Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the difference between the Tinybox versions?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
What is the difference between the Tinybox versions?
« on: May 15, 2019, 02:04:13 PM »
I'm curious. What is really the difference between the Tinybox versions? I know some has a power switch and some others don't, some has one output with high/low switch and some has two outputs (line/headphones).

How do you know which version is which? I have seen Tinyboxes with black front/grey text, grey front/blue text and blue front/orange text.

My Tinybox has a grey front/blue text, two outputs, power switch and and rear LED and I was told it's v2.2 or 2.3 which is most likely true.

I know at least some were built after the custom specs so perhaps it's impossible to really know?

Jon has a lot of specs here but I'm not sure it makes me wiser. I'm a swede and all that technical language makes me even more ???:lol:
https://naiant.com/tinybox-specification/
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Re: What is the difference between the Tinybox versions?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 02:34:59 PM »
Examples I've found:

"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »
They were all custom-made so you will never know unless the original purchaser has the receipt with all the details

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 10:31:17 PM »
I believe the blue face plate models have output transformers.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 06:35:01 AM »
the one you bought from me (3rd pic) is totally custom but is actually prob closest to a 2.4 (and subsequently had li-ion replaced with nimh), it was delivered in oct 2013. theres really not a lot of difference in the later versions, sound wise, just a few features which you may or not need

mine had 2 outputs and does not have hi/low switchable polarization voltage (its fixed at +54V)
it has low voltage in the 6-pin (+8V) for CMRs or PIP

low/medium/high gain is +4, +16, +30

more info from jon:

The headphone output also serves as a line output.  The main difference between a typical headphone and line output is the headphone output is high-current but low-voltage; the line output is high-voltage by low current.  The tinybox line/headphone output is high current and high voltage; it can drive 600 ohm (and higher) to +13dBV, and 16 ohm headphones to 170mW.

I used a new intermediate amp in this unit as it was more stable than the low noise amp.  Noise performance is in between; -122dBV (unweighted) EIN vs. -125dBV for the low-noise amp and -115dBV for the standard amp.  Its noise floor will be lower than the CMR or Nbox microphones.  It also uses 1/3 the current of the low-noise amp and only twice that of the standard amp, so runtimes will be longer than with the low-noise amp.

When you make cables for the Nbox I recommend grounding pins 2 and 3 (the CMR input pins) in the TA6F for lowest noise performance. This is not necessary nor recommended with the CMR cable; leave pins 5 and 6 unconnected for that.

The unit needs to be off while charging, otherwise it will charge more slowly (six hours rather than three), and the charge indicator LED will not be accurate. 

max output= +13 dbV
light on front turns red 6 dB before this (+7dbV), which may or may not be too hot for your recorder

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:46:38 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:12:23 AM »
the one you bought from me (3rd pic) is totally custom but is actually prob closest to a 2.4 (and subsequently had li-ion replaced with nimh), it was delivered in oct 2013. theres really not a lot of difference in the later versions, sound wise, just a few features which you may or not need

mine had 2 outputs and does not have hi/low switchable polarization voltage (its fixed at +54V)
it has low voltage in the 6-pin (+8V) for CMRs or PIP

low/medium/high gain is +4, +16, +30

more info from jon:

The headphone output also serves as a line output.  The main difference between a typical headphone and line output is the headphone output is high-current but low-voltage; the line output is high-voltage by low current.  The tinybox line/headphone output is high current and high voltage; it can drive 600 ohm (and higher) to +13dBV, and 16 ohm headphones to 170mW.

I used a new intermediate amp in this unit as it was more stable than the low noise amp.  Noise performance is in between; -122dBV (unweighted) EIN vs. -125dBV for the low-noise amp and -115dBV for the standard amp.  Its noise floor will be lower than the CMR or Nbox microphones.  It also uses 1/3 the current of the low-noise amp and only twice that of the standard amp, so runtimes will be longer than with the low-noise amp.

When you make cables for the Nbox I recommend grounding pins 2 and 3 (the CMR input pins) in the TA6F for lowest noise performance. This is not necessary nor recommended with the CMR cable; leave pins 5 and 6 unconnected for that.

The unit needs to be off while charging, otherwise it will charge more slowly (six hours rather than three), and the charge indicator LED will not be accurate. 

max output= +13 dbV
light on front turns red 6 dB before this (+7dbV), which may or may not be too hot for your recorder

Thank you! Great to know. :)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
Love my tb. Got it set up to run actives, pip, and 48v
Love my lb too, never use it with the bt but can't come to sell it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com