Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 144078 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #450 on: March 15, 2022, 08:46:59 PM »
A brand new Sandisk Extreme pro 32gb passed the test multiple times, then I got a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 gb and it immediately fails.
It seems like the F6 has problems with sdxc cards, while sdhc passes.
Unfortunately 32 gb will not get me through the day. Its 7 hours with all six channels activated.
So I will have to change cards when I keep the recorder running to sync later in post.
Thats very strange...
A lot of users reported they have absolutely no problems with larger SD extreme pro cards.

I just noticed something. Earlier you said "hope it's the same model" about the latest card you purchased. There is no need to hope; the part numbers should be clearly stated by your vendor. Please see my earlier post where I mentioned that unless you are using the same exact part numbers from those on the tested lists, then those cards are different internally (despite the same external branding). The branding of "Extreme Pro", "Ultra", etc. doesn't mean anything for this application. In this case, the only 64 GB SanDisk on the F8n Pro list (the newest Zoom tested list available) is SDSDUN4-064G-GN6IN.

I suspect that you may have not yet tried any cards that are on any of Zoom's approved lists. I know you have bought several cards already, but you need to try one of those cards first before thinking the new production run of F6 all have hardware problems. You may be correct, but let's minimize the variables.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline SoundPete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #451 on: March 16, 2022, 06:58:20 AM »
I just asked sandisk.
Most of my extreme pro cards are newer models: SDSDXXY-128G
Those Sandisk Model-Numbers are cards that were only available in Japan, as the last digits of the model number are region codes.
And they arent available today anymore. So basically its not possible to get a sandisk cards thats on the list today.

But the new Lexar I just bought is LSD128CB1667, which is on the list and it fails.
The only one that passes is the new Extreme Pro 32 gb - which is not on the list.
So maybe it has problems with SDXC - Cards.
I already ordered a Kingston-Card from the list - which is only available from amazon us.

I have never had problems with my cards on many differend cameras and audio recorders.
Its very strange that the zoom could be so picky about cards.
That would mean the recorder is useless, when all cards from the list arent available anymore?

This cannnot be possible, or they just built in a VERY cheap SD card reader..

A brand new Sandisk Extreme pro 32gb passed the test multiple times, then I got a brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 gb and it immediately fails.
It seems like the F6 has problems with sdxc cards, while sdhc passes.
Unfortunately 32 gb will not get me through the day. Its 7 hours with all six channels activated.
So I will have to change cards when I keep the recorder running to sync later in post.
Thats very strange...
A lot of users reported they have absolutely no problems with larger SD extreme pro cards.

I just noticed something. Earlier you said "hope it's the same model" about the latest card you purchased. There is no need to hope; the part numbers should be clearly stated by your vendor. Please see my earlier post where I mentioned that unless you are using the same exact part numbers from those on the tested lists, then those cards are different internally (despite the same external branding). The branding of "Extreme Pro", "Ultra", etc. doesn't mean anything for this application. In this case, the only 64 GB SanDisk on the F8n Pro list (the newest Zoom tested list available) is SDSDUN4-064G-GN6IN.

I suspect that you may have not yet tried any cards that are on any of Zoom's approved lists. I know you have bought several cards already, but you need to try one of those cards first before thinking the new production run of F6 all have hardware problems. You may be correct, but let's minimize the variables.

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #452 on: March 16, 2022, 07:02:36 AM »
And a lot of other users report they can use almost any card and the test passes.
For example you can find a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS7gI3MibnQ
They must have changed some components.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #453 on: March 16, 2022, 11:01:33 AM »
What has Zoom customer service been telling you?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #454 on: March 16, 2022, 11:04:07 AM »
For the audio jumps they are working on a firmware update.
The failing performance tests could be another reason they dont know yet.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #455 on: March 16, 2022, 11:07:38 AM »
For the audio jumps they are working on a firmware update.
The failing performance tests could be another reason they dont know yet.

OK, so they have at least acknowledged there is a problem.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #456 on: March 17, 2022, 07:49:31 AM »
We tried to roll the firmware back but its not possible, because its a new replacement unit with new components. https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/news/spec_changes/

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #457 on: March 23, 2022, 10:56:23 AM »
A new Kingston Canvas go 64gb sdg just arrived from the US, because its in the list.. failed. I give up - until now all SDXC cards failed - at least nine now. The only one working is SDHC. It must definitely be the recorder..

Offline SoundPete

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #458 on: April 08, 2022, 05:23:59 AM »
New update for the zoom f6 - fixing audio jumps?
According to the description, it should fix the audio jumps while recording a lot of users are complaining about.
But there are already some posts, that audio still jumps during recording even after the update.
And this doesnt only happen in dual recording mode - as zoom claims.
At least my card performance tests dont fail anymore after the update.
Did this fix the problem for you?

https://zoomcorp.com/en/de/news/f6updatev18/

Bug Fixes

Sound skips sometimes occur when recorded in Dual Mode.
    In rare cases, part of the metadata is saved incorrectly when recorded in Dual Mode.

mcfoster

« Reply #459 on: April 08, 2022, 09:19:48 AM »
Random question while this thread is active. Is there a way to not record the LR mix down track with every recording? It's just a waste of space for me on the card. Otherwise, sill loving this recorder.

BTW, Sometime soon, I am going to be able to do a Mix Pre II vs F6 sound shootout, as I am going to have 2 pairs of AKG CK3X caps to run through Modded MK46's to PFA's, and a buddy of mine has a MP3 II. So we will 32 bit float both of them from the same spot and pattern, normalize them and post the full show to archive. Really curious to AB them.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #460 on: April 08, 2022, 12:18:20 PM »
Random question while this thread is active. Is there a way to not record the LR mix down track with every recording? It's just a waste of space for me on the card. Otherwise, sill loving this recorder.
Yes. I have had my LR track disabled since day 1. See the user manual, pg. 36.

BTW, Sometime soon, I am going to be able to do a Mix Pre II vs F6 sound shootout, as I am going to have 2 pairs of AKG CK3X caps to run through Modded MK46's to PFA's, and a buddy of mine has a MP3 II. So we will 32 bit float both of them from the same spot and pattern, normalize them and post the full show to archive. Really curious to AB them.

Besides normalizing in post, you might want to try and set the MPII input gain to roughly match the levels you are getting on the F6 (fixed gain in 32FP mode). It might not matter at all, but it's possible that using more gain on the MPII would give you more of whatever "character" its preamps have.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

mcfoster

« Reply #461 on: April 08, 2022, 04:17:58 PM »
Got it turned off. Thanks. And yes, I was thinking the same, that we could possibly use a test tone on a stereo to match levels, then turn it up enough to bleed into float at the show? I don't think there are many comparisons out there, specially for the way we use the recorders.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #462 on: April 08, 2022, 04:47:02 PM »
And yes, I was thinking the same, that we could possibly use a test tone on a stereo to match levels, then turn it up enough to bleed into float at the show?

That would just be adding a bunch of digital gain, I think. If you are interested in comparing the pres, maybe it would be better not to add any gain post ADC?

mcfoster

« Reply #463 on: April 09, 2022, 11:38:42 AM »
Good thought, Pre's, ADC's so maybe just run 24/48 and run them like the old days?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #464 on: April 13, 2022, 10:42:10 AM »
just run 24/48 like the old days

This made me laugh.  Time is relative!

This comp will be interesting to hear.  If possible, consider swapping the two recorders at set-break.  That way, even if the two AKG CK3X pairs aren't an extremely close match with each other (and this could quite easily represent the biggest perceptual difference in the comparison), listeners can better discern that particular influence by comparing set to set as well.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com