Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 123572 times)

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »
So it looks like you use a single IPA with a KCY (? of is that a "Nbob" cable?) cable to power two MK caps.  I see there is a 1/8" cable plugged in on the end that the KCY cable plugs into the IPA, and is that the XLR output on the other end?  It looks like nothing is plugged in on that end in the pic. 

That's an NBob cable, but I see no reason why KCY would work any different if you order the KCY version of the IPA. And yes, you don't need to use the XLR output at all. You can just use the 3.5mm output to feed a portable recorder like the M10. I have yet to run this setup in the field, though (just got the IPA in the mail yesterday).

Are your NBOB cables terminated to mini xlr?
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
Are your NBOB cables terminated to mini xlr?

Yeah, I originally had them made for use with my tinybox.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2016, 12:43:53 PM »
Was going to grab a second PFA but this thing is more versatile, can run into an m10 or 1/8 into a 661 great for  >:D
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2016, 03:10:12 AM »
It does not provide phantom power, but it's capable of powering active mic capsules directly.

Battery replacement is easy. You open the IPA using two thumb screws. It looks like this when opened:

As you can see, the battery clip is right there.

Nice!  I didn't realize you didn't need phantom power, that's great.  Thanks for the pic.  Looks nice and compact, although I do prefer the Tinybox form factor.  I suppose the IPA would be better for stealthing since it is so thin and compact, and could be an easy backup to a Tinybox as well.  Would be good to have both.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »
It does not provide phantom power, but it's capable of powering active mic capsules directly.

Battery replacement is easy. You open the IPA using two thumb screws. It looks like this when opened:

As you can see, the battery clip is right there.

Nice!  I didn't realize you didn't need phantom power, that's great.  Thanks for the pic.  Looks nice and compact, although I do prefer the Tinybox form factor.  I suppose the IPA would be better for stealthing since it is so thin and compact, and could be an easy backup to a Tinybox as well.  Would be good to have both.
yeah tb was killer IMO because it covered all bases, pip/48/actives plus it's size and battery life.
This looks cool if you have a y cable that it supports otherwise having two seems like it could be more challenging and of course leaves the door open for more errors
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2016, 03:48:30 PM »
I suppose the IPA would be better for stealthing since it is so thin and compact, and could be an easy backup to a Tinybox as well.  Would be good to have both.

I haven't stealthed with the IPA, yet. But judging from my first impressions, I think I also prefer the tinybox form factor for stealth because it seems to be slightly better pocketable. That being said, IPA should do the job as well. It's still damn small, just not as tiny as tb. ;-)

I mainly got it to have a backup for my tinybox (whose batteries are rather old) and as an alternative with exchangeable batteries (e.g. for festivals where I can't recharge tinybox).

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2016, 03:35:41 AM »
Nice!  I didn't realize you didn't need phantom power, that's great.  Thanks for the pic.  Looks nice and compact, although I do prefer the Tinybox form factor.

Someone needs to start making a Tinybox knockoff!  Or maybe Jon could sell his designs or license them out to some intrepid taper/entrepreneur?  :P

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2016, 03:37:56 AM »
I haven't stealthed with the IPA, yet. But judging from my first impressions, I think I also prefer the tinybox form factor for stealth because it seems to be slightly better pocketable. That being said, IPA should do the job as well. It's still damn small, just not as tiny as tb. ;-)

I mainly got it to have a backup for my tinybox (whose batteries are rather old) and as an alternative with exchangeable batteries (e.g. for festivals where I can't recharge tinybox).

That's what I would do with it too, use it as a back up for a tinybox or maybe as a stealth option as it seems slightly smaller, especially if you chopped off the XLR output end.  Of course, I don't even own any mics...

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2016, 08:30:32 PM »
I just ordered an IPA for my schleps caps and nbob kcy, looking forward to playing with it. I was gonna pick up a backup PFA anyway but figured the IPA is more versatile in that I can run either my 661 with it phantom on or off, or my M10. And it's pretty freaking tiny.  >:D

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2016, 06:14:50 AM »
I just ordered an IPA for my schleps caps and nbob kcy, looking forward to playing with it. I was gonna pick up a backup PFA anyway but figured the IPA is more versatile in that I can run either my 661 with it phantom on or off, or my M10. And it's pretty freaking tiny.  >:D

Noyce 8) Snap some pics when you get it please? I don't think Ive seen an IPA/Schoeps setup yet!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »

Noyce 8) Snap some pics when you get it please? I don't think Ive seen an IPA/Schoeps setup yet!

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176836.msg2193994#msg2193994
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »

Will do.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 12:13:01 PM »
There is a pic of the schoeps setup on page 2 of this thread!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »
Bean did you mean nbob/IPA?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »
Same difference!!  I think it only powers KCY version of the Nbobs. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com