Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Describe your Zoom Video Chat setup!  (Read 7923 times)

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Describe your Zoom Video Chat setup!
« on: March 31, 2020, 12:26:30 PM »
With most of the US self isolating and video conferencing into work meetings from home, I know that some of you have figured out ways to use real mics instead of the horrible mics on the webcams. Especially since there are no more live events and our poor, expensive mics are sitting there looking at us with sad puppy eyes.

My work is late to the game and we will be doing our first Zoom meeting today, so I have to confess I've been thinking about setting up a Zoom vid con station here.

I'm thinking about Schoeps MK5 (omni) > SD USBPre 2 > computer to keep it simple.

Anyone else thinking on the same lines? How did you set it up? Bonus points if you are using a real video cam instead of the shitty camera on laptops or phones.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Describe your Zoom Video Chat setup!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »
Talk of this is Zooming about, and not having seen it I still keep thinking "audio recorder".. then in talking with my elderly parents today they asked for assistance in getting their built-in cams working on Ipad and WinComp for the virtual Zoom to church next weekend.  Apparently they got it to work and participated last Sunday, only without the self-reflective eye upon themselves.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 04:15:40 PM »
I am curious if Zoom is really secure, and if folks should be running business and govt' meetings on it. It IS HQ'd in China.
They admit it's not HIPAA compliant.

On topic, I have my Sound Devices MixPre6 set up on my Mac via USB and it's weird. When I wake the Mac from sleep, I have to take the SD out of USB AUDIO mode and set it briefly to USB POWER ONLY before switching it back in order to make the Mac see it as an audio device.
Then. I tried using the Y cable it came with, which enables it to run on full power from 2 USB-A plugs, but when it's left plugged in to the POWER one, it does not wake up at all from sleep.
I guess the Mixpre6 is ABLE to be used as a USB interface, but it's not designed for it.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 05:46:20 PM »
I think you're looking at the wrong Zoom! Zoom Video (NASDAQ: ZM) is based in Silicon Valley. The other Zoom is a company that used to make cheap modems and networking gear, and they are in China. It's funny, stock traders have been mixing up the ticker symbols, and those who want to invest in ZM accidentally invest in ZOOM. The latter is thinly traded and was a penny stock, but with this new interest, owners of ZOOM shares experienced a huge appreciation!

They are new and this pandemic basically accelerated their plans to scale, so these privacy concerns may be something real.

I am curious if Zoom is really secure, and if folks should be running business and govt' meetings on it. It IS HQ'd in China.

On topic, I have my Sound Devices MixPre6 set up on my Mac via USB and it's weird. When I wake the Mac from sleep, I have to take the SD out of USB AUDIO mode and set it briefly to USB POWER ONLY before switching it back in order to make the Mac see it as an audio device.
Then. I tried using the Y cable it came with, which enables it to run on full power from 2 USB-A plugs, but when it's left plugged in to the POWER one, it does not wake up at all from sleep.
I guess the Mixpre6 is ABLE to be used as a USB interface, but it's not designed for it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 05:48:00 PM by tedyun »
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »

That's strange. I've been running my MP6 as a desktop interface for a few weeks and it's been working perfectly with my Mac using USB-C to USB-C. I'm mostly using it as a headphone amp but have ran mics through it a few times.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
I don't do anything special. Just a pair of apple headphones (but I've been using zoom for work for years.) I have run a few streams through it using dante via straight out of a 24 fader soundcraft board. That was kinda fun

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 07:10:31 PM »
The other Zoom is a company that used to make cheap modems and networking gear, and they are in China.

Thanks for reminding me of my old POS 14.4kbps modem I had from them.  US Robotics for the win!  :P
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline morst

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 08:26:46 PM »
That's strange. I've been running my MP6 as a desktop interface for a few weeks and it's been working perfectly with my Mac using USB-C to USB-C.
My Mac is old and doesn't have USB-C, in fact it's only got USB-2. I've been running the SD via USB-3.0 on a thunderbolt hub, perhaps it would behave differently if I plugged it into one of the original 2.0's and used a brick on the power side of the Y cable.

Oh good point about the two ZOOMs thing. I think I was confused too.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 11:16:01 PM »
The Zoom security issues are absolutely real:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/31/zoom-at-your-own-risk/

Also check out the Zoom app wiki page.

Jeff

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 06:25:16 AM »
Sennheiser e614 > Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 > USB > ThinkPad

I could care less about the security issues when I am having a smoother chat with Zoom than with Hangouts.
A few of my tech buddies suggest using a feature where anyone joining the room has to be approved for entry as a last step.
(I didn't read the thread much, just posted my setup after scanning down quickly)
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline morst

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 01:08:26 PM »
Thanks. I had read headlines and tweets but could not find documentation of what I had heard.
I could care less about the security issues when I am having a smoother chat with Zoom than with Hangouts.

That's a dangerous attitude to take for granted.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 01:29:37 PM »
Thanks. I had read headlines and tweets but could not find documentation of what I had heard.

That's a dangerous attitude to take for granted.

Idk. I kinda just assume nothing on the internet is really secure.

Offline splumer

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 05:24:13 PM »
I record medical school lectures for a living, and we went to all-online in mid-March. We've been running lectures over Zoom, and I've been originating them from my family room:

The aquarium I had in my office until they told us not to come in anymore.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 10:08:58 AM »
IN: Line Audio CM3 > Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 > Google Meet

OUT: Drop O2+SDAC > Sennheiser 6XX

As to more secure web conferencing, I have been reading great things from the infosec-minded crowd about Jitsi Meet.  It's not like I'm going to convince my employer to use it, but I might try it out with friends.  For one thing, the meeting controls are really good.  It's also open-source, so you can roll your own version of it.  You can also host your own instance on your own server for full control of where everyone's data is going.

https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »

Bruce Schneier weighs in...
https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram/archives/2020/0415.html#cg15
"In general, Zoom's problems fall into three broad buckets: (1) bad privacy practices, (2) bad security practices, and (3) bad user configurations."
"In the meantime, you should either lock Zoom down as best you can, or -- better yet -- abandon the platform altogether. Jitsi is a distributed, free, and open-source alternative."
"New York City has banned Zoom from its schools."

About Bruce Schneier
Bruce Schneier is an internationally renowned security technologist, called a "security guru" by The Economist. He is the author of over one dozen books--including his latest, Click Here to Kill Everybody

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com