Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External battery backup for Tinybox?  (Read 5625 times)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
External battery backup for Tinybox?
« on: May 15, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »
Soon it's festival season and I would like to bring my "new" Tinybox with me. I'm pretty sure the battery won't last for four days of music. Do you guys know a power bank/external battery power that I can use to charge the Tinybox over night? I will not be able to charge it the normal way after I leave home. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: External battery backup for Tinybox?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 01:21:58 AM »
this is in the right voltage range and should charge it up at least 4 or 5 times if not more

https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-Battery-Portable/dp/B00MF70BPU
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 02:44:48 AM »
this is in the right voltage range and should charge it up at least 4 or 5 times if not more

https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Rechargeable-6000mAh-Battery-Portable/dp/B00MF70BPU

That's really nice. Unfortunately it seems like they are not shipping to Sweden. Most likely because the internal Li-ion battery.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 04:44:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure the battery won't last for four days of music.

I'm not so sure about that. The battery lasts pretty long. You will probably not be taping full days (as in 24 hours of recording per day), so just try to come up with an estimate based on the artists you'll be taping. I'm pretty sure the battery will be more than adequate.

I've never been to a four day event myself, but for the usual three day weekend festival I never ever had to recharge my tinybox.

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 05:07:19 AM »
I'm not so sure about that. The battery lasts pretty long. You will probably not be taping full days (as in 24 hours of recording per day), so just try to come up with an estimate based on the artists you'll be taping. I'm pretty sure the battery will be more than adequate.

I recently purchased the Tinybox. It has a NiMH battery. Not sure about the battery life as I haven't got the possibilty to test it yet. Hopefully I will have time enough to run it this weekend to see how many hours it will last.

I'm planning to record approximately 24 hours of music. It all the depends on the weather and if my feet/back allows me to stand still that long though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:35:38 AM by TheMetalist »

Offline u2_fly_2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 06:08:31 AM »
Great to hear that you got a new Tinybox. NiMH batteries usually have a long lasting life. Will you be able to get access to some electricity at "Sweden Rock Festival"?

Can you possibly recharge them there?

Will you bring your old batterybox too? As a back-up?

Taping at festivals can be really good and also tricky. First day goes well then the second day arrives and feets, backs, necks and arms starts to tell you to not stand any longer.

Also, how much memory do you have on the digital recorder?
Always good to bring two recorders if possible, just in case.

Good luck and I´m sure you´ll record some really great bands and will end up with superb recordings as always!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 06:27:05 AM »
can you get these?

they run 10V at lower currents. 2 or 3 wired in parallel should get you a day's worth of festy charge

https://www.mahaenergy.com/powerex-precharged-9-6v-230mah-1-pack/

That's really nice. Unfortunately it seems like they are not shipping to Sweden. Most likely because the internal Li-ion battery.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 09:40:39 AM »
Great to hear that you got a new Tinybox. NiMH batteries usually have a long lasting life. Will you be able to get access to some electricity at "Sweden Rock Festival"?
Thanks. I have no clue. At the camp we have no electricity. I doubt I will put my Tinybox in someone else's hands.

Will you bring your old batterybox too? As a back-up?
Yes. Most likely. But there has been lots of thefts at the camp previous years so I would rather keep most of my equipment back home.

Taping at festivals can be really good and also tricky. First day goes well then the second day arrives and feets, backs, necks and arms starts to tell you to not stand any longer.
For sure. I have more and more problems with this for every year.

Also, how much memory do you have on the digital recorder?
Always good to bring two recorders if possible, just in case.
I will only bring one of my M10 recorders. I have enough memory.

Good luck and I´m sure you´ll record some really great bands and will end up with superb recordings as always!

Thanks.

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »
can you get these?

they run 10V at lower currents. 2 or 3 wired in parallel should get you a day's worth of festy charge

https://www.mahaenergy.com/powerex-precharged-9-6v-230mah-1-pack/

Thinking about using 9V batteries with something like this. Is that possible?

https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/el-verktyg/batterier/batterihallare/luxorparts-batterikabel-for-arduino-p90652

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 07:10:05 PM »
yes but you'll get more juice out of the 9vs if you hack 2 of those into parallel- basically the voltage will stay higher for longer. a single 9V will suck down below 7V pretty quick and then your prob not charging at all

FWIW jon says the TB can NOT be operated while charging

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com