Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The new Nbox: Platinum ABS  (Read 17891 times)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: The new Nbox: Platinum ABS
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »
Didn't want to start a new thread for this question.

Should I expect any issue bringing my baby nbox through security at the airport? I'm not sure that I can demonstrate how it works as there are no outward signs of operation.

I've never had a problem, but they may pull it aside and swab it.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 01:10:56 PM »
 8)we'd
Didn't want to start a new thread for this question.

Should I expect any issue bringing my baby nbox through security at the airport? I'm not sure that I can demonstrate how it works as there are no outward signs of operation.

I've never had a problem, but they may pull it aside and swab it.
Yep, always give mine a swab.  And me too as I look shady!!
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 10:39:13 AM »
Went to a heavy metal show last night planning to record with Schoeps MK41s > Nbox Platinum > A10.  Normally, my baseline input level on the A10 is 4 when I record with the Platinum Nbox.  That was way too high though; so I started turning it down.  But even with the input on the A10 set at 1, the audio was clipping.  I noticed this during the opening band.  For the main act (the band I really wanted to record), I switched over to the Baby Nbox and set the input at 3, and got a nice pull.  Normally, I start off with an input level of 12 when using the Baby Nbox.  Also worth noting - I was probably 15 meters or so from the stacks, so I don't think proximity to the stacks was why the A10 was overloading when I was running my mics through the Platinum Nbox.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 06:57:44 PM »
Went to a heavy metal show last night planning to record with Schoeps MK41s > Nbox Platinum > A10.  Normally, my baseline input level on the A10 is 4 when I record with the Platinum Nbox.  That was way too high though; so I started turning it down.  But even with the input on the A10 set at 1, the audio was clipping.  I noticed this during the opening band.  For the main act (the band I really wanted to record), I switched over to the Baby Nbox and set the input at 3, and got a nice pull.  Normally, I start off with an input level of 12 when using the Baby Nbox.  Also worth noting - I was probably 15 meters or so from the stacks, so I don't think proximity to the stacks was why the A10 was overloading when I was running my mics through the Platinum Nbox.

Are you sure the A10 was set for AUDIO IN and not accidentally MIC IN?

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 08:56:28 PM »

+1

Offline guitard

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 09:29:37 AM »

Well fuck me!!

I've always had it set as audio in; so for (at least) the last several months, that's been my de facto default setting at start up.  So I haven't been going into the menu and checking that setting ... until just now.  And as you suspected - it was set on mic in.

Many thanks for the tip!  I have a show tonight that I most definitely will be recording with audio in 8).

Edit to add:  in spite of that fuck up, I did still manage to get a very nice recording.  Probably mostly due to my rig.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 10:33:32 AM »

Did the opposite recently. Plugged my baby-N into line in on M-10 instead of mic in. Low levels but still a nice recording...

Well fuck me!!

I've always had it set as audio in; so for (at least) the last several months, that's been my de facto default setting at start up.  So I haven't been going into the menu and checking that setting ... until just now.  And as you suspected - it was set on mic in.

Many thanks for the tip!  I have a show tonight that I most definitely will be recording with audio in 8).

Edit to add:  in spite of that fuck up, I did still manage to get a very nice recording.  Probably mostly due to my rig.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 11:00:50 AM »

for the win, same thing happened to me this year.
Luck fellow taper Greg saved me.

Anyway, lots of early posts about passing a metal detector and hopes it would.
Has anyone tried and confirm experiences?
With more and more venues here going to walk through, followed by wand curious what will and will not pass.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline guitard

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 12:01:01 PM »
Anyway, lots of early posts about passing a metal detector and hopes it would.
Has anyone tried and confirm experiences?
With more and more venues here going to walk through, followed by wand curious what will and will not pass.

I responded via PM.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 01:54:57 PM »
With the baby nbox, I've always gone audio in on A-10 for lo-pro. Mic in from the section, of course
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 03:19:45 PM »

We are all making mistakes after being on the bench for ages.  Hopefully you solved this one.
Well fuck me!!

Offline guitard

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2022, 09:01:32 AM »
This is probably as good a place as any to ask this ~

I've had this happen a few times while running MK41s > Platinum NBox > Sony A10.  I'm at a loud show near the stage and even with the Platinum Nbox dialed down to an input level of 1 or 2, it's still too hot for the A10.  However, in the same situation, the Baby Nbox - dialed down to 4-5 - can handle it.  Is it just me and my gear, or does this sound about right?

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2022, 11:05:18 AM »
This is probably as good a place as any to ask this ~

I've had this happen a few times while running MK41s > Platinum NBox > Sony A10.  I'm at a loud show near the stage and even with the Platinum Nbox dialed down to an input level of 1 or 2, it's still too hot for the A10.  However, in the same situation, the Baby Nbox - dialed down to 4-5 - can handle it.  Is it just me and my gear, or does this sound about right?

The Nbox supplies gain - it's a preamp - I think it's 18dB maybe 20db. The babyNbox just supplies power to the mics no gain at all. So that jives with your experience.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Online yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2022, 03:20:00 PM »
I am not familiar with Nbox Platinum structure..  but am familiar with Nbox+..  that is a fixed +20db/preamp.
Baby Nbox is a battery box with no gain.
As goodcooker said.

A10 must have slightly hot input.
When I ran Nbox+, I also had -12db attenuation cables out of Nbox that I used on occasion.

Is this all on the line input?

When this happens in real life, about the only thing that you can do is either angle your capsules wider, muffle them somewhat, or lower them.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com