Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tinybox battery life (over the life of the product)....  (Read 30214 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Tinybox battery life (over the life of the product)....
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2016, 04:35:47 PM »
If I remember correctly Jon didn't use the connector that comes with the battery so I think you would need to get a bare wire battery and solder it into your existing connector. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2016, 01:48:14 PM »
Jon announced a new forum on his website one of them is about battery life in the "box" series see this thread:
http://naiant.com/naiant-forums/microphone-amplifiers/discontinued-box-series-amplifiers-battery-replacement/#p3
On November 14, he states:

The box series amplifiers were in production from 2009-2014. Those that shipped with internal rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are all near or at battery end-of-life.

Because shipping regulations have gotten more strict since these devices were produced, it is no longer legal to ship the lithium-ion batteries used. Therefore, I do not offer lithium-ion battery replacement. All box series amplifiers can be converted to run on NiMH battery packs instead, as follows:

littlebox/midbox/bigbox: A 6x 2/3 AA NiMH battery pack is a drop-in replacement for most littleboxes that previously had a lithium-ion pack. There is no circuit reconfiguration required. Some littleboxes with input or output transformers in the standard case size might not have sufficient internal room for the NiMH pack, which is slightly larger. The NiMH pack with mating connector is $20.

tinybox & tinyhead: any tinybox version can be reconfigured to use a 5x AAA NiMH pack. The cost of conversion (including new battery) is $50; a new battery pack is $20. The charger originally shipped with the tinybox must continue to be used with the NiMH pack.

PIPsqueak: all PIPsqueaks use a 4x 1/3 NiMH AA battery pack. A replacement pack including connector is $20. I have found that 1/3 NiMH AA batteries have variable initial charge capacity, which can cause premature pack death when the weak cell dies. Thus, I test each battery individually before I assemble the packs.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:53:05 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
Yeah my TB battery is pretty much at that point (and built toward the end of the run)...  Though it apparently isn't supposed to work this way (Jon indicated it wouldn't) I'd discovered if I plug it into a power outlet it supplies power (indefinitely of course), so an extension cord now travels with the rest of my gear.  That is working until I will have enough downtime to send it back for replacement...  If I use it 007 the battery is still more than adequate for the SP's.  It seems to be down to about 2 hours of phantom power though and still dropping... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
The Li-ions originally used can't be shipped without a hazmat contract.  You can buy them here, but the seller adds a $28.50 charge per box for the hazmat service:

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1443074v600mah444whbatterymodulesidebysidewithprotectioniclc14430s2r1wr.aspx

Thank you Jon, that was the information I was looking for :-)
I will think about whether I will get a new Li-ion battery or have you replace it with NiMH. Would you think my Li-ion battery is getting near its end? Bought late 2011, used maybe 30 times a year, charged mostly every time...
-c

This link for the TB battery is for a Li-Ion 14430 Battery: 7.4V 700mah.
 I just opened my TB & it's a 6V 800mAh battery!? Will this still work or kill my TB? I did not see the battery I have listed for sale.
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 11:53:27 AM »
Took my v1.5 Tinybox out last night to see if there is any life in the battery. The battery has never been replaced and I purchased the pre in the YS in 2012. I charged it up for about 90 minutes, got the green light to come on the charger, and ran a test overnight to see what would happen. I woke up this morning and about 10 hours into the test the batt light was still green and i was getting decent levels on my recorder. I'm going to tempt fate and bring the TB with me to NOLA Jazz Fest tomorrow. I'm sure I'm playing with fire but hoping I can get a few more shows out of the battery and then I really need to get a new one installed.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 11:48:27 PM »
need to replace my TB and LB nimh's before red rocks july 4, hoping jon comes thru i know hes busy and moving

failing that i can buy the batteries myself, does anybody have the parts for the keyed 2-position molex connectors ( Molex 22-01-2025 and its pins are Molex 08-50-0032) laying around? if i dont hear from jon or anybody else by monday ill order thru digikey

hopefully jon comes thru so i dont have to spend any more time than necessary, i wanna plug and play, im lazy in my old age ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:55:49 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 12:11:53 AM »
I would be curious if I am the only one who got a Little Box configured as a Big Box to run of AA batteries.
At the time i was thinking in the future and didnt want to deal with changing out the packs when it came to end of life. Glad i made that choice.

Steve
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2018, 08:11:20 AM »
I would be curious if I am the only one who got a Little Box configured as a Big Box to run of AA batteries.
At the time i was thinking in the future and didnt want to deal with changing out the packs when it came to end of life. Glad i made that choice.

Steve
my LB has 9v and RC battery cable
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 03:53:33 PM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:12:06 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com