Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anybody knows what's the maximum gain you can add with a CA-9100 preamp?  (Read 4657 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Everything is in the subject.

I'm currently taping shows with a pair of DPA-4061's powered by a 9V battery box and I have to set the recording levels to the max on my Tascam dr-2D just to barely reach a -20dB threshold.

I have a CA-9100, but I'm affraid of getting distorted results if I use it...
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Anybody knows what's the maximum gain you can add with a CA-9100 preamp?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 07:40:35 AM »

Everything is in the subject.

I'm currently taping shows with a pair of DPA-4061's powered by a 9V battery box and I have to set the recording levels to the max on my Tascam dr-2D just to barely reach a -20dB threshold.

I have a CA-9100, but I'm affraid of getting distorted results if I use it...

Why would that be a concern? Lots of folks use that preamp and get a clean signal. I think it will give you +20dB max.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Anybody knows what's the maximum gain you can add with a CA-9100 preamp?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 09:20:47 AM »
Agree with the above. Also, the pre-amp has different levels of gain, so you don't have to use the maximum gain at first unless necessary.  Try using the lowest setting at first.  If the levels are still too low, go up a step between songs and adjust the volume difference afterwards in post.  Or try going to some local venue to see a loud band you don't care about and try it out there. Or run a back up rig. 

I assume that you will be going line in, rather than mic in. 

I noticed that you had somewhat related concerns about the pre-amp two years or so ago (https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182023.0). How did things work out then?

I find the DR2D to be confusing in setting gain levels, as least as opposed to the M10 or even my vintage IRivers.  You might find some useful info in this thread (although some of that ground was covered in the response to your earlier post).  https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153648.0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:23:22 AM by unidentified »

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »
Agree with the above. Also, the pre-amp has different levels of gain, so you don't have to use the maximum gain at first unless necessary.  Try using the lowest setting at first.  If the levels are still too low, go up a step between songs and adjust the volume difference afterwards in post.  Or try going to some local venue to see a loud band you don't care about and try it out there. Or run a back up rig. 

I noticed that you had somewhat related concerns about the pre-amp two years or so ago (https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182023.0). How did things work out then?

I find the DR2D to be confusing in setting gain levels, as least as opposed to the M10 or even my vintage IRivers.  You might find some useful info in this thread (although some of that ground was covered in the response to your earlier post).  https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153648.0

My understanding is that the 9100 preamp has a FIXED 20db gain and that the trim knob lowers the output signal to your recorder.

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 10:55:10 AM »
The CA-9100 can either lower or add gain.
I've been told it starts adding gain when the knob is at eleven  o'clock.
The knob cannot be locked at different levels (+5dB, +10dB, +15dB...).

To be honnest, I totally occulted that post from 2 years ago.
I've been taping with the 4061 and a battery box since then.
Never tried the preamp.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 11:13:58 AM »
Yes, I'm familiar with the preamp. I owned one for years. I loved the 9100 when I used it.

Yes, 11 o'clock is 0 dB, gradually up to +20 dB as you rotate the knob clockwise. No reason not to use it if you need the gain. It is clean. Go for it.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »

My understanding is that the 9100 preamp has a FIXED 20db gain and that the trim knob lowers the output signal to your recorder.

Dang -- I bet you're right.  I just checked my armory of gear and realized that I own a 9000 and a pair of 9200s but not a 9100.  Shame on me!  Still, the output from the 9100 pre-amp can be trimmed downwards, if your understanding is correct.  Is the OP concerned about (1) the pre-amp will distort at loud concerts or (2) the Tascam will distort if he feeds a 20 db-boosted signal into its line-in at a loud concert.  The former scenario seems unlikely IMHO and the latter scenario could be dealt with by using the trim knob. But I could be wrong, of course.  Does anyone here have experience with the rig that the OP has?   

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
Yes, I'm familiar with the preamp. I owned one for years. I loved the 9100 when I used it.

Yes, 11 o'clock is 0 dB, gradually up to +20 dB as you rotate the knob clockwise. No reason not to use it if you need the gain. It is clean. Go for it.

So this sounds like an ideal device for the OP, given its ability to seamlessly add or reduce the signal volume to the recorder.  I might want to grab one from the Yard Sale someday.

See also http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=151393.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com