Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA Microdot to Full-size XLR? Possible?  (Read 5455 times)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
DPA Microdot to Full-size XLR? Possible?
« on: May 21, 2019, 12:47:29 PM »
Hi folks.

I currently have a very large, sensitive, Rhode NT1A on the desk here for teaching guitar online, podcasting, chatting, etc. But really, I'd love to be able to use one of my DPA 4060's clipped to my shirt. I just prefer the sound.

Is it possible to somehow wire things into my Focusrite audio interface, which is connected to my PC?

Is it possible to get a cable that goes from Microdot to full-size XLR? If so, won't the 48V phantom power from my interface totally fry the tiny little mic?

I have a D:vice for recording shows, but running that into my Windows machine doesn't give me any flexibility, no gain control etc.

All suggestions welcome. :)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: DPA Microdot to Full-size XLR? Possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »
You need an XLR Phantom power adapter.  Phantom power into the XLR, and 5-9V out to the microphone.  If your were to try and wire the microphone directly to the XLR you'd fry it.

DPA makes them with a hard-mounted microdot input on the microphone side, works with 12-48V phantom. Part# DAD6001
Naiant PFA works and has a cable input on the microphone side, would need an adapter or re-termination.
Other XLR phantom to 2-wire low voltage adapters with similar specs will also work.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
Thanks Gutbucket! That DPA adapter sounds like just the thing.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 01:40:07 PM »
There's discussion about these here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188289.0
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com