideas and guidance.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:56:46 PM by jaym1818 »

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: help choosing cheap mic pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »
The Sound Design MP-2/Shure FP-24 is a great preamp that can be had for under $300 in the Yard Sale...just be aware they need attenuation pads (12-18db)...They run a bit hot...you can run from the Mini TRS out...if you want the sound of the lundal transformers I guess you would have to get attenuation for output XLR's to a handheld input too.

Cheaper...I'd consider just picking up a two channel all in one with XLR and Phantom power inputs built in first...Tascam DR-60DmkII used are cheap.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »
Are you sure that ART preamps are the kind of thing you would want today? Those are crude devices with a lot of distortion, and their system of two level controls--one before the tube, and one after it--make it hard to know in advance what kind of sound you'll get out of them at any given concert.

They have a "Studio MP" model that lets you see what levels you're sending in to the tube circuitry, for what that's worth; if I had to use their stuff, that's the model I'd choose. But I'm sure there are many cleaner-sounding alternatives--the M-Audio "Audio Buddy" comes to mind, for example.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »
If spending for a preamp, I might consider a lateral into something like a used DR-701D with preamps built in.  They sound really very good, and you might spend as much just adding a preamp to what you already have. 

Maybe not what you need, but shameless plug for the Oktava MK-012 figure 8 set I have in the yard sale.  Add another Oktava preamp body and you've got a mid-side rig.   Plenty of other good options out there for similar or less money, Line Audio mics, etc. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 11:55:20 PM »
But I'm sure there are many cleaner-sounding alternatives--the M-Audio "Audio Buddy" comes to mind, for example.
The Audio Buddy appears to require 9v AC input for power. Fine if you've got wall socket access, but not practical for most mobile recording setups. Heck of a budget deal though, if the form factor and such are compatible with your needs for this two-channel phantom-powerable preamp!?

https://m-audio.com/products/view/audio-buddy
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jaym1818

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:27:17 AM »
thanks everyone for the tips, few months until I can move on anything but thank you for the ideas I can look into

Offline jaym1818

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
The Sound Design MP-2/Shure FP-24 is a great preamp that can be had for under $300 in the Yard Sale...just be aware they need attenuation pads (12-18db)...They run a bit hot...you can run from the Mini TRS out...if you want the sound of the lundal transformers I guess you would have to get attenuation for output XLR's to a handheld input too.

Cheaper...I'd consider just picking up a two channel all in one with XLR and Phantom power inputs built in first...Tascam DR-60DmkII used are cheap.

I've watched a few 60d's on ebay and almost grabbed one. If I had one of those would I not need a pre-amp? I had a tascam da-p1 back in the day and I don't recall if i used that art dual mp all the time or just ran my oktavas direct to the da-p1. I was never able to get real high end or "real gear" as some might say, never had alot of money but always lived for live music and loved to tape anyway I could. Mostlly did acoustic junction, foxtrot zulu, jupiter coyote, everything, the samples, strangefolk, etc, so mostly smaller venues where I could bring my home cassette deck and have access to power when I was just starting out. Eventually got a d6, then a d8, and then boy was I feeling special when I got a da-p1!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 12:44:00 PM »
You can find some screaming deals on recorders that include preamps, so you won't need extrenal preamps, in the Yard Sale here fairly often.  Some of those recorders may be a generation or two behind the current flavor of the month, but don't let that dissuade you.  There are some "old" recorders with internal preamps that are of high enough quality that they won't be even close to the weakest link in your rig.  Also, an all-in-one recorder is incredibly convenient...less things to mess with, less things to power, less interconnects, less points of possible failure.

Edit: Here's one example: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186957.0  For $150 shipped you can get a Fostex FR-2LE which can provide phantom power for a pair of mics.  Note that I have no affiliation...just giving you an example.  Here's another example: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=189213.0  This gives you more channels in case you have mics and a soundboard feed, or if you want to add more mics.  Awesome value at $200 shipped.  Again, no affiliation.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:49:59 PM by heathen »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 02:34:42 AM »
OP if youre still in the market for a cheap pre i have a benchmark micman jr, it runs on 9Vs and has phantom
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com