Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tinybox 9 volt Mod  (Read 8811 times)

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Needs to get out more...
Tinybox 9 volt Mod
« on: February 26, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »
I decided to change the internal 7.2 volt internal cell to a 9 volt rechargeable. It just fits inside. I can now power from the internal, or also connect an external 9 volt pack simultaneously, which extends the run time significantly.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Tinybox 9 volt Mod
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 11:23:21 PM »
cool move. those li-ion 9Vs arent 9V but thats good, as they run at the same voltage as the packs.

does it charge ok with the default setup? Out of the box the TBs couldnt charge and operate at the same time, so what you describe is def. different
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:31:20 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 07:10:21 AM »
The internal battery and external DC input are in parallel, so yes the tinybox is powered by both at the same time.  With the 7.2 volt pack, you could do the same thing, but you would have to limit the external input to 8.4 volts max. With this mod it is much easier because you can use 9 volt cells.
The internal cell has to be rechargeable.

9 volt operation has the added advantage of keeping the amplifier circuits at proper DC supply levels. There have been performance issues noted with the 7.2 volt battery discharging during use and causing distortion due to low DC levels. 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:02:43 AM »
yes but again it’s not a ‘9V’

it’s the exact same configuration as the original li-ion (if so equipped)... 2 3.6V (aka 4.2V) cells in series

if the previous battery didn’t operate the unit correctly, it shouldn’t have been because of the battery type, it was likely because the battery was defective (same for the 5*nimh cells batteries, which are slightly lower voltage but still operate the unit to full spec, afaik.) they run about 6v until they start to tail off

more importantly, putting 9v in parallel with that battery sounds dangerous. they can take higher voltages as long as cell voltage isn’t above 8.4, but once they hit 8.4 the voltage needs to be controlled. with an external 9v you can be well past 1C charge rate and hit 8.4 sooner than you think. practically speaking those 9V alkalines wont be above 8.4v for long with any significant load on them. in any case if you didn’t alter the circuit inside there’s a charge controller onboard, as tiny boxes charged from any unregulated wall wart of adequate voltage.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:22:13 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
Thank you for the pictures and clarification.

I still don't understand how it's possible to fit a 9V battery inside of the unit? I have tried in mine but no... The 9V battery is too long. Looking at your pictures, your TB seems to have a different circuit board than mine. Perhaps yours is smaller so you have more space inside.

What kind of connector do you use for the external power? I have tried various connectors but none really stick nicely in the 9-15V input plug. I'm afraid it would come loose when in stealth mode and stuffed away in my bag.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 11:42:00 AM by TheMetalist »
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 11:14:13 AM »
I think it's the "M" plug. I'm not absolutely sure.  I had one that fit properly
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:26:14 PM by Walstib62 »

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 11:42:28 AM »
I think it's the "M" plug. I'm not absolutely sure.  I had one the fit properly
Thanks. I'll check that out.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline youngsbest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 01:39:40 PM »
I did something similar for my pipsqueak.  The internal battery failed, so I got a new one from Naiant, but it's expensive as I'm in the UK.  I got a four AAA battery holder and wired that up to fit the pipsqueak and removed the internal battery. I cut a notch in the case for the cable & attached it with some elastic webbing. I can charge the batteries in an ordinary charger before putting in the holder. It adds about 12mm in height to the pipsqueak, but that's not a problem for me.  So no more battery worries.  The four AAAs give 4.8v, the same as the internal battery.  If I used non rechargeable batteries, that would be 6v.  Would that damage the pipsqueak?

Offline perks

• Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »
I love reading about alternative powering solutions for the Naiant preamps especially the Tinybox as I stopped using mine once the battery I got when I purchased the device became unreliable. I tip my hat to all the pioneers willing to test out new options. I guess my question is why wouldn't Jon have offered an option like this during the build? It just seems like such a simple solution or at least no more complicated than Jon's offer and remedy to replace the internal rechargeables when their life finally expires.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 02:07:43 AM by perks »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 10:25:49 PM »
UPDATE:  I performed the first "run time" test today. I have a pair of AT 933 mics powered, and currently at 13 hours the power LED is still green. Battery voltage is at 7.7 volts, down from 8.4 at full charge. The really cool thing here is that the Talentcell battery can charge from USB. I enlarged the hole in the rear panel to allow access to the USB connector. Before I started the test, the battery was discharged to the point that tinybox would not power up. As soon as I plugged in the USB, tinybox powered up and LED was green, fully functional and passing signal just fine. This tells me that the USB can be used to charge the battery and power the unit simultaneously. Picture of rear panel below.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 10:32:17 PM »
oh i see! so the tbox doesnt see that as 'charging' from the usual charging circuit, just dc power from the bat itself

clever!

Offline TheMetalist

• Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 02:47:46 AM »
I still don't get how you can fit the battery inside the tinybox. Is the Talentcell smaller
(in lenght) than a regular 9v alkaline?

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 07:54:06 AM »
I still don't get how you can fit the battery inside the tinybox. Is the Talentcell smaller
(in lenght) than a regular 9v alkaline?

you may need to put short spacers behind the rear panel to extend it out about 3mm but it should fit

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 08:03:53 AM »
+T on this Mod!   :smash:

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 08:25:24 AM »
you may need to put short spacers behind the rear panel to extend it out about 3mm but it should fit

alternatively you could dremel out the backplate to the same cross section of the battery itself and let it stick out 1/8" or whatever, and hot glue it to the plate so you have a positive female socket to plug the usb charger into

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com