Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 144344 times)

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #435 on: March 12, 2022, 01:28:06 PM »
I use the MixPre10ii, but note that SD specifically says not to use the Sandisk Extreme Pro, but the regular "Extreme" cards are fine (my tests confirm the Extreme works).

Perhaps the Zoom is also sensitive to whatever fails in the MixPres?

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #436 on: March 12, 2022, 01:36:15 PM »
Thanks! Thats strange, the Extreme Pro cards have always worked flawlessly on my Mixpre10ii - I reget having sold it..

I use the MixPre10ii, but note that SD specifically says not to use the Sandisk Extreme Pro, but the regular "Extreme" cards are fine (my tests confirm the Extreme works).

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #437 on: March 12, 2022, 02:06:56 PM »
.. and the pro cards are on their recommended list..
Still maybe I will order an extreme 64 gb just to be sure.

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #438 on: March 12, 2022, 02:16:53 PM »
At first I was hoping that at least 16 gb cards work, but the forth "full performance tests" on the same card just failed. It seems like random read/write errors happen and the chance for them to happen is just slightly lower when the cards are smaller. On a 256 gb card the test fails every time at some point in time.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #439 on: March 12, 2022, 03:02:21 PM »
Yep, should have kept the Mixpre 10!!

Thanks! Thats strange, the Extreme Pro cards have always worked flawlessly on my Mixpre10ii - I reget having sold it..

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #440 on: March 12, 2022, 03:09:27 PM »
Thats right, it was just to heavy for me. Double the weight of the zoom and then you need much more batteries or an external battery plus a larger bag..
It added up and I wasnt too quick on my feet anymore.
If you need exactly six xlr-inputs and six fader knobs theres not a lot options out there.

Yep, should have kept the Mixpre 10!!

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #441 on: March 12, 2022, 05:08:17 PM »
At first I was hoping that at least 16 gb cards work, but the forth "full performance tests" on the same card just failed. It seems like random read/write errors happen and the chance for them to happen is just slightly lower when the cards are smaller. On a 256 gb card the test fails every time at some point in time.

I have said this before, maybe on this thread; maybe elsewhere:

Flash media manufacturers update production runs of these cards all the time, and even though they may have the same product names, that doesn't mean they will perform the same in audio recorders. Audio recorders write data to cards differently than the short bursts of data you get with photo or video.

You can only rely on cards that match the exact model numbers found in card tests from Zoom, SD. etc. Buying any old SanDisk Extreme just because there is one of those on a recorder's tested good list means nothing. If it's not the exact same model number, then it's not the same card internally, despite what the packaging says.

Zoom tells you as much on their card lists:
Note: The internal components of SDHC/SDXC cards are subject to change depending on
theirproduction period. In this case, we do not warrant their compatibility with the

The the really unfortunate thing is that when an audio recorder manufacturer does not continue to do tests on older units with newer cards, the customer is left taking shots in the dark. Zoom stopped testing cards for the F6, and SD only ever tested a few for the MixPre-II.

EDIT: If I needed a new SD card for my F6, I would be trying something from the F8n Pro card list (PDF). That doc is current as of March 2022, and the F8 should present a more demanding load for the media compared to the F6.

The updated version of the Kingston 128 GB card I use is on the F8n Pro list. I would start there.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 05:16:57 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #442 on: March 13, 2022, 01:04:28 PM »

I'm confused - the SD MixPre approved media list has the Sandisk Extreme Pro in the Unapproved Media list?

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-series-approved-media-list/

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #443 on: March 13, 2022, 02:10:18 PM »
I have been using an Extreme pro in my Mixpre 10 II and haven't had problems.  I didn't realize it was on the unapproved list. 

I'm confused - the SD MixPre approved media list has the Sandisk Extreme Pro in the Unapproved Media list?

https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-series-approved-media-list/
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #444 on: March 13, 2022, 04:08:44 PM »
Thanks for all your help!
As I live in germany, I already orderes the SanDisk Ultra 64 GB.
Hope its the same model.

I have said this before, maybe on this thread; maybe elsewhere:

Flash media manufacturers update production runs of these cards all the time, and even though they may have the same product names, that doesn't mean they will perform the same in audio recorders. Audio recorders write data to cards differently than the short bursts of data you get with photo or video.

You can only rely on cards that match the exact model numbers found in card tests from Zoom, SD. etc. Buying any old SanDisk Extreme just because there is one of those on a recorder's tested good list means nothing. If it's not the exact same model number, then it's not the same card internally, despite what the packaging says.

Zoom tells you as much on their card lists:
Note: The internal components of SDHC/SDXC cards are subject to change depending on
theirproduction period. In this case, we do not warrant their compatibility with the

The the really unfortunate thing is that when an audio recorder manufacturer does not continue to do tests on older units with newer cards, the customer is left taking shots in the dark. Zoom stopped testing cards for the F6, and SD only ever tested a few for the MixPre-II.

EDIT: If I needed a new SD card for my F6, I would be trying something from the F8n Pro card list (PDF). That doc is current as of March 2022, and the F8 should present a more demanding load for the media compared to the F6.

The updated version of the Kingston 128 GB card I use is on the F8n Pro list. I would start there.

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #445 on: March 14, 2022, 01:16:03 PM »
The brand new Sandisk Ultra 64 gb just arrived - failed the performance test as well..
Thanks for your help, its just getting a little too expensive to buy all these new cards to find out that the recorder just fails - I will give up.
Hope I can restore the old firmware and that will help.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #446 on: March 14, 2022, 05:28:33 PM »
Bummer.  Somewhat surprised only because F8 (original) has never been picky about SD cards at all for me.  If the firmware restore doesn't do the trick you may need to return your F6 for another unit.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #447 on: March 14, 2022, 06:13:51 PM »
Bummer.  Somewhat surprised only because F8 (original) has never been picky about SD cards at all for me.  If the firmware restore doesn't do the trick you may need to return your F6 for another unit.

I also am starting to think something may be wrong with your unit, either with the firmware or hardware itself.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #448 on: March 15, 2022, 04:04:15 AM »
The problem is: It is already a replacement unit with the same problems.
I am afraid they changed the chipsets in the pandemic and all newer models are affected..
Or maybe its a firmware thing, I will try to find out how to get back to an older firmware version.
I cant believe how an audio recorder can destroy your recordings without any warnings on your display or audio.
You only notice the next day that everything is out of sync..

I also am starting to think something may be wrong with your unit, either with the firmware or hardware itself.

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #449 on: March 15, 2022, 10:07:58 AM »
A brand new Sandisk Extreme pro 32gb passed the test multiple times, then I got a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 gb and it immediately fails.
It seems like the F6 has problems with sdxc cards, while sdhc passes.
Unfortunately 32 gb will not get me through the day. Its 7 hours with all six channels activated.
So I will have to change cards when I keep the recorder running to sync later in post.
Thats very strange...
A lot of users reported they have absolutely no problems with larger SD extreme pro cards.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com