Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External Preamps - you in or out nowadays?  (Read 38645 times)

Offline dnuggs

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Festivaaaaal!!!
Re: External Preamps - you in or out nowadays?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 12:05:02 PM »
I'm in.   After adding pre's on 2 different setups I noticed a higher quality and I like what I hear!!

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
We are In. As kindms wrote and I'll add my opinions as to what and why we do it.
He wrote:
But i think my philosophy now is Mics#1 then #2 high end Pres.  My reasoning is the next great all in one is always out there.
The discussion was bit buckets vs pre-amps and I agree with this. We even own two OADE modded decks and when the decision was go Mix-pre6 or grab a pre-amp we each wound up with a Grace, he has V3, I have a V2 (SN 001!). Then when he bought an M10- he also grabbed a SD MIx-pre, old skool first design. I ran around NOLA with a 12"x12" carry on bag with the M10, the Mix-pre one small external USB battery for the Mix-pre, and a set of naiant actives, super clamp, Manfrotto 20" articulating arm and wound up with great recordings either using the pre-amp set up or the M10 internals.
the whole thing fits in a small Porta-Brace bag.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »

I'm definitely still in for the "on hand availability" of the usual suspect, high quality external pre's.  Even though my taping excursions have slowed down considerably these past 2-4 years due to health considerations I still see the value in changing things up occasionally...  I've even added a nice pre or two to the stable recently. 

I enjoy running a variety of gear for the sheer joy of it.  If I do come to the conclusion at some point in time that those external pre's won't be ever used by me again then and only then will I decide to pass them along to someone else.     

:guitarist:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »
I was always “in” until my most recent purchase of the sonosax sxr4. I’m going to be using it for the first time next week snd will decide if I like the sound of the preamps before selling off my external preamp. I mever liked the SD 7xx preamps enough to go all in one. Hope the sax changes that.
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
I ran a Femto for about a year and loved it!  Then I sold it for the mixpre 6.  I only have one set of mics so I never need an external pre for channels 5&6.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 03:36:18 PM »
I love my Mixpre6. But channels 5/6 are line in only, hence the need for at least one pair of high quality preampfification. I'm using a Naiant Littlebox but have a schoeps vms on the way

VMS is here, so now the 5/6 input has gone from being used from the least important to the most important pair.

I'm not sure I'd actually be able to distinguish between the VMS and the Littlebox in a double blind test, but it sure makes me feel really good about my taping manhood to see that sexy Schoeps logo in my bag....
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 07:15:48 PM »
I love my Mixpre6. But channels 5/6 are line in only, hence the need for at least one pair of high quality preampfification. I'm using a Naiant Littlebox but have a schoeps vms on the way

VMS is here, so now the 5/6 input has gone from being used from the least important to the most important pair.

I'm not sure I'd actually be able to distinguish between the VMS and the Littlebox in a double blind test, but it sure makes me feel really good about my taping manhood to see that sexy Schoeps logo in my bag....

too funny
 :clapping:
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 10:58:11 PM »
^ I think that's part of it. 

Sometimes it's just fun to run more gear.  There are a lot of different ways to enjoy recording and sometimes new toys, or things you've always wanted to run, or something that just looks cool is fun to run.  I've got an Aerco MP-2 that I use pretty consistently with the R44 (especially now with a new battery set up) but really miss the cool factor of my old V2.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 04:32:15 AM »
Yes, deep down we really just enjoy having people walk by seeing all those pretty lights so they can inevitably ask, “what are you doing?” And “ do you work for the band?” Lol. An all in one doesnt look as impressive.

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »
Damn. When you put it that was I should have kept the SVU-1 now that I got back to it. It wasn't going to happen w/o an all in one.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline ccage

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
good to know some folks still like the externals....will put up an Oade 148 and 248 in the YS soon
Schoeps CCM 41V, MK4, MK41, NBob Schoeps Actives, JB Mod Nak 300>cp103, JB Mod PFA Nak cp104, Naiant Active>AKG CK 63 combo,   
Oade m248mkII  Audioroot Femto
SD 744
Darktrain cables-tgakidis cables/bar
followinbob clips/risers/bars-Naiant PFA's-Nbob Actives

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:48 PM »

I'm definitely still in for the "on hand availability" of the usual suspect, high quality external pre's.  Even though my taping excursions have slowed down considerably these past 2-4 years due to health considerations I still see the value in changing things up occasionally...  I've even added a nice pre or two to the stable recently. 

I enjoy running a variety of gear for the sheer joy of it.  If I do come to the conclusion at some point in time that those external pre's won't be ever used by me again then and only then will I decide to pass them along to someone else.     

:guitarist:

I’ve got a nbox I haven’t used in a couple of years. It’s great gear but I like the sound of my babynbox>warm modded 620s as much as any pre I ever owned except 148 and eea psp2. I’d happily get one of these again but i do 90% 😈 so I’ll take the little quality hit for ease of use.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 09:31:36 PM »
Love the akg481 + FP24 combo. Don’t see a reason to change it up. Still real compact and use the dr70d to capture the bits
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 06:07:56 PM »
If I'm being lazy, or bag is tight I'll use internal but my ears will take my Naiant boxes anyway of the week
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 08:36:48 AM »
First run with the sx-r4 last night. Happy to say I’m out now. Don’t think I’m going to do any better than the internal preamps on that deck

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com