Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External Preamps - you in or out nowadays?  (Read 38647 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
External Preamps - you in or out nowadays?
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »

With all in one recorders getting better and better preamp topology built in for the purchase price I wonder how many people are still using external preamps like we were all doing 10 years ago. I had a Busman modded R4 around 2008 -2009 and I didn't use my V3 at all so I ended up selling it after it sat on the shelf for over a year.

Now I seem to be going back to my old ways and have gotten hold of an Aerco MP2, a Grace Lunatec V2 and an NBox Platinum. Powering these is a lot simpler than it was when I had to haul the SLA lead sled and I can still pack light and run 4 channels of mics and a board feed if I want and the whole bag comes in at around 12 pounds - batteries and all.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: External Preamps - you in or out nowadays?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 10:05:59 AM »
I only have my little Tascam handhelds and when the stars line up, the sound comes out pretty good.  I had purchased some CA-14's and ran them in a DR-22wl and was not impressed by what I got from just running a basic battery box.  Picked up a CA9100 to run them through and, from my limited sample size, the recordings are vastly superior.  My knowledge is very limited on the how/why but it seems to work for me.  And granted I run on the small scale versus the big dogs around here.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
I love my Mixpre6. But channels 5/6 are line in only, hence the need for at least one pair of high quality preampfification. I'm using a Naiant Littlebox but have a schoeps vms on the way
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
I like my ca-9200. The volume knob allows me to adjust on the spot if needed. I'd rather do that and leave the recorder locked om 'hold' then fiddle around with the recorder.
The size of the ca-9200 is so small, I don't mind bringing it in the venue together with a recorder and some mics.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »
I use the V3 these days primarily as a way to increase the recording channel count of the DR-680 to 8 channels via its digital input.  Sort of like the SD machine users who need a preamp in order to record another pair of mics.

So for me its a practical thing, however it does seem weird using such a nice preamp for my least important "extra" channels, which is my usual intent of doing this, rather than using that path for recording an essentially separate stereo pair with high-quality.

If I was only recording only two or four channels where there is less complications, I might use it as a "high-quality path" more often.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 01:30:14 PM »
IN - There's been many tempting 'deals' on HQ preamps/converters in the YS since the new MixPre's came out that its been a great time to inexpensively check out different equipment that may have been cost prohibitive in the past.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 01:48:17 PM »
Depends.  If I am using my SD recorder, I will just go straight in.  With anything else, I may run the main two channels through a good preamp.  Not always, but pretty frequently.  Sometimes I run the Zoom by itself, and sometimes I use a preamp in front of a couple channels.  I still do the tinybox > M10 thing if I am traveling light.  Modern batteries make powering so much easier, even with multiple boxes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:48:54 PM by pohaku »
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 05:04:07 PM »
I've used a bunch of different pres and had a weakness for preamps.  I've ran V2, V3, PSP3, PSP2, Aerco MP-2, VMS02ib, VMS 5U, Naiant Littlebox (3), Tinybox (2), Sonosax SX M2, Beyerdynamic MV100 (2), Fishfive TS-2, SD MP-2 (2), SD Mixpre-D, and an edirol UA-5.  I think that covers most preamps I've run, but after buying more preamps than I ever needed I ended up sizing down to an all in one recorder.  With the high quality pres in the Mixpre-6 I've really liked the size of my rig running mics right into the mixpre-6.  The preamps are awesome, less gear to power, you can run 6 channels, multiple power options, and it is smaller than a lot of pres I have run in the past.  I don't even own any stand alone pres anymore and have been extremely happy with my decision.  Not that I don't miss some of my old preamps, but I don't get out enough to justify having a bunch of preamps collecting dust. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 07:52:28 AM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 06:08:16 PM »
I've used an external preamp less and less in recent years. When I have used one, it's been a Grace V3; its main advantage is more precise control over gain than my Edirol R-44's analog inputs offer, plus low-cut filters at frequencies low enough that they're sometimes actually useful.

The disadvantage of course is the added complexity and weight of the setup, and the need to keep track of the state of charge of two sets of batteries instead of just one. OTOH when the V3 is powering the microphones, that's less drain on the R-44's batteries to begin with.

I have to admit being personally fond of good preamps just for their own sake. I see that I'm not the only person here who has bought a few more of them than were really needed.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:18:03 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 07:34:44 PM »
OTOH when the V3 is powering the microphones, that's less drain on the R-44's batteries to begin with.

Agreed on this point. When I use a preamp to provide P48 to my mics I rarely ever have to worry about the recorder running out of juice running line in - no matter how many channels I'm using - I can run my PMD706 on 6 channels line in off a 5V USB battery that fits in my shirt pocket for a whole day. The preamps I'm using now are pretty efficient and two of them have internal batteries that don't require any extra power cables or external batteries.

When I got my first Grace V3 I had a SLA battery that ran it for maybe 5 hours and that thing was torture. It weighed as much as the rest of my entire rig.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 07:55:33 PM »
Funny was kind of having this discussion with BrianG last Friday night

I went to an all in one pretty quick HDP2 Oade T-Mod. In fact it is still my main bucket all these years later. So went from that with a V3 for a while and then ditched it to slim down and it ate batteries (AKG414 + V3 seemed to be a monster on juice). So went back to just the deck as I was happy with the results, or atleast I thought I was. So fast forward a few years. I like to throw foobar2000 on random a lot. So im sitting there listening to shows and I would be like this is sweet, is it mine ? and then check the notes and damn if it wasn't my rig with the V3 in the chain. So I picked another one up and its in the bag again.

But i think my philosophy now is Mics#1 then #2 high end Pres.  My reasoning is the next great all in one is always out there. But the classic well made stuff is forever. But I totally dig a small rig as well. We keep trying to get smaller and smaller and still do most of the same stuff. Plus nowadays people are practically giving them away. I think I paid like 400+ for my latest V3
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 09:12:28 PM »
I have not used my Beyer MV100 since I figured out how to make the Trashcan DR-70D operate properly. Now I have a MixPre6 but only two sets of mics that are any good for recording. I guess I could use the Beyer some time, if I needed to take balanced SBD inputs over long XLR cables but still run both pairs of mics on the same deck?

Hmm. Have not done it, but that's an interesting thought. There could be a case where the SBD feed comes from a stage box, but I want to run 4 mics where it's actually fun to hang out during the show!? Rather not pump an unbalanced feed more than 10-15' if I can help it, so run the XLR's line in, and then go mini for the Beyer which is unbalanced anyhow!?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 07:46:40 AM »
I have not used my Beyer MV100 since I figured out how to make the Trashcan DR-70D operate properly. Now I have a MixPre6 but only two sets of mics that are any good for recording. I guess I could use the Beyer some time, if I needed to take balanced SBD inputs over long XLR cables but still run both pairs of mics on the same deck?

Hmm. Have not done it, but that's an interesting thought. There could be a case where the SBD feed comes from a stage box, but I want to run 4 mics where it's actually fun to hang out during the show!? Rather not pump an unbalanced feed more than 10-15' if I can help it, so run the XLR's line in, and then go mini for the Beyer which is unbalanced anyhow!?

One thing to think about is that the Beyer is a fixed level pre. The 5/6 line in inputs on the Mixpre6 don't have knobs and thus you must use either the touch screen, or the headphone knob to adjust levels. It's doable, and once you get a handle on it it isn't much of a big deal, but you should definitely practice first.
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 12:50:54 PM »
Other than the CA9200, I've never used an external preamp.  When I started out I was either running an AT822 directly into a Sony D6, or patching out of someone else's rig or the sbd.  I was out of taping during the time when it seems like external preamps were all the rage (out of necessity it seems, if nothing else).  Having gotten back into it in the past year or two, I've been able to just use an all-in-one recorder (again, with the exception of the CA9200 for running mini mics).  A lot of times I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the necessity of an external preamp if for no other reason than avoiding the added complication of another thing to power, and another link in the chain that could potentially go wrong.

That said, there are also times that I see quality preamps in the YS for bargain prices that are very tempting.  I occasionally think about the (relative) simplicity of having only a stealth-able deck, so that it can be used with a BB or CA9200 in stealth situations or used with a "real" preamp in open situations.  There is a certain appeal to that, but at the end of the day I don't think I'll ever go that route because of the convenience and quality of the all-in-one recorders for open situations.

For anyone who likes using an external preamp, this seems like a great time as they seem to not hold their price as well in the age of the MixPre-3/6.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
the (relative) simplicity of having only a stealth-able deck used with a "real" preamp in open situations.

This is where taping was at for me when I first started putting together my first "real" rig. I stuck with the same idea for many years - small recording deck line in from a decent preamp and it served me well.

I would see guys running a SD 744t and still using a Grace V2 in front of it since they just liked the flavor. I always just used a DR2d or a PMD620 except when I had a V3 and used a Microcrapper.

I did get an R4 so I could run 4 channels off the same clock - after getting it modded by Busman I was into that thing for around $1200.

Offline dnuggs

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Festivaaaaal!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 12:05:02 PM »
I'm in.   After adding pre's on 2 different setups I noticed a higher quality and I like what I hear!!

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
We are In. As kindms wrote and I'll add my opinions as to what and why we do it.
He wrote:
But i think my philosophy now is Mics#1 then #2 high end Pres.  My reasoning is the next great all in one is always out there.
The discussion was bit buckets vs pre-amps and I agree with this. We even own two OADE modded decks and when the decision was go Mix-pre6 or grab a pre-amp we each wound up with a Grace, he has V3, I have a V2 (SN 001!). Then when he bought an M10- he also grabbed a SD MIx-pre, old skool first design. I ran around NOLA with a 12"x12" carry on bag with the M10, the Mix-pre one small external USB battery for the Mix-pre, and a set of naiant actives, super clamp, Manfrotto 20" articulating arm and wound up with great recordings either using the pre-amp set up or the M10 internals.
the whole thing fits in a small Porta-Brace bag.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »

I'm definitely still in for the "on hand availability" of the usual suspect, high quality external pre's.  Even though my taping excursions have slowed down considerably these past 2-4 years due to health considerations I still see the value in changing things up occasionally...  I've even added a nice pre or two to the stable recently. 

I enjoy running a variety of gear for the sheer joy of it.  If I do come to the conclusion at some point in time that those external pre's won't be ever used by me again then and only then will I decide to pass them along to someone else.     

:guitarist:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »
I was always “in” until my most recent purchase of the sonosax sxr4. I’m going to be using it for the first time next week snd will decide if I like the sound of the preamps before selling off my external preamp. I mever liked the SD 7xx preamps enough to go all in one. Hope the sax changes that.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
I ran a Femto for about a year and loved it!  Then I sold it for the mixpre 6.  I only have one set of mics so I never need an external pre for channels 5&6.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »
I love my Mixpre6. But channels 5/6 are line in only, hence the need for at least one pair of high quality preampfification. I'm using a Naiant Littlebox but have a schoeps vms on the way

VMS is here, so now the 5/6 input has gone from being used from the least important to the most important pair.

I'm not sure I'd actually be able to distinguish between the VMS and the Littlebox in a double blind test, but it sure makes me feel really good about my taping manhood to see that sexy Schoeps logo in my bag....
Recording:

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 07:15:48 PM »

VMS is here, so now the 5/6 input has gone from being used from the least important to the most important pair.

I'm not sure I'd actually be able to distinguish between the VMS and the Littlebox in a double blind test, but it sure makes me feel really good about my taping manhood to see that sexy Schoeps logo in my bag....

too funny
 :clapping:
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 10:58:11 PM »
^ I think that's part of it. 

Sometimes it's just fun to run more gear.  There are a lot of different ways to enjoy recording and sometimes new toys, or things you've always wanted to run, or something that just looks cool is fun to run.  I've got an Aerco MP-2 that I use pretty consistently with the R44 (especially now with a new battery set up) but really miss the cool factor of my old V2.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 04:32:15 AM »
Yes, deep down we really just enjoy having people walk by seeing all those pretty lights so they can inevitably ask, “what are you doing?” And “ do you work for the band?” Lol. An all in one doesnt look as impressive.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »
Damn. When you put it that was I should have kept the SVU-1 now that I got back to it. It wasn't going to happen w/o an all in one.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline ccage

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
good to know some folks still like the externals....will put up an Oade 148 and 248 in the YS soon
Schoeps CCM 41V, MK4, MK41, NBob Schoeps Actives, JB Mod Nak 300>cp103, JB Mod PFA Nak cp104, Naiant Active>AKG CK 63 combo,   
Oade m248mkII  Audioroot Femto
SD 744
Darktrain cables-tgakidis cables/bar
followinbob clips/risers/bars-Naiant PFA's-Nbob Actives

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:48 PM »

I'm definitely still in for the "on hand availability" of the usual suspect, high quality external pre's.  Even though my taping excursions have slowed down considerably these past 2-4 years due to health considerations I still see the value in changing things up occasionally...  I've even added a nice pre or two to the stable recently. 

I enjoy running a variety of gear for the sheer joy of it.  If I do come to the conclusion at some point in time that those external pre's won't be ever used by me again then and only then will I decide to pass them along to someone else.     

I’ve got a nbox I haven’t used in a couple of years. It’s great gear but I like the sound of my babynbox>warm modded 620s as much as any pre I ever owned except 148 and eea psp2. I’d happily get one of these again but i do 90% 😈 so I’ll take the little quality hit for ease of use.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »
Love the akg481 + FP24 combo. Don’t see a reason to change it up. Still real compact and use the dr70d to capture the bits
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline willndmb

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »
If I'm being lazy, or bag is tight I'll use internal but my ears will take my Naiant boxes anyway of the week
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 08:36:48 AM »
First run with the sx-r4 last night. Happy to say I’m out now. Don’t think I’m going to do any better than the internal preamps on that deck

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
First run with the sx-r4 last night. Happy to say I’m out now. Don’t think I’m going to do any better than the internal preamps on that deck

I'll make sure your V2 gets out of the house every once in a while.

Congrats on SXR4. That thing looks pretty sweet.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »
+T The V2 treated me well. Hope you’re getting some good use from it!

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 05:22:53 PM »

I have both.  Prefer the NBox but if security and metal detectors are a concern I go the babynbox route and am still happy with the results.

I’ve got a nbox I haven’t used in a couple of years. It’s great gear but I like the sound of my babynbox>warm modded 620s as much as any pre I ever owned except 148 and eea psp2. I’d happily get one of these again but i do 90% 😈 so I’ll take the little quality hit for ease of use.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2019, 12:30:39 AM »
I also have both.  I also Prefer the NBox but if security and metal detectors are a concern I go the babynbox route and am also happy with the results.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2019, 05:14:17 PM »
I still have a V2 and FP24. The V2 is in the yard but I’m thinking of pulling it. Every time I sell it I buy one back in a year or so. Plus now I have the perfect battery solution for it. No need to worry about finding those old DVD batteries. With the FP24 I pop in some lithiums and it will run all day. Will never get rid of that one.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2019, 11:34:46 AM »
Out. Just sold my only preamp, an nbox platinum. I have two baby nboxes and three Oade mod Marantz 620, and a Oade's 661 and PFA if I'm running open and am not lazy that night. I prefer babynbox>620 to nbox>620, it's not a quality issue, I simply prefer warm to transparent. No slam on the nbox at all.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2019, 11:55:24 PM »
I'm still in.  Nothing beats the V3.  Sure the extra weight in the bad sucks but again, nothing beats it.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »
I'm still in.  I'm a transformer freak.  I own: SD 442 & 302, Aerco MP-2, Oade M148, and Naiant Littlebox.   That said, I own a MixPre-6 recorder, and I like my recordings more with one of these Preamps out in front.  Just personal taste.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:36:48 AM by spyder9 »

Offline Benderman11

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »
I’m still in also.  Have SD442 and MP2 as well as V3. Usually run these line in to F8
mics: Joly Modded Oktava MK-012MSP, Telefunken M60 stereo set, Neumann ak40, ak43, or ak50 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km100
Pres: Sound Devices 442, Sound Devices MP-2, Grace Lunatec V3
Recorders: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-60Dmkii, Zoom F4, SD788t

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 09:57:37 PM »
out!  mixpre-6 is all I need and my back thanks me!  I've slimmed down gear and bag to pretty damn small yet still can carry everything for aud + sbd in a tiny bag.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jmitchell

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 11:02:40 PM »
I haven’t used either of my pres much since I got  the mp6.  I always ran them in front of my 680, but haven’t had the urge to put them in my bag.  I’m going to see Mike Gordon this Friday and Saturday, I might put one in the bag.
AKG C451E, CK1, CK22, CK3
Telefunken M60, TK60, TK62
Studio Projects C4 Cards & Omni
CA-14 Cards & Omni
Audioroot Femto, Sound Devices MixPre-D
Sound Devices MixPre-6, Zoom F8n, Roland R-05

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »
"The Best Preamp is no Preamp"
-Doug Oade
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2019, 11:24:53 AM »
-Doug Oade

👍

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
still rockin my V3  :yahoo:
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline mattmiller

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2019, 09:03:03 AM »
I bought my V3 years ago when they were selling essentially new ones on eBay for $850.  I'm not sure why, probably just laziness, but I stopped using it for a period of time.  But last year I had an otherwise really nice recording "ruined" (to my ears) by the artist unexpectedly doing a couple of songs solo acoustic, and I can hear too much noise for my liking when I turn up the volume on those tracks.  That was with a stock HD-P2.  Now I'm committed to never leave home without the V3, whether I'm running the HD-P2 or 680.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2019, 12:59:14 PM »
In like Flynn:
music IS love

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2019, 08:09:35 AM »
I bought my V3 years ago when they were selling essentially new ones on eBay for $850.  I'm not sure why, probably just laziness, but I stopped using it for a period of time.  But last year I had an otherwise really nice recording "ruined" (to my ears) by the artist unexpectedly doing a couple of songs solo acoustic, and I can hear too much noise for my liking when I turn up the volume on those tracks.  That was with a stock HD-P2.  Now I'm committed to never leave home without the V3, whether I'm running the HD-P2 or 680.
yeah if clean gain is your goal, its hard to beat those. i really feel like i almost wasnt really using it at the typical 30 dB gain
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »
In like Flynn:

well Technically one of those is mine ;)
and we have a V3 not pictured that I run V3>HDP2 and I usually hand rocksuitcase the coax out for the DR680. I had Ted make us an AES >Coax so I use that for the "backup deeck" if we are running together

I sold my V3 a while back and then a few times i had some tunes come up random in foobar and was like hmm whose recording is this ? And when I looked they were mine with the V3 in the chain. So I grabbed another one

my HDP2 is Oade modded and sounds great on its own, but the V3 tapes have something extra

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
In like Flynn:

well Technically one of those is mine ;)
and we have a V3 not pictured that I run V3>HDP2 and I usually hand rocksuitcase the coax out for the DR680. I had Ted make us an AES >Coax so I use that for the "backup deeck" if we are running together

I sold my V3 a while back and then a few times i had some tunes come up random in foobar and was like hmm whose recording is this ? And when I looked they were mine with the V3 in the chain. So I grabbed another one

my HDP2 is Oade modded and sounds great on its own, but the V3 tapes have something extra
So what kindms is avoiding saying is we are Grace hounds.! Sort of like Della Mae's Bourbon hounds!
I looked for a photo of all three Grace units but couldn't locate one.
Pictured at top of photo is SN 002 owned by my Texas Taper buddy for years then gifted to us in 2017.
Then kindms bought the bottom one last year which we have used 4-5 times now.
He also runs the V3 he was mentioning. It's a Grace party when we drag those baybees to the show! Someone offered to sell me a V2 at Panic last weekend, when I asked what price, he said what do you want to offer? I never countered as I got distracted. lol

music IS love

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2019, 06:41:58 PM »
i had V3 #003, i think it was the first to escape their shop. went to someone around here when i took first of several taping hiatuses in 04

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2019, 02:24:48 PM »
Was out, but now I'm in. I picked up a nearly mint FP-24 to run with the M10 for onstage/second rig a few days ago.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2019, 11:03:27 AM »
Small rig yes (PSP-2)
Big rig no (HS-P82 pre's are more than enough)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2019, 07:04:35 PM »
I’m in! I’m a big Grace fan too. Have a V-2 and V-3
Also an FP-24, Mini-Mp, Sound Devices MP-1’s. Also AD1k
AD2K. Can run it all too with my R-88.
My Mixpre3 sounds great by itself, it sounds better
with an Nbox or V2 in front of it.

Graceland
https://imgur.com/a/4XnwnsI
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:07:14 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »
'sup with the mascot? is he on security detail? ;)

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
Digging the mascot! Those Grace units look scrumptious!
music IS love

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2019, 02:57:18 PM »
My 29 year old daughter gave me that and I take
it to every show and text her a picture like that. I am blessed to tape
anything so it’s nice.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2022, 12:01:03 PM »
Was out, but now I'm in. I picked up a nearly mint FP-24 to run with the M10 for onstage/second rig a few days ago.

I sold the FP-24 a few months after I bought it and just bought a Mixpre. So back in, again  ::)

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
All in on external pres: Oade PMod UA-5; Naiant MidBox, MixPre, Shure FP11s. Love different flavor boxes in the chain.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 03:38:45 PM by fireonshakedwnstreet »
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2022, 02:47:54 PM »
Still in, although I haven't done much taping the last two years.  Hoping that changes soon.  USBPre2, V2 x 2, Millennia HV-32P, Tinybox, DAV Bg1, Pipsqueak.  Got more pres, but not really portable for shows.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2022, 11:26:39 AM »

Still in +

:lol:

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2022, 11:59:11 AM »
after running nearly every box there was, I kinda took a break when the MixPre recorders came out
I probably owned as many as 4 or 5 boxes at all times.
I am coming back to them now and still own (not counting NBoxes):

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2022, 02:44:38 PM »
I've run every type of preamp as well and still prefer the ease of my Mixpre 10.  I'll admit I'm a recovering preamp junkie.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2022, 11:13:32 AM »
THEY'RE BACK!!!

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2022, 12:44:33 PM »
THEY'RE BACK!!!

Nice. Have you run the Sax with the Schoeps yet? My fave FOB Panic tapes from way back when were that combo.

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2022, 12:57:29 PM »
THEY'RE BACK!!!

Nice. Have you run the Sax with the Schoeps yet? My fave FOB Panic tapes from way back when were that combo.

yes... and the DPA 4011s

I decided to go back to the boxes after getting the Zoom F3 since it is so small and battery efficient

Offline Twenty8

• Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2022, 09:32:01 PM »
They don't get used often, but I have two Oade UA-5s.  Ran the ACM+ with AT3031s indoors last month and it sounded pretty good.  The W+ does not get out much.  I don't see letting them go.  Only three years in (subtracting for pandemic) and I want to keep the cabinet in spices as I love to experiment with different mics in different venues in NOLA.

Now I just have to ask Doug (or you guys) if I can run the UA-5s analog.  I have only gone Digi OUT to my 680mkii.  Would love to know if they can go analog out using the RCAs on the back...
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

• Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2022, 10:16:38 PM »

They don't get used often, but I have two Oade UA-5s.  Ran the ACM+ with AT3031s indoors last month and it sounded pretty good.  The W+ does not get out much.  I don't see letting them go.  Only three years in (subtracting for pandemic) and I want to keep the cabinet in spices as I love to experiment with different mics in different venues in NOLA.

Now I just have to ask Doug (or you guys) if I can run the UA-5s analog.  I have only gone Digi OUT to my 680mkii.  Would love to know if they can go analog out using the RCAs on the back...

RCA outs or 1/4" outs are absolutely not a problem. Ran it like that for Billy Strings last month. It does do a little roundabout Analog>Digital>Analog when you run it like that, but no difference that I've ever heard. May need to pick up a Warm from Doug.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 10:18:53 PM by fireonshakedwnstreet »
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2022, 11:47:40 PM »
Is that a Royer-sax??
…and 4ch. nbox??
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 11:49:19 PM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline darby

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2022, 12:01:50 PM »
Is that a Royer-sax??
…and 4ch. nbox??

yes and yes!

BE CAREFUL!!!!

I had a warm UA-5 back when they first started to mod them and the RCA outs DID NOT PASS SIGNAL!  :shrug: ??? :facepalm: :hmmm:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:06:35 PM by darby »

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2022, 01:53:44 PM »
-Doug Oade

👍

Some of my favorite recordings were simply Nak 700's>battery box>M10. Stock Naks with 6 volt internals and battery box adding another 9 volts. Wish I still had this rig.  :banging head:

Offline Twenty8

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2022, 07:56:58 PM »
not a problem.
BE CAREFUL!!!!
I sent Doug an email.  Find out from the source.  Not that I do not believe FOSStreet, just want some clarity from the mod god himself.

• Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2022, 10:10:20 PM »
Damn you all. I gotta pick up an UA-5 to send Doug now 🤣

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2022, 01:02:33 AM »
I'm both rationally and irrationally drawn to preamps. The one thing that they do, they can do about as well as it can ever be done; that appeals to me. But it's also a fact that portable "semi-pro" recorders don't always have balanced XLR inputs, very low noise and distortion, reliable phantom powering, and/or input overload margins suitable for professional condenser microphones. Good preamps, on the other hand, can offer those things while freeing me to use any of a wide range of possible lower-cost recorders.

I mean, if a recorder happens to offer those qualities, it's great; for years I recorded on a Nagra IV-S using 12-Volt phantom powered microphones or low-current P48 microphones and all was well. But the Nagra was a very large investment. I felt that it was justified at the time since for the foreseeable future back then, I didn't think that anything better was likely to come along. I recorded on it for about eight years until the Sony PCM-F1 became available, and I still use it for some analog transfers. 48 years of highly reliable service from a piece of recording equipment is fairly satisfactory, I'd say.

But today, good professional recorders with all the latest features (and price tags to match) are introduced each year, while live recording, for me at least, is on hold until classical concert life bounces back here in New York. So I can't justify a large investment in a fancy professional recorder; I probably will never buy a "high-ticket" deck again in my life. Thus I rely on good outboard preamps (including a Grace V3 with S/P-DIF output and a Sound Devices MP-2 with consumer-aux-level outputs) to let me use low-cost, portable recorders. Then with that problem solved, I can focus more on the best use of my microphones, which is never a completely solved problem.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 01:19:06 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Papaphunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »
What venues are you recording in where you really need an external pre-amp ?

For the most part, around Philly bands play in 450 - 600 capacity venues. There are a few larger in the 2K - 3K range, but here is  a recording I made over the weekend, 2500 capacity sold out venue. Mic's were 12 feet up pointing straight at the stage, about 100 feet away by the SBD area. Sounds pretty nice to me with Hypers and the Internal Tascam-DRmk3 pre-amp. One less thing to worry about when taping in tight spaces imho.

https://archive.org/details/Goose2022-03-12.AKGCK63.Flac24
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline Twenty8

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2022, 04:25:32 PM »
Quote from: From Doug Oade this morning on the UA-5
Hi Vince, yes, they may be used as pure analog preamps and you still get the advantage of the
upgrade.
Have fun....Doug

• Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2022, 04:44:45 PM »

Definitely not a need (maybe for acoustic/classical), but more of wanting a certain flavor, at least for me.

• Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2022, 04:49:27 PM »
Quote from: From Doug Oade this morning on the UA-5
Hi Vince, yes, they may be used as pure analog preamps and you still get the advantage of the
upgrade.
Have fun....Doug

Hehehe! Run one box digi and one box analog >:D

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2022, 06:43:20 PM »

Definitely not a need (maybe for acoustic/classical), but more of wanting a certain flavor, at least for me.

I'm a fan of the "soft knee" on the minime.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2022, 07:01:31 PM »
I'm a fan of the "soft knee" on the minime.

Not an external, but I find the "advanced limiter" option built into the Zoom F8 (I think F6 too) to be something of an ultimate, transparent "soft knee" as it proportionally increases ratio as level approaches your "never go over" target level setting.  Setting a target level of 0dBfs causes it to proportionally ramp up the ratio from 1:1 below -10dBfs to infinity:1 just prior to reaching 0dBfs. As Page used to say, Neato!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2022, 10:48:58 PM »
im starting to slide ever so slightly from team grace to team sonosax :)

but in praise to Mt Grace he made those Pres a long time ago in galaxy far far far away

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2022, 09:26:32 AM »
My ear agrees

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2022, 10:44:25 AM »
im starting to slide ever so slightly from team grace to team sonosax :)

but in praise to Mt Grace he made those Pres a long time ago in galaxy far far far away
So we have to choose one over the other? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.     >:D
Seriously though, Grace does not make those V2/V3's anymore, so the advantage if going new is Sonosax. And essentially Grace left our niche market out of their offerings, being more designed for studio and home podcast work now.
I do dig the sound quality of kindm's SX M2D2.
music IS love

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2022, 07:30:28 AM »
i've always run an external pre. for over 20 years.

but i'm going straight sonosax recorder now. we'll see

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2022, 11:07:07 AM »
i've always run an external pre. for over 20 years.

but i'm going straight sonosax recorder now. we'll see
which model if you don't mind me asking
music IS love

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2022, 12:24:10 PM »
found an intl version r4+ and jumped on it. sold an adc and preamp to help pay

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2022, 03:12:41 PM »
Although its been two years since I've recorded anything, I still use the Lunatech V3 I bought new in 2003! And still using the SD-744t I bought used in 2009. Yeah, I'm old  :yack:

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2022, 08:50:41 PM »
Small rig yes:
Schoeps > PSP-2 > Sony D100/Korg MR-1

4+ track - sometimes when running tubes:
Schoeps > (optional NT222) > HS-P82

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2022, 08:32:00 PM »
Small rig yes:
Schoeps > PSP-2 > Sony D100/Korg MR-1

4+ track - sometimes when running tubes:
Schoeps > (optional NT222) > HS-P82

Hi Richard...long time.  Glad to see you're still at it.  My CMMT rig is finally going to get some use this summer...needs a bit of maintenance at the moment however.  I haven't gotten out to record since before pandemic.  Ugh!  I see you're still rocking the DSD units!  I loved that D100 I once owned...thinking about getting back into DSD recording.

As far as the general discussion about external preamps goes, I think I'll always be a fan and never go away completely...at least not until I feel that internals match or exceed the sound I get from my external preamps.  I've currently got a VMS32UB, VMS52UB, Oade M118 and the 'newest' addition is goodcooker's old Reference Audio MS-2.  That said, my favorites were the PSP2 and the PSP3.  Didn't care much for the Sonosax's that I owned...with my mics the low end was real spitty and just ick.  I loved the functionality of the two V3's I once had...just never got very excited about the Grace sound.  My two biggest gear regrets were selling the two PSP2's that I owned, but both times I needed to sell when money was tight and those damn things always fetch top dollar...even to this day.  :bawling: 

Of the preamps that are currently on the market, I do really like the sound of that new sonosax and would love to own one.  I'm also really curious about the Millenia HV-32P...wish someone on here would buy one so I could hear what it sounds like.  LOLZ.  I might be wrong, but these two seem like the only viable external pres on the market right now for what we do.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 08:36:31 PM by fanofjam »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2022, 06:02:55 AM »
Who had the Mytek Pre A/D ?

I see Mytek has focused on "enthusiast" playback recently, moving to D-A and Stream players
Not sure, but Marcin and Michal may have separated into U.S. and E.U. groups. (Mytek & HEM-e)

The website still shows support for the AD192
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2022, 10:42:54 AM »
Heading out with the Aerco MP2 > Sony PCM-D100 combo again this evening. Never fails to impress.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2022, 10:35:13 AM »
Heading out with the Aerco MP2 > Sony PCM-D100 combo again this evening. Never fails to impress.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2022, 09:18:49 PM »

AERCO !
Post the kickdown here, and DAT-Heads, too !     8)

Is Jerry still making them ?

& yes, transformers, if anyone asks, but I suspect you are well aware

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2022, 10:56:25 PM »
Yes he is.  https://aerco.net/

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2022, 10:57:44 PM »
How does the Aerco compare to my Mixpre?  I love a good cottage industry product.

• Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2022, 11:07:55 PM »
This thread makes me happy. Ran all four of my boxes at Dead and Co yesterday: Oade P and W Mod UA-5s, Naiant Midbox, and MixPre. LOVE preamps.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
^To me, nothings is as fat as an Aerco MP-2.  Nothing.
Old school MixPre with Jensen’s or Lundahl’s are the closest an SD unit would come IMO..
But nothing like an Aerco IMO.
I can’t imagine a new school MixPre is anything like an Aerco.

Super-cards > Aerco = absolute heat!!

I once had both an Aerco and V2 that had matching serial numbers.
That combo of pre’s was a dream.  Then I got rid of em..   :facepalm:

I’m sure there are others, but an Oade 148 would be somewhat similar sounding IMO.
There is a Cooper in the YS that is heavy (in a good way) with transformers.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 11:35:21 PM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2022, 11:52:24 AM »
^ Yes, I love having access to both the Aerco and V2, which both interface easily with the D100. Also agreed on the supercardioids in the chain, but I have been real happy with cards, too. I didn't end up bringing the gear out the other night since I was just finally testing negative a few days before and still feeling low energy. They also had intermittent noise on one of the PAs throughout the night, which was unfortunate, but I am glad I didn't endure the frustrations of that being recorded. Great show though with John Kadlecik, Reed Mathis and others. They played an awesome cover of The Way It Is.

Here are a few of my most recent MG>Aerco>D100 sources. I was in close proximity to the stage for these and the sound is reflected as such. Sure wish I could get out more.

https://archive.org/details/jgb2022-05-21.mg20.flac24
https://archive.org/details/stuallen2022-05-21.mg20.flac24
https://archive.org/details/cats2021-05-07.mg20.flac24
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2022, 01:02:16 PM »
Sounds sweet, Horus!

..& good to hear you're on the mend.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2022, 09:34:48 PM »
The Aerco thread mentions that Jerry passed, but I have no first hand info.

On "The Way It Is", I have Bruce's more recent interpretations of it, and it, as well as the new "Long Valley Road" are great listens.
Can kick down if anyone cares.

Saaaay...
Anybody want to let their V2 out of the closet for a season or so ?
Would buy it, and when selling would offer it back at cost with "right of first refusal" (1st dibs) ....

Currently working on a portable power solution for this:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 09:42:34 PM by Clem Cheesy »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2022, 10:00:05 PM »
How does the Aerco compare to my Mixpre?  I love a good cottage industry product.

They are OK with ganging two-together for portable use:

https://soundskulptor.com/en/home.php

I may try it, if I can't get a V2 to play with.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 07:05:33 PM by Clem Cheesy »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2022, 10:14:03 PM »
I’m leaving the MixPre 6 at home for the Merriweather Phish shows and bringing my MixPre and A10. It’s been a minute since I’ve used an external pre, so I’m looking forward to it.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• Oceana North America
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2022, 09:58:47 PM »
I’m leaving the MixPre 6 at home for the Merriweather Phish shows and bringing my MixPre and A10. It’s been a minute since I’ve used an external pre, so I’m looking forward to it.

Did you pull sick tape ?
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

- Fran Lebowitz

• Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2022, 11:31:12 PM »
Getting an OCM 661 from Doug soon. I love preamps!

Offline mccordo

• Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2022, 09:19:54 PM »

Did you pull sick tape ?

I’ve finally gotten a chance to process the files and am quite pleased with the results. Especially using the ck63s on Sunday. I’ll post a link soon.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline mccordo

• Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2022, 05:40:32 PM »

Did you pull sick tape ?

I’ve finally gotten a chance to process the files and am quite pleased with the results. Especially using the ck63s on Sunday. I’ll post a link soon.

Phish 7/30 - AKG ck61 > MixPre >Sony A10 (OTS): https://we.tl/t-hLYrFLpDK2

Phish 7/31 - AKG ck63 > MixPre >Sony A10 (OTS): https://we.tl/t-oyIsS4vZEd

(Links good for 1 week)

Offline jnorman

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2022, 12:14:20 AM »
After using Sonosax pres for years, I now use the preamps in my MixPre exclusively on location for 4 mics or less, adding the Sonosax back in if I need six mics - the last time I used it was about 9 months ago on a 33-piece chamber orchestra.  My Sonosax is 30-odd years old now - I first bought it on the recommendation of Dave royer when I bought two of the first R-121 ribbon mics made.  He told me that was the preamp they used in their testing lab at Royer.  The sonosax pres are the slightest bit more transparent than the SD, but only noticeable with very careful listening.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.372 seconds with 131 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com