Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Milab VM-44 Link > Naiant IPA(s)?  (Read 17323 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Milab VM-44 Link > Naiant IPA(s)?
« on: September 07, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »
Anyone running this configuration?  Milab VM-44 Link (cardioid or omnis) > Naiant IPA(s) > recorder?

I don't see it on the Naiant website as explicitly supported, but wondering if anyone has leveraged one of the other supported configurations that also may happen to work with the Milabs.

I've pinged Jon via email, but thought I'd check in here, as well, to see if anyone has tried this option.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 10:42:04 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Milab VM-44 Link > Naiant IPA(s)?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 03:41:06 PM »
Early on in the IPA info release I asked about this...IIRC...The IPA will support the Milab MV-44 Links. If you desire a balanced connection to the capsules it will require TWO (2) IPA units. MBHO's are the same...this was explained in the orginal IPA announcement thread that appears to be deleted.

I see "IPA's" in your sig line...are you using one for each MBHO? That was the case in order to run my Milab's balanced...

Yes I have one for each microphone and a Y cable XLR to stereo mini to run into my M10.

I'll try to post some pictures soon.

Here is my IPA setup

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »
Thanks, Hypno.  From my emails with Jon, sounds like the VM-44 Links are supported.  Jon and I are in email discussions about what I want to do and what I'll need, exactly, to accomplish my goals (if it's even possible, since I'm pursuing a somewhat unusual option).
Roland R-05

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
Would be very cool to see a VM-44 Link > IPA rig in action. 

Thinking aloud here, I wouldn't be surprised if you could also wire up a set of VM-44 Links to run off the PFAs (with a recorder's P48) as hi and lo did with these Neumann capsules and cables. > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178035.0

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »

Thinking aloud here, I wouldn't be surprised if you could also wire up a set of VM-44 Links to run off the PFAs (with a recorder's P48) as hi and lo did with these Neumann capsules and cables. > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178035.0

^
Naiant is constructing a PFA to power my VM-44 Links using P48 as we speak.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:20:29 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »

^

oh  that is good new indeed!  please report back in the team Milab thread.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »

^

I received the Naiant PFA and I will test it once I receive the techflexed, 5 pin mini-xlr, VM-44 link cables back...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
(Also crossposted at Team Naiant)

I received a pair of PFA's from Jon to run my VM-44 Links a few weeks ago.  I haven't run these in the field yet but I did test them by recording my home stereo and everything appeared to work as intended! 

I also had darktrain techflex a pair of my VM-44 Link cables, remove the binder connectors that Milab uses with the Links and replace them with two, 5 pin mini-xlr's.  The two PFA's from Jon also use 5 pin mini-xlr connectors.  Everything appears to have worked as intended with my home stereo recording.  Once I actually have the opportunity to run these in the field I will post a link.  Darktrain also constructed a pair of 3' adapter cables that will allow me to use my VM-44 Link cables with the original Milab bodies should I desire to do so.

Many thanks to Jon & Darktrain!!

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 02:45:47 PM »
Sounds great! Having Milabs myself. Would love to see some pictures of the complete setup.  :coolguy:

Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 08:26:29 PM »
(Also crossposted at Team Naiant)

I received a pair of PFA's from Jon to run my VM-44 Links a few weeks ago.  I haven't run these in the field yet but I did test them by recording my home stereo and everything appeared to work as intended! 

I also had darktrain techflex a pair of my VM-44 Link cables, remove the binder connectors that Milab uses with the Links and replace them with two, 5 pin mini-xlr's.  The two PFA's from Jon also use 5 pin mini-xlr connectors.  Everything appears to have worked as intended with my home stereo recording.  Once I actually have the opportunity to run these in the field I will post a link.  Darktrain also constructed a pair of 3' adapter cables that will allow me to use my VM-44 Link cables with the original Milab bodies should I desire to do so.

Sounds like a nice alternative... please let us know your thoughts after you test in the field.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 03:49:43 AM »
Do I hate the Milab plastic Binder...after almost $500 to repair and lengthen the cables most certainly...essentially replacing the body with mini XLRs to PFA makes the setup more compact for sure...

Get them out soon so we can hear them...

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 03:39:49 PM »
Were the original VM-44 link cables modified and used in this application...or were new cables used?  Considering pulling the trigger on a pair of Classics, but would like to have a set off active PFA cables built for lower profile application.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 05:52:18 PM »
I believe dactylus modified his set...

...I also had darktrain techflex a pair of my VM-44 Link cables, remove the binder connectors that Milab uses with the Links and replace them with two, 5 pin mini-xlr's.  The two PFA's from Jon also use 5 pin mini-xlr connectors.  Everything appears to have worked as intended with my home stereo recording.  Once I actually have the opportunity to run these in the field I will post a link.  Darktrain also constructed a pair of 3' adapter cables that will allow me to use my VM-44 Link cables with the original Milab bodies should I desire to do so.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 07:23:56 PM »
Waltmon -- The VM44 Classic would get you the caps + the bodies, but you'd still need the Milab "active cables" (I refer to them as the Links cables) to run the caps without the bodies.  In other words, there has to be something to connect the VM-44 caps to the PFAs.  I don't know if the Links cables are available outside of a set of VM-44 Links (at least I don't see them on the Milab website), and I'm not familiar with any 3rd party knockoffs (like some of the Schoeps or AKG options that are available).

The Links are similar to the Schoeps KC cables...

...except the mic body side of the cable (left in the above picture) is integral to the mic bodies and cannot be removed from the mic body.*  The cap side of the Links, like the KC (right in the above pic), provides the connection point for the caps.

* The Schoeps system is completely modular.  You can run the mic bodies + caps with or without the "active" cables in between.  In the Milab world, since the mic body side of the Links are integrated with the mic body, you must always run the Links cables between body and caps, and cannot put the caps directly onto the mic bodies without the Links.
Roland R-05

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 08:18:18 PM »
Were the original VM-44 link cables modified and used in this application...or were new cables used?  Considering pulling the trigger on a pair of Classics, but would like to have a set off active PFA cables built for lower profile application.

I have purchased link cables from Milab before when I wanted a 5 meter set. Those could then be modified for PFA's. I don't remember the exact cost but recall them being in the $175 range for each cable. Maybe I can search and find my old email receipt. I know they now accept paypal for payment on parts. Mattias is the person to talk to there.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »
Great to hear, Matt.  And at a quite reasonable price (relatively speaking)!
Roland R-05

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 05:55:00 AM »
When I send my set back for 4 meter cables and checkup....Milab billed close to $500...If replacement cables with Colette Is only $175 each wish I had gone that route...

:zombie03:

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 06:17:52 AM »

An original set of VM-44 link cables were modified.  I'm having a second set of Milab active cables modified for PFA use too.  The pair of active cables that I purchased through Mattias were around $175 each ($350 for the pair).  Plus there is a shipping charge and I think there was a "customs duty charge" too.  I am extremely happy with my PFA setup for the 44-Links!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:21:29 AM by dactylus »

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 01:39:40 AM »
checking in, i want these too.
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline ninjadave

• Taperssection Regular
  • Timing and cash flow...
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »
didn't want to start a new topic, appears my question is covered here but wanted to be sure.

i have the Milab VM-44 links and run them with the big bodies and interconnects into a PMD661. I've been doing this since 2012 and i always stealth these, and its becoming a nightmare with metal detectors, etc. the footprint is too big now. 

i would first like to get away from the PMD661 and it appears the IPA will let me do this (power the mics). i think this will be a better rig for stealthing, replacing the bodies with IPAs and running that into a M10 which i currently own which has little or no use on it.  this would shrink my footprint substantially, the interconnects I have are also cumbersome.

can i do this?

milab mic caps>original cables>ipa (2 of them?)> m10.

this would have me ditching the milab bodies, the interconnects and the PMD661 size....

i've also seen here that i guess i could have the cables modded to mini xlr and that would be a sturdier plug, ya, that milab 5pin plug on the mic cable seems really flimsy but i've no issues yet....should i leave the connections alone? how much to switch? i know i'll never need to go back to the bodies but if someone else did (i sold the mics, etc), then what?

thanks for any help, i was gonna email Jon but thought I'd check with the pros here first.
thanks again.

ninjadave.

Mics = Milab VM-44 Links [c] ~ AT853 [c,o] 
Preamp/BB = Naiant IPA (v1) ~ CA-UGLY [+20db]
Recorders = Marantz PMD661 (Oade CM) ~ Sony PCM-A10
Playback = Sony MDR-7506 ~ Rokit 5's

http://ninjasroio.tripod.com/mainpage.html  [needs updated badly]

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »
You should be able to run one IPA!!  It will provide power for both VM-44 link caps.   Even smaller foot print. 

didn't want to start a new topic, appears my question is covered here but wanted to be sure.

i have the Milab VM-44 links and run them with the big bodies and interconnects into a PMD661. I've been doing this since 2012 and i always stealth these, and its becoming a nightmare with metal detectors, etc. the footprint is too big now. 

i would first like to get away from the PMD661 and it appears the IPA will let me do this (power the mics). i think this will be a better rig for stealthing, replacing the bodies with IPAs and running that into a M10 which i currently own which has little or no use on it.  this would shrink my footprint substantially, the interconnects I have are also cumbersome.

can i do this?

this would have me ditching the milab bodies, the interconnects and the PMD661 size....

i've also seen here that i guess i could have the cables modded to mini xlr and that would be a sturdier plug, ya, that milab 5pin plug on the mic cable seems really flimsy but i've no issues yet....should i leave the connections alone? how much to switch? i know i'll never need to go back to the bodies but if someone else did (i sold the mics, etc), then what?

thanks for any help, i was gonna email Jon but thought I'd check with the pros here first.
thanks again.

ninjadave.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »

John did you ever run a pair of VM-44 Links using a single IPA?  I've been doing the same thing in stealth situations that ninjadave mentioned for many years too (Milab VM-44 links and run them with the big bodies and interconnects into an Oade modded PMD661).  I've made some extremely nice recordings using this setup but it is becoming increasingly nerve wracking walking this rig into the door.  A single IPA and an M-10 would be a breeze compared to my current VM-44 Link 007 rig.

You should be able to run one IPA!!  It will provide power for both VM-44 link caps.   Even smaller foot print. 

can i do this?

thanks again.

ninjadave.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »
I haven't, but I think Brian runs that setup!

John did you ever run a pair of VM-44 Links using a single IPA?  I've been doing the same thing in stealth situations that ninjadave mentioned for many years too (Milab VM-44 links and run them with the big bodies and interconnects into an Oade modded PMD661).  I've made some extremely nice recordings using this setup but it is becoming increasingly nerve wracking walking this rig into the door.  A single IPA and an M-10 would be a breeze compared to my current VM-44 Link 007 rig.

can i do this?

thanks again.

ninjadave.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2018, 12:08:34 PM »
^
Thanks

Offline ninjadave

• Taperssection Regular
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 11:42:09 PM »
I finally did get my single IPA from John (wish the v2 was out when i did that but oh well, would have liked the rechargeable battery).
It runs the Milab VM-44 Links very nicely without the bodies into an M-10. but only for about 4-5 hours on one new A23.  :'(
I did not modify my cables (10 feet) on the mics (thinking about doing that now).
Jon made me a cable with female Milab binder connectors (or male, i can't remember which is which) to mate with IPA.

so the original mic connectors mate with the 1 foot extension cable separately (two binder connectors) which then combine into one 5pin plug that mates with the IPA.
out of the IPA is a simple 3.5mm plug into the Line in or mic in on the M-10. running line in right now with gain setting options on the IPA of 0/+9/+18.

much easier to stealth this. no bodies, no interconnect cables and NO Marantz PMD 661. i loved my mics>bodies>cable>PMD661 but all that shit was a pain when they had walk throughs. i could beat the wands easy with all that...i've beat the walk thrus too but more nerve wracking.

i've run the new setup mics>cable>IPA>cable>M-10 twice, both times didn't use any gain, line in and i should know better from my days running AT933 line with Preamp or BB but oh well. i know now, needs at least the +9db or +18db setting depending on location. the sound is very similar to the PMD661 setup so i'm gonna stick with this for sure.

will have some gear for sale shortly paring down but still keeping my PMD661 for now. want the new Sony A-10 also.....

rock on folks.
ninjadave.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:34:37 PM by ninjadave »

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 01:12:04 AM »
Congrats Ninjadave! Keep us posted with some sample.

can you submit some pictures?

Offline ninjadave

• Taperssection Regular
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 10:47:59 PM »
Here is a link to a pic of the setup with the IPA into the M10. The interconnect cable is i think 3 feet and i only needed 1 foot at most so that was a miscalculation. happy overall though.

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fphotos.app.goo.gl%2Fo7Ko9NzX4TopU82H9&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cc05e25d700014fe9190d08d6ec8493c5%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636956451486062116&sdata=9u6PF5mq%2FTrRT8ya66TBLKWmYhqFylYiMi1Te1i0nyI%3D&reserved=0

Here is a sample of the Brit Floyd show, this one indicates to me that the mics operate pretty close to my other setup (PMD661) as this sounds nearly as good or as good based upon past tapes of this band (I think with proper gain etc, it would be no doubt the same). I had to boost signal in post by a lot due to low volume and the noise is still pretty minimal on this sample - no EQ.

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2F1drv.ms%2Fu%2Fs!AuvLffsj1KeujIpo7Aa_ErcDtBQ3Gg&data=02%7C01%7C%7C325ff49d14d14a81cccd08d6ec8a494c%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636956476006790372&sdata=iwJSOf%2Fch%2BN8C9EIINwDQK0LQz9bzKAAdXo5UWoUqtE%3D&reserved=0
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 08:39:31 PM by ninjadave »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 51 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com