Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small All-In-One Recorder for Motorcycle  (Read 3294 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Small All-In-One Recorder for Motorcycle
« on: April 22, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
It's been a while since I've been around these parts. Not taping as heavily as I once did, but still do occasionally run my still-trusty rig of AKG480 > R44.

However, I came back for some advice. I'm been recording a lot of my motorcycle rides via GoPro lately, and as an audiofile, the sound and wind noise just ain't cutting it. I've got experience with audio recording and manual syncing, so figured lets roll some independent audio for kicks! I couldn't bear risking my good deck and mics with all the vibrations, etc., so I ran a test using my old stealth rig. Results were great, but my little deck died, and I'd rather not have the clunky AT > 9100 > DR setup for this application either.

But I'm completely out of touch with what's out there nowadays. My #1 requirement is high SPL handling because motorcycle! LOL. I could care less about audio quality and noise floor because after all I, I'm recording a muffler, lmao, and my comparison is to heinous GoPro wind noise, literally anything would be better. I'm also looking for an all-in-one unit with built in mics that's small form factor, preferably with omnis given the jostling and wind (note it'll be stashed and in fur probably). Cards might be ok if the unit has everything else going for it. Lowish cost might also be good given limited application and tough environment of vibes.

Any thoughts on my somewhat crazy project?

P.S. it's not my primary concern, but it'd be a bonus if it had line in with a semi decent DAC so it could also become part of my stealth rig. I just don't stealth enough now for that to be a primary motivator for me.

P.S.S. For those wondering about my setup and workflow... I use a chin mount Hero Session. I'm not interested in wiring a mic to the GoPro because it's clunky, their adapter sucks, I have no interest in motovlogging or talking into the mic, I don't want wires into my helmet, and it's still hard to get good exhaust sound that way. Rolling a separate deck, I simply do a hand clap on camera that can be heard by the deck at the start and end of the ride. I then drop all the GoPro segments to the timeline, drop in the audio, line up the first hand clap at the start, then stretch audio until it lines up with the hand clap at the end. Takes all of two mins and results in perfect sync for the whole ride.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:51:03 AM by BayTaynt3d »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Small All-In-One Recorder for Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:10:52 AM »
A Tascam DR-05 should do the job for you.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »
A Tascam DR-05 should do the job for you.

I'm coming off a DR7 that I hated in general, but more importantly for this application, just completely brick-walled the internal mics.

At first I thought it might just be too high of an SPL environment, but with the AT omnis into the 9100, I didn't brick wall from being inside my tail bag right next to the exhaust. So, I was hoping to find an all in one that could handle the sound levels.

Is the DR5 better on that front? Or is maybe an all in one a pipe dream for these volumes?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
I've never had a DR-07, but I've recorded loud music with the DR-05 without any problems.

I think the DR-07 has cardioid mics while the DR-05 has omnis.

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
I've never had a DR-07, but I've recorded loud music with the DR-05 without any problems.

I think the DR-07 has cardioid mics while the DR-05 has omnis.

Thanks. Just looked it up, says it handles 125dB SPL. That's a good sign, I couldn't find the spec for the older 7, but through experience, not a chance in hell it could've handled 125.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 09:50:16 PM »
This thing looked perfect in the surface, and although for my primary application I don't need line in, it'd be great if it could also replace my stealth recorder too.

Does the DR 05 not have LINE IN? That's nuts if true. Anyone around here running line in on this thing?

I still think I'm going to buy one because it's cheap and has Omnis however...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com