Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good DIY Batterybox plans?  (Read 9523 times)

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Good DIY Batterybox plans?
« on: August 29, 2019, 11:24:23 AM »
I have read all the threads on building a batterybox, but need some help with parts to use.

My goal is TINY and 9v or less.

This page seems to have the best instructions/pictures.  http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/14343-how-to-build-a-stereo-microphone-and-battery-box/

I am powering AT933s (SP's) and Church Audio CA14s. Church has said don't use 12v otherwise I would probably just buy the tiny Soundpro one. (SPSB10?)

I would love something the size of a tiny Altoids box.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:27:05 AM by Chrisedge »
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Good DIY Batterybox plans?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »
Sound professionals sp 8 mkii

Tiny and uses a  9 volt battery

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 12:29:12 PM »
My current one isn't much bigger than that. I have a SP-SPSB-1

I want to build a Ugly BB sized one. No roll off, literally the smallest thing out there. The Ugly fits on top of a 9v.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >

Offline mjwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
This page seems to have the best instructions/pictures.  http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/14343-how-to-build-a-stereo-microphone-and-battery-box/

That link looks like a pretty rough'n'ready guide to building your own "ugly clone". I'm not sure that I'd go with the battery dissection as a means of obtaining a simple battery clip, though! 

But first off I'd ask how confident you are working with small components, soldering, and generally that kind of thing. This is the crucial bit to making something reliable which doesn't short the battery & go up in smoke when in your pocket!  If you're not happy doing this, maybe you know someone locally who's into electronics - the parts themselves are all common enough to be in every enthusiast's parts bin.

As to component values, the consensus seems to be to use 6k8 resistors to bias the mics, and 1uF capacitors on the output.  Getting slightly more technical, most of the small electret capsules I have measured take between 0.2...0.7mA from the supply.  Using  ohm's law V=IR, that gives between 1.4...4.8V across the resistor, so that  gives roughly 4...7.5 V across your mic. This should be just fine (and FWIW isn't far off my own rule of 1k per volt of battery)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 04:40:09 PM »
Love that web page.Describes how to use hot melt glue and shrink wrap.
You can also use epoxy ... though it cannot be easily disassembled later.

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »
I want to build one small enough to fit on the back of a Sony A10 recorder. Really want to downsize my rig.

>:D

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 02:33:56 PM »
it's 4 0603  passives ( 2 resistors and 2 caps), a battery of your choosing and jack(s). pcb for the passives could be extremely tiny - like pinky nail small.  jack and battery are the hard part to keep small. maybe you could do something inline and have it all built into the cable.

maybe something like 2 of something from here for battery...

https://www.lipolbattery.com/Ultra-Thin-LiPo-Battery.html

you are in very thin territory now including pcb. but you need to worry about recharging these cells somehow.

i kind of like the idea of a credit card thin battery box now that i see these cells but not quite enough to go through with it.

a10 is pretty small, but there are some recorders that provide 5v pip.

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »
If I could fit it on top of a 9v, that would work. Ideally I would use a 6v 4LR44 A544 type battery that would fit into the "Smalls" Altoids tin (or smaller plastic case)

I would just bite the bullet and get a Church Ugly, but $25 + $20 for shipping is a bit high. The Sound Pro one is tiny, but 12v which might be too much for church mics.

Building one, I could forgo the jack housing(s) and just use input/output cables (I would love a 3" right angle output cable to just mount the battery box to the back of the A10, and run right in)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 12:34:56 AM »
what's wrong with the diy link above?

we're on the same page, i'm working on a smalls size pip preamp now with 6v battery. 9v is large in one dimension but overall a smalls tin is larger than a 9v battery.  smalls for just a battery box is a lot bigger than you need.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 09:58:54 AM »
theres an instructable where a dude gutted a 9V battery (which is just stacked cells), and used the case and the terminal plate from inside to make a USB charger (reversing male and female on the inside connections so it was correct when hooked to another battery). he ended up using half of the inner volume of the case so he cut it down and re bent it over the back plate so he ehded up with a usb-A charger that was 1/2 the size of a 9V in a proper case

i immediately thought of taper bat box for this, would be same size and better looking than a church ugly
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 11:12:12 AM »
Maybe the first circuit posted here could be adapted for this purpose.  You would just need two of them.
https://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/21475-dpa-406x-powering-circuits/&tab=comments
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Lutzow

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 12:37:32 PM »
@Chrisedge: Thank you for this thread, it's similar what I am looking for right now ;) And it's for the A10 as well.

After I followed the Minidisc Forum Link (See first post -> Sonyinsider.com) I build one up yesterday and it seams to work.

Capacitors are 10uf - 16V
Resistors: Metalfoil - 6,8kohm

I am using them with Roland Wearpro Binuaral mics (Omnis) and selfmade Mics.
I also realized I can use 9V (9V cell) with the selfmade ones and only 6V (4x AAA) with the Roland Mics.

the Trouble: I build the BatteryBox just for one purpose, because the MicIn of the Sony A10 and the Roland Mics are both very sensitiv and I thought about using the Line IN Mode to record a concert. If running directly into the A10 I need to set it to Reclevel 01 and even that is often to high.
Now after a quick test with the new BatteryBox, it works in LineIn, hurray! But also it seams, that the LineIn Mode on the A10 is just as sensitiv as the MicIn Mode is :D. So I need to add something like -20db attenuator after the BatteryBox now.

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 07:42:50 PM »
I used my 9v soundpro battery box (see sig) with the A10 this week on line in, rec level 10, and it worked fine. I want to use line in, with 9v. (Either traditional 9v or 6 L44 batteries)

I need links to the Capacitors / Resistors so I can order some and try it out.

-Chris

Offline scottE

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 02:16:43 PM »
Any updates on these DIY projects ?
SP-BMC-12
SP-SPSB-6

PCM-A10
Edirol R-09HR

Iphone + SC6-L+OKM

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 05:06:43 PM »
I saw your other post as well. I ended up with the 12v tiny battery box in my sig and it works great with the A10. Its smaller and thinner than any 9v box would be.

Offline scottE

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply :)

Is that the the SP-SPSB-10  You ended up with ?

Can you do a photo with A10 and that bb ?
SP-BMC-12
SP-SPSB-6

PCM-A10
Edirol R-09HR

Iphone + SC6-L+OKM

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com