Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A different sort of external battery option  (Read 4902 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
A different sort of external battery option
« on: December 03, 2019, 11:05:52 AM »
I'm going to try this battery box out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLD32RP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The DC 12V/9V/5V outputs should allow me to power various configurations and to replace my dying 9v DVD batteries I used with my R-44.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: A different sort of external battery option
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 03:12:29 PM »
I'm going to try this battery box out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLD32RP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The DC 12V/9V/5V outputs should allow me to power various configurations and to replace my dying 9v DVD batteries I used with my R-44.

I would advise against it . I might be wrong but UPS style batteries are not designed for long term (duration)   usage.  they are deisgned to allow a user to shut a computer down safely in the event of a power outage,   
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »
The one linked immediately above is well-tested by TS users at this point and has now replaced the aging DVD batteries of many tapers including myself.   I run an R44 off of one using a polarity inverting cable to accommodate the R44's DC input requirements. It provides a higher output amperage capability through it's 12V port of 6A (veses 1A for the one linked in the original post). I'm not sure what the R44 draws to determine if that is necessary.

They are both made by TalentCell, so presumably they are similar "under the hood".  Both are able to be used while charging, making both "UPS like" in functionality.  The form factor and extra output ports are nice.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 05:37:43 PM »
jefflester's suggestion does look better though the form factor of the one I posted will fit my bag for the Zoom F8n.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 05:56:50 PM »
FWIW, I use the same battery to power Zoom F8.  Works very well.

Only improvement I've considered is attaching something around the power switch to prevent accidental on/off switching, but that hasn't posed a problem for me  in ~3 years of use.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 06:01:32 PM »
FWIW, I use the same battery to power Zoom F8.  Works very well.

Only improvement I've considered is attaching something around the power switch to prevent accidental on/off switching, but that hasn't posed a problem for me  in ~3 years of use.

Something like this would be a lot of fun: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9278

"The band's about to take the stage...give me the launch codes."
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »
^Dig it!  This recording is da bomb!

..except that one actually does the opposite of what we want.  It forces the switch to one position (intended as open) upon closing the lockout cover-

"The hot red safety cover protects a toggle switch from accidentally being turned on. When flipped up, the user has full access to a switch underneath. Upon closing the cover, the cover will force the switch arm back into the lower position - a safety mechanism so you can quickly hit the cover down and deactivate the switch."

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
Mount it upside down?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »
Just having fun pointing out the irony.  That safety cover is intended for a traditional stem-handle toggle switch.  Could rotate it 180 degrees, but the safety cover would then force such a switch to the ON position with the cover closed.

Doesn't matter for this application since the power switch on the TallentCell is a flat rectangular toggle which the safety cover would not operate on directly.  It would only cover it and not actually physically lock it in either position when closed.  After the round hole for the stem-handle toggle switch was dremel'd out to fit the rectangular switch.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com